Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 08:12 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What do you mean by an afterthought? Do you think that natives deserve some sort of compensation for dealing with transplants?

I would say native land owners are doing pretty well.
No thats not what i mean, im sorry you took it that way. My point is most of these jobs are taken by transplants because many nc natives arent necessarily qualified for these jobs. That sort of leaves them behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No thats not what i mean, im sorry you took it that way. My point is most of these jobs are taken by transplants because many nc natives arent necessarily qualified for these jobs. That sort of leaves them behind.
I guess I don't understand how creating new jobs that these natives were never qualified for, leaves them behind.

Bringing in additional population also increases demand for unskilled labor.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
I guess I don't understand how creating new jobs that these natives were never qualified for, leaves them behind.

That is true, which is what hey_guy and I were getting at.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:48 PM

202 posts, read 173,978 times
You can kiss that Apple (and Amazon) campus goodbye now that the anti-business GOP in NC are trying to pass another ridiculous voter ID law.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:

I think the rationale is that the newly skilled folk with good jobs will drive up home prices driving some people out?

Meanwhile, I’d love to be a homeowner in that sort of environment

Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
You can kiss that Apple (and Amazon) campus goodbye now that the anti-business GOP in NC are trying to pass another ridiculous voter ID law.
I’m personally against voter id, but this comment doesn’t seem to take into account that hasn’t hurt the prospects of other states such as Virginia or Texas with similar requirements. And to be clear, the only thing they’re trying to “pass” is putting it on the ballot for a vote.

10k Apple plus 50k Amazon hq2 employees is the best incremental way to make a difference if you want to tip the scales, instead of hiding in a state where you already have your majority. Apple’s CEO and COO both know this area well and the reason their company is great is because they dared to disrupt instead of accepting the status quo as given. Moving here doesn’t endorse or empower bigoted policies, it chips away at them.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:58 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I’m personally against voter id, but this comment doesn’t seem to take into account that hasn’t hurt the prospects of other states such as Virginia or Texas with similar requirements. And to be clear, the only thing they’re trying to “pass” is putting it on the ballot for a vote.

10k Apple plus 50k Amazon hq2 employees is the best incremental way to make a difference if you want to tip the scales, instead of hiding in a state where you already have your majority. Apple’s CEO and COO both know this area well and the reason their company is great is because they dared to disrupt instead of accepting the status quo as given. Moving here doesn’t endorse or empower bigoted policies, it chips away at them.

What they are trying to do is get an "issue" that will push GOP'ers to vote in what appears to be a tough cycle for Republicans. Expect our airwaves to be flooded with crazy ads about bus loads of Mexicans and felons being shipped in to vote for Democrats. Can't wait.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:20 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:

I think the argument would be that it materially diminishes their QOL, and raises their taxes and rent while they don’t get to partake in the benefits. If it were an urban neighborhood you’d call it gentrification. I don’t know what you call it when you’re referring to someone that lives in a ranch home in Apex.

In any case, I think that NC has and produces good numbers of people qualified for these jobs, and they’ll be fairly represented in most of the companies should they chose to relocate here.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 PM

360 posts, read 400,135 times
I thought Apple announcement was due anytime in June.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:18 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Default Do We Really Want These Tech Companies.

Look at this expose of Amazon and others bullying down the city's attempt to tax these firms to get money for affordable housing.

Are these firms trying to expand here to be sure their attempts to "gentrify" our areas are not impeded by governments that care?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/14/se...-approving-it/

They definitely do not need to come here with or without bribes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary