Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM

138 posts, read 119,548 times

Advertisements

We are in the market for a house with a budget of 400K and preferably in West Cary/Apex area with a reasonable work commute to Chapel Hill (30 minutes). Requirements are 4 bed/2.5 bath/2500 sq ft. Lot size does not matter so long as houses are not very close to each other. Chapel Hill does not appear to be an option with that budget and expecting slightly newer build (10 years old). Hillsborough is an option but prefer Cary so we are closer to RTP and other job centers in case we need to change jobs.

I see several new constructions going on in around Cary/Apex areas . Some of the examples are Greenmoor/Sears Farm by Pulte, Cal atlantic at Amberly, Taylor Morrison at White Oaks etc. Base prices start under 400k. Most resales in that area are priced at near 400k range, and makes us wonder if we should go with new construction. We will certainly work with a realtor at some point but currently exploring options. Would you recommend any new construction? Is resale still a better option and why? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
We are in the market for a house with a budget of 400K and preferably in West Cary/Apex area with a reasonable work commute to Chapel Hill (30 minutes). Requirements are 4 bed/2.5 bath/2500 sq ft. Lot size does not matter so long as houses are not very close to each other. Chapel Hill does not appear to be an option with that budget and expecting slightly newer build (10 years old). Hillsborough is an option but prefer Cary so we are closer to RTP and other job centers in case we need to change jobs.

I see several new constructions going on in around Cary/Apex areas . Some of the examples are Greenmoor/Sears Farm by Pulte, Cal atlantic at Amberly, Taylor Morrison at White Oaks etc. Base prices start under 400k. Most resales in that area are priced at near 400k range, and makes us wonder if we should go with new construction. We will certainly work with a realtor at some point but currently exploring options. Would you recommend any new construction? Is resale still a better option and why? Thanks for your help.
It's not a better option. You'll pay more for a house with similar square footage, number of baths/beds, etc.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:50 PM

80 posts, read 79,673 times
I once read that buying a home around 3 years of age is good because by then all the kinks have been worked out and paid for. I'm not sure that's always the case, but checking the quality of everything included in the new home is important. That may sound obvious, but not everyone thinks to check the quality of the windows for example. Also, the paint that most builders use to paint new homes is not quality, washable paint. It scuffs fast and you have to have your rooms repainted not long after.

As for older homes to me a lot depends on the integrity of the owner and whether he has taken pride in his home concerning upkeep. I've lived in homes that were 25 years old but owned by someone fastidious about upkeep and they've been the nicest ever. Unfortunately, finds like these are not easy to discover.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It's not a better option. You'll pay more for a house with similar square footage, number of baths/beds, etc.
That's the part i dont understand as it seems the new construction offer similar square footage/bath/beds but only a slight increase in terms of price compare to resale. Either the resales are priced too high or the new construction is lacking in quality or maybe the base price is misleading.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Taylor Morrison has not closed yet on a house in The Preserve at White Oak Creek at $400,000.
Well, one at $403,000, but the next closest are a couple at $421,000.

Amberly Glen is more likely to meet your budget, with Classics starting at $365,000, if you like one of the plans.
Of course, you need to allow for some upgrades and a lot premium, but you should be able to make your budget work.
And, the commute to Chapel Hill will be better than from The Preserve at White Oak Creek.

Greenmoor is interesting, in that Pulte is using several of their Del Webb floor plans to offer ranch houses. I just had a closing on an Abbeyville in Carolina Arbors. Nice plan, but small for your wishes, at 1625SF starting at $349,900. Plus lot premium.

I would be leaning toward Amberly Glen, but really, it seems like all three of these neighborhoods would have houses very close together.
When you get to less than 1/6 acre, you will be tight. Maybe a corner lot would help, but you can expect a higher lot premium for that, too.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:56 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
That's the part i dont understand as it seems the new construction offer similar square footage/bath/beds but only a slight increase in terms of price compare to resale. Either the resales are priced too high or the new construction is lacking in quality or maybe the base price is misleading.
I don't know about "misleading," but they DO build a home that you will nearly always want to option up at additional cost.
And, the base price is for the house. You will get hit with a lot premium. The nicer the lot, the higher the premium.
They always have one or two really crummy lots without any premium, so they can support the base price ad.

As far as resales homes go, you buy them on their individual merits. Stay open-minded and you may stumble into a good one.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-26-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Rule #1 with new construction: Add a minimum of 20% to the base price to cover the upgrades you are absolutely going to want.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't know about "misleading," but they DO build a home that you will nearly always want to option up at additional cost.
And, the base price is for the house. You will get hit with a lot premium. The nicer the lot, the higher the premium.
They always have one or two really crummy lots without any premium, so they can support the base price ad.

As far as resales homes go, you buy them on their individual merits. Stay open-minded and you may stumble into a good one.
Thanks Mike, appreciate your inputs.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Chapel Hill does not appear to be an option with that budget and expecting slightly newer build (10 years old).
That budget is doable in Chapel Hill. Have you looked at Winmore or Claremont? Both are new neighborhoods with some homes in your budget.

I think that commute from Cary would get old really quickly for me. It's not a pleasant drive. It also will cost a lot more in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle so add that into your budget.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Given the option of a high-quality resale vs. a new home of lesser quality, at the same cost, I would always choose the higher-quality home. I can't imagine spending $400K for a Pulte home - has the market really come to that point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary