U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:15 PM

8,454 posts, read 12,246,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Fun fact, despite Austin's explosive growth in the past few years, the airport has just 25 gates. (Terminal 2 alone at RDU has 36 gates)
And RDU just got done with their long range plan to expand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 PM

5,600 posts, read 3,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
And RDU just got done with their long range plan to expand.
I think Austin does have a long range plan to double the size of the airport but it's just funny that our area has a bigger airport.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 PM

555 posts, read 367,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
On the long odds of Amazon picking Raleigh, I would expect airport traffic to go to up 10x.
And in that case, the odds against landing a home that fit your criteria would probably also increase nearly that much.

OP, we bought our first home ages ago now, but even then we had to compromise on something. We compromised on commute times. It allowed us to get in the door as homeowners and our home, based on its location, appreciated nicely with the Triangle's growth. (We also bought a less than 2000 sq ft home.) By the time a couple of kids came, we needed a little more space and a lot less daily time on the road, so some changes needed to be made (solved in our case by moving out of the area), but the bottom line is that sometimes you can't get it all in the first shot. Home ownership is full of compromises and imperfect solutions, which you'll discover eventually. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,056,536 times
We bought our house in 2010 when it was still a buyers market post-recession but still good homes below 300k were selling very fast. We ended up going farther than original search area and increasing budget to 350k. But even at that time it was very frustrating. The house we bought just came on the market right when we were giving up and thought to pause for the holidays. You never know. Expand your search a bit and stay on top if new listings. Something will come up.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 PM

23 posts, read 16,280 times
A couple of things...

-Spring will have more inventory of houses so right now there is just less to choose from

-I think we are in a bubble. Not as big as a few years ago but a bubble nonetheless

-No matter where you are looking. No one ever finds a house matching all of their criteria unless they are building it and/or has boatloads of money with no timeline issues. Learn what you can live with.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 AM

645 posts, read 722,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I flew out of Austin once after visiting an ex GF who lived in Waco. I was very surprised at how small the Austin airport was. Also there was a $10 toll to get on the road into the airport. So much for Texas being cheap and low-tax.
Dallas Airport also has this toll although I don't recall it being this high. Texas has got to get revenue to run their state in some manner!

Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 AM

12,386 posts, read 29,771,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindygrins View Post
My fiance and I are trying to buy our first home. We knew it would be hard, but this process has been incredibly disheartening and frustrating.

Our parameters:
- good commuting distance to big Duke, Southpoint, the airport, and Duke Raleigh (all work locations) - i.e. Apex, Cary, Morrisville, South Durham, Brier Creek, Leesville, North Raleigh as far east as Creedmor
- <$300k
- 3 bed, 2 bath
- 2 car garage (seriously why is this so hard to find), or 1 car garage with space to park a second car
- gas heat
- ideally not right in a flight path with a lot of airplane noise (currently live in west Cary and the airplane noise level is acceptable)
- good schools for at least elementary school

We do not care if the house is updated. That would be nice, but totally not necessary.
All we want is a house that fits the bill listed above, and is void of any plumbing, electrical, or foundation problems (or the problems that exist are minor/fixable without significant expense).

This seems like it would be easy, right? So wrong.

We put an offer in on a house that seemed too good to be true, but pulled out after the inspection revealed significant foundation issues, plus AC and other problems. Plus not great schools. Plus more airplane noise than we had realized. We now realize this was not a great first move.

Put another offer in on a house that met all our criteria, and got outbid. Womp.

Have continued to look at houses, and find ones we like, but can't seem to find a house that fits our parameters.

For example, really liked a house today. In the price range. Good location. Decent enough schools. All the spaces we need and then some. But it was chock full of polybutylene piping. I know some people say it's okay. In my mind, the risk is too great to let it exist, so then we have to re-pipe the house. Plus it needs a new roof and garage door in the near future. Maybe the masonite siding needs to be dealt with.

I feel like every single house we look at has some kind of fundamental (plumbing, foundation, electric) problem. They're pretty, but problematic.

Can't I find a home that is not as problematic (I can deal with lots of little things. I'll tear down or build a wall if needed. I'll update kitchens and baths and flooring.), and either is updated (which would be a bonus), is average, or is ugly? I will take an ugly house over a fundamentally flawed one.

In this market, it's impossible to ask for money to repair these kinds of things. Houses are going for above asking anyway.

We have even started looking into townhouses, but I feel like if I buy a townhouse (like I am renting now), and compromising on the no yard not a single family home etc thing, then that townhouse better be darn near perfect, and updated to boot. But even those are expensive, and probably have some fundamental issues too!

I realize that people buy houses here every single day with fundamental flaws, as evidenced by the hot market. We know too much about the "what ifs," which might be part of the problem. But I want to not shoot myself in the foot by buying a pretty house that needs $10-20k of work right off the bat to make it stable or reduce the risk of leaks/fires. Am I being unreasonable?
Here is my opinion (as if you haven't already gotten enough)...

North Raleigh is very expensive so ANYTHING around $300,000 is going to be either an older home (built in the '80s and '90s with Masonite and poly pipes). The best neighborhoods in this price range are around Leesville Road, examples are Harrington Grove, Woodlawn, Dominion Park. ALL of these are in the flight plan BUT it hasn't affected their appreciation since the location is great for so many reasons and the schools are wonderful, as well.

I have a buyer in your price range but they wanted to live in Wake Forest. He works at RTP. This past weekend, we found 6 homes to look at...all built after 2002, all had garages. One showing was cancelled, as it had multiple offers (it had been on market 4 days). One had multiple showings while we were there (it had been on market 6 days). Of the ones they liked, there was a brand new one that had been marked down because it had been on market for a few weeks. The only reason WE could figure out that it hadn't sold was due to the fact that it had dark cabinets (everyone wants white) and it was the smallest home in the n'hood (always good for resale). We asked the builder to install 6 recessed lights and he agreed. We are under contract for THAT home.

If you are looking at homes built in the '70s and '80s, you will find that many do not have garages. All the homes we lived in before the one we are currently in, did not have garages. Things go in cycles. In the '50s and '60s, our builders were building split levels and brick ranches (no garages). When we got to the '70s and '80s, it was mostly colonials and ranches, still without garages as we didn't think we needed them. As the area grew, people coming from other areas realized we didn't have basements so they wanted garages to put their stuff into! We didn't have granite in those days because it wasn't the "thing" to have. We didn't have gas ranges or open floorplans...just wasn't "in"! You didn't find smaller homes with granite, hardwoods and stainless steel appliances until HGTV told us we HAD to have those things!

Another area you may want to consider is the area around Bedford, Falls River (near Falls of Neuse Rd). There are homes in that area without plane noise. Most have garages as they are newer and the zip 27614 is considered to be one of the best.

Inventory is still very low. Have you Realtor put you on instant notifications. Include those "coming soon". That way, you can do a drive by, see if you like the neighborhood, location, etc. and be ready to view as soon as it hits the market.

Like other posters have said, you will have to decide what is most important to you. Sounds to me like you may have to expand your locations.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 AM

13,724 posts, read 24,036,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Dallas Airport also has this toll although I don't recall it being this high. Texas has got to get revenue to run their state in some manner!
I think it's $2 if you enter/exit in a certain time. It's because the highway was built and people were using it to bypass another road.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 AM

13,724 posts, read 24,036,399 times
If I were moving to Raleigh today I would live in Falls River personally. We really like it there. Vicki's suggestions are good.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:05 AM

8,454 posts, read 12,246,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Here is my opinion (as if you haven't already gotten enough)...

I have a buyer in your price range but they wanted to live in Wake Forest. He works at RTP. This past weekend, we found 6 homes to look at...all built after 2002, all had garages.

What sort of crazy person wants to live in Wake Forest if they work in RTP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary