Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 19,901 times

Advertisements

I am at a moderately busy intersection while walking my dog. I press the crosswalk button, wait for the "safe to cross" signal then walk across the road. As I'm approaching the other side, crossing the last lane of a four lane road, the small SUV (that was stopped a good 15 or 20 feet from the crosswalk) starts to slowly roll forward. I think nothing of it since they were so far away to start with, and I'm just entering their lane which is the last lane to cross before I reach the sidewalk so they might be getting ready for their next move.

Except, they start to speed up.

I have to yank away my poor dog and scream at them ("What are you doing!?") to even get them to stop! The driver, a middle aged woman, LOOKS UP at me from her glowing phone (of course) and just stares blankly then she just keeps on moving without even a look of regret. My dog and I were inches from her SUV. We actually had to walk behind the SUV to safely reach the sidewalk because she was fully in the crosswalk now.

This was the worst incident yet, but PLEASE STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS! It does not take nearly as long as it feels to you to just wait those few seconds for someone to safely cross and reach a safe point (i.e. median, sidewalk, etc.).

Especially, those drivers turning left. Practice patience and don't roll towards me and my dog (who might lunge an odd direction unexpectedly). Even though the tonight's incident did not involve a left-turning car.

I don't want to be hostile but I am tempted to stop walking when a left-turning car starts rolling towards me and hand signal for them to stop. I don't want to be dramatic or vindictive but I do want to communicate that they are making me feel unsafe when I am just a person walking and they are driving a powerful steel cage that can literally destroy me due to their impatience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 740,244 times
If all you do is remember the last 23 words you wrote, you should live a long life.

Just because you may have the right of way, doesn't mean you will remain alive trying to prove it.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Just curious, what part of Cary was this in? The part of Cary I'm in usually determines how aware I am of potential pedestrians.

It's a two way street (no pun intended) - when you have simultaneous green lights and walk signals, both sides really need to be aware. It's much easier for you to see a large car coming than it is for a large car, potentially behind even larger cars, to see you coming.

I realize pedestrians always have the right of way, but I often see pedestrians just walk out like they own the joint and don't give crap if they get hit. Some even popping out from between cars and things like that. Not saying this is you, but I see it all the time. As a pedestrian you need to really be aware of your surroundings.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I learned when I was jogging in North Raleigh to ALWAYS make sure to make eye contact with the drivers of cars to ensure they saw me. One time I couldn't see the driver due to the angle of the sun. She had stopped at the entrance/exit from her apartment complex and there was a van coming down the road. I made the mistake of assuming she was going to wait for the van because she had been sitting there for 10+ seconds already. Just as I was passing in front of her (no sidewalks there, I had to run in the road, but always stayed right at the edge), she pulled out and missed me and my dog by literal inches. That's when I noticed she had been texting and that's why she had been sitting there. After almost hitting me (and still not stopping) she pulled right out in front of the van that had the right of way. I never made that mistake again. I preferred to stop if I could see they were texting or not looking in my direction.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I learned when I was jogging in North Raleigh to ALWAYS make sure to make eye contact with the drivers of cars to ensure they saw me.
This is what I do as well, especially when I'm on a bike. You'll have no idea how many people don't see me when making a right or left turn from a side street if I'm on my bike. If I can't make eye contact with them, I'm just gonna go ahead and let them go.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM

555 posts, read 501,333 times
With the increased number of people I saw blatantly running red lights in my last 1-2 years of living in the Triangle, I'd be very cautious as a pedestrian, to the point of probably avoiding crossing roads altogether when possible (sticking to walking trails etc.). I don't know if it's the congestion, the increase in texting, the general lack of walkability in the area (so drivers are not used to the concept), or most likely all of the above, but I'd now consider it a straight-up dangerous activity. (And I used to run in neighborhoods and cross main intersections all of the time when living in Raleigh proper, 10+ years ago.)

Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Crossing Dry Ave in downtown Cary has been and still the most risky one I have experienced, especially at dusk or commute hours.

(Right in front of the Arts Center.)

For event nights at the Park or Arts Center, it would be safer with this type of gate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5FhFRqTCQ

Motorists are just plain not used to foot traffic in this area, I feel.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Any chance there will be a texting and/or holding a cell phone while driving ban in
N.C.?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 PM

80 posts, read 79,673 times
Anyone ever drive in Boston?

The Triangle now has a mix of drivers from all over the place. Generally speaking, the natives drive slower and will yield, while the northeasterners are in more of a hurry and less patient. I said generally speaking and since I've lived in both places, I can say that from personal experience.

It's a dangerous mix if you ask me and real sorry to hear you got a scare like that. I'm with BlessedLife in that I'd stick with walking trails whenever possible and I personally never bike along a road. And texting while driving or walking is a sure recipe for trouble.

One piece of good advice from a first responder friend: Whenever you are sitting at a redlight and it changes, don't move forward until you've looked both ways and see that no one is coming. Most T-bones happen right after the light changes.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
This is why in areas with heavy foot traffic, roads should be designed around making bike/ped movements easy vs. moving as many cars as possible (like downtown areas for example). Not every road needs to be an arterial or highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary