Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2021, 09:09 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How about "Where's your In-N-Out?"
They'll forget all about In-N-Out and their garbage raw fries when they are introduced to Cook Out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 09:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We went through Heritage the other day to pick up Las Margaritas and the traffic going the other way was horrendous - a 3/4 mile backup to turn at Rogers. Looks like they are building more stuff up that way as well. What a mess.

Yup. Its nuts. We took the kids to the spiderweb park in Heritage (the big one on Rogers heading to Rolesville) and met a couple as the kids were all playing together.

They moved here from VA at the end of last year, literally saw the house they bought once for 15 minutes (because of the craziness of the market). Moved down sometime later after they had stripped all the land along 98/Heritage Lake.

They went from a house when they saw it the one time they bought it, which was surrounded by forest to a house with literally no forest around them by the time they moved in.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:01 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,161,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
They'll forget all about In-N-Out and their garbage raw fries when they are introduced to Cook Out.
Doubt that. In-N-Out has a cult like following and i'm included.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:11 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,536,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I hope everyone is prepared for the possible changes in quality of life here.
Consider that the Raleigh you know exists because other people, in the 1960s and 1970s and on, welcomed "possible changes in quality of life." Who are we to say that our particular moment is the absolute best one? I, for one, vastly prefer the 2021 version of Wake County to the 1991 version of Wake County that I clearly remember. So do my parents, who moved from California in the 1970s.

People inevitably change, and places inevitably change with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
Foreign investors have been buying up these townhomes for the last 3 years that I have been here.
How do you know that they're "foreign investors" and not immigrants who live here? NAR says that "Half of foreign buyers purchased the property for primary residence use."

I see lots of people blaming shadowy "others" for invading our homes -- when, in fact, much of the change that we see is homegrown. 17% of NC's population growth comes from immigration, 51% from "transplants" moving from other states, and 32% from NC native babies.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:14 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Consider that the Raleigh you know exists because other people, in the 1960s and 1970s and on, welcomed "possible changes in quality of life." Who are we to say that our particular moment is the absolute best one? I, for one, vastly prefer the 2021 version of Wake County to the 1991 version of Wake County that I clearly remember. So do my parents, who moved from California in the 1970s.

How do you know that they're "foreign investors" and not immigrants who live here? NAR says that "Half of foreign buyers purchased the property for primary residence use."
Exactly. We can adapt and move on or become a place people don't want to live. That never works out.

As far as roads and traffic, people should lobby the DOT and to a lesser extent their local government and ask to have your taxes raised, locally and statewide. No one who is constantly beating the drum for low taxes should ever be allowed to say one word about infrastructure lacking.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:59 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
I don't know about quality of life, but it makes me sad that it's only going to be rich tech people who can afford to buy houses here, which is what happened in Silicon Valley and the Bay area.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,161,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I don't know about quality of life, but it makes me sad that it's only going to be rich tech people who can afford to buy houses here, which is what happened in Silicon Valley and the Bay area.
I bet if you were a rich tech person you'd be signing a different tune.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I bet if you were a rich tech person you'd be signing a different tune.
That kind of doesn't make any sense at all in relation to what I said.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:04 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
As a former non-profit program director who had hundreds of colleagues who fall into this bracket and know that there are THOUSDANDS of others..... I must agree my heart aches a bit knowing that homeownership will dwindle and largely be out of reach for those in that (incredibly important and honorable) career-field and payscale in the coming years compared to very recent history.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:09 PM

781 posts, read 743,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

I see lots of people blaming shadowy "others" for invading our homes -- when, in fact, much of the change that we see is homegrown. 17% of NC's population growth comes from immigration, 51% from "transplants" moving from other states, and 32% from NC native babies.

But that means the other half are likely renting them out. Don’t worry, they all think it’s the Yankees pushing up them out....They won’t realize who’s buying until they start digging like me. I’m honestly only well aware from living in CA, a people should watch “Million Dollar Shack” on You Tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary