Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 04:26 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Disgusting companies that are rolling in money demanding incentives.

We do not need them.
We? Speak for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
We do not need them.
We? Don't loop everyone else in with your lines of crazy.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Quote:
Disgusting companies that are rolling in money demanding incentives.

We do not need them.
You realize that anytime you purchase stock of a publicly traded company you’re providing incentives to a company just the same? Exact same thing - putting money in hoping for a return on investment. I guess successful companies should take themselves off the stock exchange?

Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 AM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Dude you're stuck in 1912, just stop.
No he/she's not. He/she and I just hold the viewpoint that not all of this change and so-called "progress" is good or beneficial. The "growth at all costs" idea comes with some serious problems and side-effects that we can't be naive of.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
When you moved here, IBM and Nortel employed 14,000 people EACH. Once again, you do not know what you’re talking about here. So some research about why the North Hills area exists and when it was built.

Did either of them really have that many? Memories fade, but I don't recall NT ever getting much above 10k, if they ever did hit that number.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Great to see that others have not fallen for the "growth is great" mantra.

Who is left behind by the invasion of evil bully companies? The middle class, minorities, etc.

Do we want to turn into a greed driven area like NYC where citizens and small local businesses are thrown away?

North Hills, for example, needed a refurbishment, not to become a place for the rich to buy in boutiques.

This city will become a POS like NYC with lots of crime and poverty for those not in the right jobs.

Is this what we want to be?

Look at the rats from Texas that just bought senior building downtown and is forcing the tenants out? Is this Raleigh or is this money mongers with unfettered opportunity to do wrong?
To be clear, I'm not touting any "growth is great" mantra, just a "growth is great for me" sort of vibe.

But growth is gonna happen whether or not we want it to, trying to preserve a certain lifestyle is futile and instead of focusing on the negatives, it's healthier to zero in on the positives.

Let them all come, Amazon, Apple, Wall Street.... we can continue expanding outward, make Chatham Park the new Cary and fill in all that lush forest between here and Greensboro with 3,000 square foot homes on 1/4 acre lots. By the time that is revealed for probably being a bad idea we'll all be cashed out and either dead or relocated.

I said it earlier and will repeat myself: I love living where all the cool kids want to come and play.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
No he/she's not. He/she and I just hold the viewpoint that not all of this change and so-called "progress" is good or beneficial. The "growth at all costs" idea comes with some serious problems and side-effects that we can't be naive of.

You should begin your education by reading (or re-reading) the post above about why we give a corporation tax breaks, and how in theory it yields higher taxes. Based on what you've written thus far, it appears you believe "tax breaks" means we simply pay them to move here for the glory and honor of their presence. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited by RedZin; 06-15-2018 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Please keep it polite

Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

You should begin your education by reading (or re-reading) the post above about why we give a corporation tax breaks, and how in theory it yields higher taxes. Based on what you've written thus far, it appears you believe "tax breaks" means we simply pay them to move here for the glory and honor of their presence. Nothing could be further from the truth.
In theory, yes. But if you seriously believe that tax breaks in reality primarily benefit anyone but the shareholders and CEOs of these companies, then I question your intelligence as well. But don't take it from me https://www.economist.com/finance-an...-workers-wages

Last edited by RedZin; 06-15-2018 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Removed quoted material.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
In theory, yes. But if you seriously believe that tax breaks in reality primarily benefit anyone but the shareholders and CEOs of these companies, then I question your intelligence as well. But don't take it from me https://www.economist.com/finance-an...-workers-wages
Given the linked article you've provided, I think you're arguing a different point than what Bo is (and to the linked article provided by patryuji above.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Notice how Qualcomm Raleigh just laid off half its chip design operations with rumors that they'll cut the rest by year's end? That's 800 jobs in semiconductor tech. and a significant blow to this area in the computing space. A lot of these folks will have nowhere to go by staying here (there aren't a lot of players with significant operations in the chip space around here anymore) and will likely have to move to Silicon Valley or Austin.

This underscores the need to refresh the area with new companies instead of resting on our laurels. It'll take something like Apple opening an engineering design center here just to catch RTP up to where it was in the 1980s, much less transform it into something it wasn't before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary