Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 03:46 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Ok, but it's pretty defeatist to just up and pack your bags to go somewhere where traffic is already 100x worse than here, under the mere speculation that things will reach the point of failure here.
Yes, but the MTA will run the trains and buses for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Or New York. Where he lived for so many years.
I get the feeling he would not be happy anywhere. Just a hunch...

Old 06-09-2018, 07:10 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Real question is what percentage of people about to take these jobs are actually going to be transplants? Do you guys think most of their employee base will come from students in our universities and employees from companies already in rtp? Or will it be 1000 north carolinians, 7500 indians then a bunch of californians?

Im hoping they find their talent here otherwise we just spent incentive money on bringing outsiders instead of opportunities mainly to our state residents. Obviously i know there are benefits to out of staters coming in ( tax base, real estate, more businesses, etc.). End of the day though i would rather our tax money went to north carolinians. not creating more escape opportunities for californians and northerners.

Last edited by muslim12; 06-09-2018 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 07:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Real question is what percentage of people about to take these jobs are actually going to be transplants? Do you guys think most of their employee base will come from students in our universities and employees from companies already in rtp? Or will it be 1000 north carolinians, 7500 indians then a bunch of californians?

Im hoping they find their talent here otherwise we just spent incentive money on bringing outsiders instead of opportunities mainly to our state residents. Obviously i know there are benefits to out of staters coming in ( tax base, real estate, more businesses, etc.). End of the day though i would rather are tax money went to north carolinians not creating more escape opportunities for californians and northerners.
Judging by the projected salaries in the news reports, the majority will be mid to senior level positions.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:31 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:

Im hoping they find their talent here otherwise we just spent incentive money on bringing outsiders instead of opportunities mainly to our state residents. Obviously i know there are benefits to out of staters coming in ( tax base, real estate, more businesses, etc.). End of the day though i would rather our tax money went to north carolinians. not creating more escape opportunities for californians and northerners.
No we will be their waiters and hair stylists trickle down baby

Old 06-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
No we will be their waiters and hair stylists trickle down baby
No, we will be the ones building the homes, landscaping, and fixing their ac units. Basically alongside many hispanic immgrant counterparts. To be fair many of these people dont have the education to take those jobs.

I feel like our state was sold down the river to outsiders to the benefit of relatively few. Think about it, north carolina is still a relatively poor state in terms of residents in poverty... its certainly not because of poor northerners moving here... more like generational poverty among north carolinians. If it was 1950 again and I was in the state legislature I would have fought hard for cultivating local businesses, education, while still attempting to attract companies from elsewhere. It feels like our native nc population was replaced by a "better" , more educated, wealthier, transplant class. Just 2 cents from a "nc native" if i can call myself so, who is also the product of 2 immigrants....

Old 06-09-2018, 07:43 PM

What affect will this have on future population growth in light of slowing state growth? Will it buck the trend and restart a boom similiar to the 90s and 00s ? Or will it just merge in seamlessly?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
No, we will be the ones building the homes, landscaping, and fixing their ac units. Basically alongside many hispanic immgrant counterparts. To be fair many of these people dont have the education to take those jobs.

I feel like our state was sold down the river to outsiders to the benefit of relatively few. Think about it, north carolina is still a relatively poor state in terms of residents in poverty... its certainly not because of poor northerners moving here... more like generational poverty among north carolinians. If it was 1950 again and I was in the state legislature I would have fought hard for cultivating local businesses, education, while still attempting to attract companies from elsewhere. It feels like our native nc population was replaced by a "better" , more educated, wealthier, transplant class. Just 2 cents from a "nc native" if i can call myself so, who is also the product of 2 immigrants....
This has occurred all over the country, and will continue to occur - it just happens to be the Triangle's time. Many of the people relocating here are leaving their home states for the exact reasons you're concerned about. Who are you to tell them they can't relocate?

Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This has occurred all over the country, and will continue to occur - it just happens to be the Triangle's time. Many of the people relocating here are leaving their home states for the exact reasons you're concerned about. Who are you to tell them they can't relocate?
Who are you to say that i said they cant relocate? Im only saying north carolina natives seem to be an afterthought. Would be interesting to compare poverty rates between both groups.

This is what living in a capitalist country is like ( and yes it is my preference to live in a capitalist country).

Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Who are you to say that i said they cant relocate? Im only saying north carolina natives seem to be an afterthought. Would be interesting to compare poverty rates between both groups.

This is what living in a capitalist country is like ( and yes it is my preference to live in a capitalist country).
What do you mean by an afterthought? Do you think that natives deserve some sort of compensation for dealing with transplants?

I would say native land owners are doing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary