Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Probably the best feature of my 2015 Buick LaCrosse is that it will read text messages to you. And you can keep your hands on the steering wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 03:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I learned when I was jogging in North Raleigh to ALWAYS make sure to make eye contact with the drivers of cars to ensure they saw me.
THISS!!
Pedestrians may usually have the right of way (though popping out from behind an SUV into moving traffic without looking is debatable), but **the cars might not always see you**. I am constantly appalled at the people who cross a busy street, not in a crosswalk, and don't even look in the direction of traffic. Right-of-Way or not, if you're dead, I don't think you'll really care if you were "correct". When I just to take Western Blvd to work, every day I had distracted college kids charge out right in front of traffic that had a green light, not only not looking in our direction, but *on their phones* and/or wearing headphones.

It seems like modern parents, instead of teaching kids to look out for cars, tell them "you have the right of way, cars have to stop" (I literally heard a kid tell his little brother that as they traipsed through a busy parking lot where visibility was poor). I still go with the "better safe than 'right'" and often will let a car go on past even if I have the right of way, so there is 0% chance they will hit me if they don't see me.

Especially with people looking at their phones and such, I always go by safety rather than right-of way. even in a crosswalk, my eyes are riveted in the direction of oncoming traffic, so if some bozo who's texting doesn't see me, I can jump out of HIS way. Yet I see so many who just charge right into a crosswalk, or worse, where there isn't even a crosswalk, presuming they will have some protective shield around them called "Right of Way" that will keep them from getting run over by a distracted driver (or a driver who doesn't see them, since sometimes people will cross where a curve or other obstacle prevents drivers from even seeing them).

LOOK BEFORE YOU CROSS.
LOOK AS YOU CROSS.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:25 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
LOOK AS YOU CROSS.

I won't quote all of Francois' quote nor the one he responded to but this goes back to something pierretong#### and I had a dialog about here some time back regarding a certain crossing on Six Forks and how if one were not to do this there, well I don't want to be a doomsayer but that intersection and many other are recipes for disaster.

Anything less is cheating Darwin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary