Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 12:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
Great news for homebuyers this Spring, had that campus been announced for Raleigh it would’ve been a challenge to buy.

With the loss of Amazon and Apple, the Raleigh area home prices will plummet.
Someone's looking to buy a house this spring!

Housing prices aren't going to "plummet".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 12:18 PM

3,293 posts, read 8,531,320 times
Quote:
Great news for homebuyers this Spring, had that campus been announced for Raleigh it would’ve been a challenge to buy.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM

121 posts, read 106,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido77 View Post
Apple could have been playing the same game as Amazon in terms of what could they get out of it for themselves...focus on the local companies and start up's coming out of the Universities.

Do we really want this place to become Austin or NOVA???
NO! At least I don't. I went to college at UT Austin back in the 90's and it was much more like Chapel Hill is now. Now when I go back to see relatives it is one giant headache. The roads can't handle the amount of people on them and the sprawl and suburbia is no different than Raleigh. Yes, just as many soccer moms driving mini-vans drinking their Starbucks. I am still friends with some of them.

We have had the opportunity to move back many times and always said no thanks. Anyone that thinks summers here are bad try spending one in Austin.

- it was a fun place to go to college though, and I even named my first son Austin after the city where I met my husband.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM

806 posts, read 600,079 times
Quote:

As much as wish to agree with you, seriously doubt it. The Fed might only raise rates one more time. Things will probably just flatten out for a while here. Paying rent vs. owning probably still won't pencil out.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,803,701 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting that the current market had either of those companies coming to the Triangle already priced in?

That would be an enormous stretch and a foolish statement to say the least.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,319,314 times
Quote:
Doubtful. Not to mention you can't lose something you never had.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:53 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,352,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Texas is a tale of two states. About half of the 28M population lives in the blue city centers of Dallas, Houston, Austin (and San Antonio). The remaining population lives in rural areas that typically vote Republican and give the state the overall red color. Austin for sure is more progressive than any North Carolina city regardless of NC being a predominantly blue state.

Austin also makes sense given Apple already has roots there.

The fact Apple has roots already is the best explanation. But I have to say, I think Triangle not closing the deals on some of these “sexier” tech is simply due to it not being as desirable as a tech hub. Apple also announced it was expanding in several other hip/trendy areas

RTP was a leader 25 years ago. But times have changed. Austin among others all have a Silicon Valley vibe. Read articles on tech relocations like the Army. It’s all about Austin having a Silicon Valley culture. It’s all about people wearing flip flops at work, how weird Austin is, how hip it is, etc. Raleigh is still a relatively conservative place. It’s a place to raise a family. It’s lower cost.

Yes, Raleigh keeps scoring jobs like Advanced, but thats not a tech company. I think Raleigh will slide further behind all the other tech hubs if it doesn’t shed its “great place to raise a family, low cost area” image in favor of Silicon Valley culture. The Triangle is losing it because it’s not cool enough like Austin and the cities Apple is also expanding in. Which is a simplistic way to say the innovative companies are starting to establish tech hubs, talent is growing in these areas and Triangle is happy to sit back and say “IBM, Redhat, SAS, Cisco” .... that’s not a winning strategy to be a leading innovative tech hub or to grow decades of hard work.

That’s my outsiders perception. I know it’ll offend some, but ask anyone outside how liberal, artsy, edgy, trendy, techy, etc Raleigh is compared to a now huge list of tech hubs in the US. Quite frankly, I don’t think there is political appetite in Raleigh or Cary to try to become a Silicon Valley type place.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The fact Apple has roots already is the best explanation. But I have to say, I think Triangle not closing the deals on some of these “sexier” tech is simply due to it not being as desirable as a tech hub. Apple also announced it was expanding in several other hip/trendy areas

RTP was a leader 25 years ago. But times have changed. Austin among others all have a Silicon Valley vibe. Read articles on tech relocations like the Army. It’s all about Austin having a Silicon Valley culture. It’s all about people wearing flip flops at work, how weird Austin is, how hip it is, etc. Raleigh is still a relatively conservative place. It’s a place to raise a family. It’s lower cost.

Yes, Raleigh keeps scoring jobs like Advanced, but thats not a tech company. I think Raleigh will slide further behind all the other tech hubs if it doesn’t shed its “great place to raise a family, low cost area” image in favor of Silicon Valley culture. The Triangle is losing it because it’s not cool enough like Austin and the cities Apple is also expanding in. Which is a simplistic way to say the innovative companies are starting to establish tech hubs, talent is growing in these areas and Triangle is happy to sit back and say “IBM, Redhat, SAS, Cisco” .... that’s not a winning strategy to be a leading innovative tech hub or to grow decades of hard work.

That’s my outsiders perception. I know it’ll offend some, but ask anyone outside how liberal, artsy, edgy, trendy, techy, etc Raleigh is compared to a now huge list of tech hubs in the US. Quite frankly, I don’t think there is political appetite in Raleigh or Cary to try to become a Silicon Valley type place.
Speaking for myself, I don't want Raleigh to be like Austin. If I did I would live in Austin. Lived in a super liberal area prior...all set with that.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,958,247 times
Were we chasing waterfalls when we should of stuck to the rivers and the lakes that we're used too

Old 12-13-2018, 05:12 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,698,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Were we chasing waterfalls when we should of stuck to the rivers and the lakes that we're used too
Now that's a lyric I haven't heard in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary