Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Mike, you didn't want the Triangle to get it?

If Amazon chose the Triangle, wouldn't housing prices undoubtedly increase even more than they currently are, which in turn causes your commissions to increase, which in turn will let you go from being a millionaire to a billionaire to eventually a trillionaire!

Or you just don't want the increased traffic.
I'm not motivated by volatility in the real estate market.
And, I don't mean to be insensitive to the jobs that would be created, jobs that are desired by many people.

I just want to be a NIMBY with Benefits.
Charlotte or the Triad work for me over the Triangle.

Really, though. One private employer dwarfing the next 10 or 12 so largest private Wake/Research Triangle Park employers combined seems like a ton of eggs in one basket, and a fit for a larger city.
Philadelphia, perhaps.

This list is not complete, but delivers the point, I think:
Major Employers - Raleigh Chamber of Commerce | Raleigh, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 07:35 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm not motivated by volatility in the real estate market.
And, I don't mean to be insensitive to the jobs that would be created, jobs that are desired by many people.

I just want to be a NIMBY with Benefits.
Charlotte or the Triad work for me over the Triangle.

Really, though. One private employer dwarfing the next 10 or 12 so largest private Wake/Research Triangle Park employers combined seems like a ton of eggs in one basket, and a fit for a larger city.
Philadelphia, perhaps.

This list is not complete, but delivers the point, I think:
Major Employers - Raleigh Chamber of Commerce | Raleigh, NC
You know Mike I said the same thing over in the Charlotte forum about how I think we dodged a bullet and I was accused of having sour grapes. There's a reason why the second headquarters isn't being built in Seattle

Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Aside from the "Tidy town" and the lack of young professionals comments, every thing Keith wrote was spot on, and none of it is why Amazon didn't pick Charlotte. Here's the real reason why Amazon didn't want Charlotte....Ready.....

A major Tech company has NEVER picked Charlotte over RTP. The truth is that major tech companies go to the Triangle when they come to NC. This is nothing new. The only thing new about Amazon is that the hunt has been opened up to public scrutiny. Back in the day, the competition was secret and nobody knew who the losers were.
This is so true. Over the years I was in commercial construction and development, I was involved or aware of because others in my office we’re working on several high profile searches for both Office space and a positively MASSIVE industrial tract that most people never even knew were even a possibility. Sometimes we knew who the client was and had to sign an NDA and sometimes we had no idea, just a code name.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
You know Mike I said the same thing over in the Charlotte forum about how I think we dodged a bullet and I was accused of having sour grapes. There's a reason why the second headquarters isn't being built in Seattle
"Sour Grapes?"

Well, you know how those folks in Charlotte can be...

Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Aside from the "Tidy town" and the lack of young professionals comments, every thing Keith wrote was spot on, and none of it is why Amazon didn't pick Charlotte. Here's the real reason why Amazon didn't want Charlotte....Ready.....

A major Tech company has NEVER picked Charlotte over RTP. The truth is that major tech companies go to the Triangle when they come to NC. This is nothing new. The only thing new about Amazon is that the hunt has been opened up to public scrutiny. Back in the day, the competition was secret and nobody knew who the losers were.
This is exactly the point. Amazon told the Charlotte partnership that they lost because of the small tech pool...and sadly enough everyone in Charlotte believed it. That was akin to Amazon saying to Charlotte "bless your heart" and giving Charlotte the middle finger all at the same time. The fact that cities with smaller tech pools than Charlotte made the list proves that it was not about Charlotte's tech talent.

There were so many issues with that video (I can list at least 10-15 glaring marketing blunders), there is no way in the world a company as sophisticated as Amazon would partner with a city that represents itself in such a way, not even to mention is negligent enough to let that video slip by and on top of that, think that the video was even remotely appropriate.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Good try but this was not a competition between RTP and Charlotte. There are several instances where competing areas/cities in the same state or region made the cut: Dallas and Austin, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, NYC and Newark, DC/MontCo/NoVA. There is no reason Raleigh and Charlotte both couldn't be on the shortlist. This has nothing to do with RTP being a better tech option than Charlotte, and you know it.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Good try but this was not a competition between RTP and Charlotte. There are several instances where competing areas/cities in the same state or region made the cut: Dallas and Austin, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, NYC and Newark, DC/MontCo/NoVA. There is no reason Raleigh and Charlotte both couldn't be on the shortlist. This has nothing to do with RTP being a better tech option than Charlotte, and you know it.
No southeastern state had more than one city; there is definitely a pattern in the southeast. Florida easily could have had three cities but it didn't

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
[quote=urbancharlotte;50822584
Don't be. It's just what some one else has written. It's the viewpoint of a conservative in his 60s. Do a youtube search for " Young Dolph In Charlotte official video" and you'll see a VERY different viewpoint of Charlotte with over 1 million views. Young Dolph is a Memphis rapper by the way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i know who Dolph is. Got his van lit up while in Charlotte last year was it? Anyways my point was it made me squirm a bit that the typical negatives people will say about Charlotte on here (it trys too hard, isn't genuine blah blah) was echoed by a Charlotte writer published in the Charlottes paper.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:30 AM

It was written by a 60 year old conservative writer who likes to troll his city that is ran by liberals. It was his way of saying hey Charlotte your liberal agenda and your liberal policies are not working for you very well.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
No southeastern state had more than one city; there is definitely a pattern in the southeast. Florida easily could have had three cities but it didn't
Ok, if this explanation helps you sleep better at night and avoid the elephant in the room, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary