Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The comments on that article are so angsty, lol.
Yes, what I was thinking.
"....We can share top billing. We can share in our successes. ..." Define 'our'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The comments on that article are so angsty, lol.
The inferiority/superiority complex Charlotte has with the Triangle is pretty hilarious. It's obviously more extreme on this forum vs. in real world interactions but it's still palpable in casual conversation.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
Interesting read. the "prime" corridor lol

I wonder how far up capital blvd. They should just demolish so much of that boulevard, its hideous
I agree it's a pretty nasty looking section of Raleigh. At one point it was hopping but all the retail there has just died. Now it's mostly gas stations and car dealers. Amazon buying up that land would be amazing for the area but no way will it happen.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM

609 posts, read 505,796 times
I predict that Raleigh will get AMZN HQ2, then will also get an MLS Franchise.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I agree it's a pretty nasty looking section of Raleigh. At one point it was hopping but all the retail there has just died. Now it's mostly gas stations and car dealers. Amazon buying up that land would be amazing for the area but no way will it happen.
Don't forget all the storage units!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM

571 posts, read 715,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm not sure where the Northern Virginia proposal is based, but I can see Tysons being a highly attractive contender. Traffic is a nightmare all over the region
I lived in the DC area for years and, yes, traffic is horrible throughout much of the Virginia suburbs. Apart from the I-66 freeway, it's not so bad in Arlington and a few other places. But I-95, 395 and the Beltway are always bad. But I would have to say the absolute worst traffic is in Tysons Corner. You would never want to find yourself in TC during rush hour. I found myself in that situation by accident before and it was horrible. Traffic is the reason I always set up my household within walking distance of a metro station. I always rode metro to work so getting to work was never stressful for me. I would sit down and read the newspaper every morning, enjoying every minute of my commute. TC may be better now that the Silver Line runs through there.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM

571 posts, read 715,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
I predict that Raleigh will get AMZN HQ2, then will also get an MLS Franchise.
Please don't hold your breath on Raleigh getting Amazon 2. It' going to Boston.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I lived in the DC area for years and, yes, traffic is horrible throughout much of the Virginia suburbs. Apart from the I-66 freeway, it's not so bad in Arlington and a few other places. But I-95, 395 and the Beltway are always bad. But I would have to say the absolute worst traffic is in Tysons Corner. You would never want to find yourself in TC during rush hour. I found myself in that situation by accident before and it was horrible. Traffic is the reason I always set up my household within walking distance of a metro station. I always rode metro to work so getting to work was never stressful for me. I would sit down and read the newspaper every morning, enjoying every minute of my commute. TC may be better now that the Silver Line runs through there.
I lived 3 miles from Tysons Mall for 12 years (in Vienna). Yes, traffic is a big mess around there. I moved here right before the Silver line was built, so I don't know how it has impacted commuting. But I agree, I would take the Metro to commute if I could. I worked in DC for 9 years and can count on one hand how many times I drove in. I always say I got my grad degree on the Metro. It was where I did all of my studying! It is one of the things I miss greatly, living here. I hate having to drive everywhere I go.

Traffic is notoriously bad in DC, and obviously the Amazon execs. (and everyone else) knows that. Who knows how it will affect their decision? I, for one, cannot imagine a company of that size being added into the already overcrowded metro, but obviously the powers that be in DC want it, and Amazon is clearly seriously considering it with three possible locales in their list of 20. I'm personally rooting for Philadelphia (my hometown).

Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
Here's a bit of info that I just read in an article that I wasn't aware of:

It will also be interesting to see whether local businesses step up their marketing efforts. The announcement of Amazon's shortlist brings our attention to the "secret" winners of HQ2-potential partner corporations that will benefit from having Amazon as a neighbor without having to foot the bill for the company's sure-to-be lavish demands.

One example would be Red Hat RHT , an open-source software and enterprise IT company based in Raleigh, North Carolina. The company has a strategic partnership with Amazon's Web Services unit and is rapidly growing its cloud offerings. Raleigh hits on several other key requirements, including its close proximity to top schools like Duke and UNC, but the presence of Red Hat is almost certainly a factor

This partnership with Red Hat could truly make Raleigh a leading contender.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Here's a bit of info that I just read in an article that I wasn't aware of:

It will also be interesting to see whether local businesses step up their marketing efforts. The announcement of Amazon's shortlist brings our attention to the "secret" winners of HQ2-potential partner corporations that will benefit from having Amazon as a neighbor without having to foot the bill for the company's sure-to-be lavish demands.

One example would be Red Hat RHT , an open-source software and enterprise IT company based in Raleigh, North Carolina. The company has a strategic partnership with Amazon's Web Services unit and is rapidly growing its cloud offerings. Raleigh hits on several other key requirements, including its close proximity to top schools like Duke and UNC, but the presence of Red Hat is almost certainly a factor

This partnership with Red Hat could truly make Raleigh a leading contender.
That’s pretty interesting! But idk it seems like there are a few cities that people swear will win because of this or that. Bezos bought a mansion in DC so they’re obviously going to win! Or Amazon bought Whole Foods so it'll be in Austin of course! Etc etc. I still don’t think Raleigh will win but I think it’s also still being underrated. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in the top 5 at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary