Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 03:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Well where we ended were people misinformed about whether speech therapy is offered, and some weird mocking of pronunciations (one that appears on a racial fault line). It’s a weird place to say the least. Dial it back.

By all means. I was just trying to answer your (and Corgi Dad's) inquiry. Although, not sure what I personally have to dial back....but that could be just a general request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 03:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
By all means. I was just trying to answer your (and Corgi Dad's) inquiry. Although, not sure what I personally have to dial back....but that could be just a general request.
It’s a general request.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:36 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It’s a general request.
Roger that.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:21 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Big Money Apple Jobs -> Impact on already crazy housing market -> Impact on Infrastructure -> Impact on Schools -> School services in NC broadly given our states lack of desire investing in schools; 45th in the nation based on spending $/pupil, 47th in the nation in funding $/pupil.

Fairly clear, albeit tangent, lines back to the original topic. Apple investing in Education as part of this agreement ties back directly

Or at least that is how I think we got here.
Yes

Old 05-10-2021, 05:57 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I think Unions are piece of the puzzle. Social services and special education services. If my child needed any special education I would have never move to NC. It is a night and day difference from what you can get in NY from the County, State and School district. That said, I hope Apple does invest in education here, the NCGA is not doing it. They are more interested in exercising power plays over public schools and privatizing education.
Well you have to remember that NC has the 2nd highest rural population in the country (Penn. is No. 1).

That translates to many rural schools across the state in all 100 counties.

The cost to operate them is lower than in metro counties so that skews the cost per pupil stuff slightly.

Rural students are more apt to drop out before graduating and their test scores are lower.

I went to rural public school in Franklin County, NC. We never had AC and only in my senior year did the high school get AC window units.

Most Wake parents probably see Franklin Co. schools as awful and they are compared to Wake, Durham and Chapel Hill.

But access is there for motivated students to learn as much as they want to.

I believe parents are this biggest influence on a child's education, and I don't think throwing money at every underperforming school will solve the problem.

I agree that NC public schools are very basic compared to NY, NJ and MA.

Some additional investment could improve many areas of NC's schools.

NC"s teachers are about the only unionized group in NC, so how unions factor into students' success i'll let someone else wade into that.

When I said social services I was really talking about social safety nets and things like medicaid.

NY's Medicaid will pay for even very expensive drugs that are helpful additions to someone's disease but not the direct course of treatment such as testosterone replacement gel.

That can be very expensive and that's just one example of the generous benefits in NY.

It's all relative because compared to Georgia, NC has much more comprehensive everything among the state's agencies. NC is quite dee-luxe by comparison.

One example is annual automobile safety inspections. Georgians don't know what that is because that's one of hundreds of things not practiced by the state at all here.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:23 AM

82 posts, read 134,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

NC"s teachers are about the only unionized group in NC, so how unions factor into students' success i'll let someone else wade into that.

No unions in NC for teachers. They have advocacy groups instead (for example, the North Carolina Association of Educators). Beside, state law prohibit collective bargaining.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:19 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
As a North Carolinian born in Fayetteville and raised in Raleigh and now living in Austin. I really, really hope the RDU area and Triangle at large take all the precautious and plan to the best of the ability for the next level of growth for the area. Overall the area has managed to avoid the pitfalls and problems that have plagued similar metros as they grew and has managed not to lose it's character.

Making sure that the infrastructure in all ways, electric, water, road, bike, rail, air is ready is paramount. Also, providing housing at all levels. For X amount of single family homes X amount of apartments or townhomes, duplexes etc. should also be built. Also X amount of affordable housing units and THIS is a biggie X amount of new build starter homes (starter homes are nearly impossible to find most anywhere in the country).

Having moved to Austin a couple years ago from Dallas it is very evident to see what happens when a metro area has ample time and is proactive about building out the cities and suburbs in a smart way (DFW), and when they don't as Austin's single family house price just past $515,000, transit is bare bones for the most part, and homelessness is atrocious, along with an increase in crime and astronomical tax hikes.

The FAANG companies are a particularly vicious beast. The salaries simply can't be matched by most other professions and in turn when too many of those style companies infiltrate an area it really disrupts the cost of living. Raleigh-Durham is a really unique area so I'm really hoping it doesn't lose that special something. I personally was not happy to hear of Apple choosing the area but at least its some years away.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 16,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Raleigh-Durham is a really unique area so I'm really hoping it doesn't lose that special something. I personally was not happy to hear of Apple choosing the area but at least its some years away.
Not necessarily... Apple is supposedly looking to staff a temporary office location until it completes its RTP campus:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-to-lease.html

Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Yeah, back in 2018 when the rumors were initially flying, they were supposedly looking to take the Fidelity building on Weston as temporary space but that's since filled up with other tenants. MetLife 3 puts them right in the same high-demand spot, and is actually a little bigger.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:44 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
As a North Carolinian born in Fayetteville and raised in Raleigh and now living in Austin. I really, really hope the RDU area and Triangle at large take all the precautious and plan to the best of the ability for the next level of growth for the area. Overall the area has managed to avoid the pitfalls and problems that have plagued similar metros as they grew and has managed not to lose it's character.

Making sure that the infrastructure in all ways, electric, water, road, bike, rail, air is ready is paramount. Also, providing housing at all levels. For X amount of single family homes X amount of apartments or townhomes, duplexes etc. should also be built. Also X amount of affordable housing units and THIS is a biggie X amount of new build starter homes (starter homes are nearly impossible to find most anywhere in the country).

Having moved to Austin a couple years ago from Dallas it is very evident to see what happens when a metro area has ample time and is proactive about building out the cities and suburbs in a smart way (DFW), and when they don't as Austin's single family house price just past $515,000, transit is bare bones for the most part, and homelessness is atrocious, along with an increase in crime and astronomical tax hikes.

The FAANG companies are a particularly vicious beast. The salaries simply can't be matched by most other professions and in turn when too many of those style companies infiltrate an area it really disrupts the cost of living. Raleigh-Durham is a really unique area so I'm really hoping it doesn't lose that special something. I personally was not happy to hear of Apple choosing the area but at least its some years away.
Much of Raleigh's housing that was built in the last 20 years could classify as starter homes if you subtract the likely equal number of more expensive homes. I'm referring to the 200K-300K range homes that are very nice when new but lees so 25 years later without continuous upkeep.

There's no way tha6 the thousands of tract homes will be meticulously maintained well enough over the long haul to look good 20 years from now.

I'm worried that the vast areas of lower price point homes will become tomorrow's ghettos.

The NE part of Raleigh has always been the starter home corridor up US401. Well the 1980's starter homes have aged and are now run down and are synonymous with crime. Gwinnett County outside Atlanta has experienced the same thing. Thousands of starter neighborhoods off Pleasant Hill Rd. are now blighted with crumbing exteriors, sheets covering windows in just over 20 years' time.

The Triangle is in good shape as far as the roads go, rail transit may or may not be part of the future.

The loose sprawl around Raleigh that was concerning in the past isn't as bad now, The area is surprisingly densifying rapidly, and people are OK with very small yards and townhomes are popular too.

Billboards still aren't allowed on freeways thank God so I have confidence that the area will remain true to itself.

The only thing though has been the roadside trash in all of Wake. It'a literally almost continuous visible trash on the Beltline and up US1/ US401.this year. Probably the worst city in the country this year for litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary