Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 01:18 PM

18,113 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

Curious if anyone's used Max Mech recently, as in the last 6 months? Are they still in business? Haven't been able to get them on the phone the last couple of days. Just sent them an email, hoping that would get to them, in case my voicemail message didn't.

I've seen some bad reviews from the last few years and a comment from someone to check if they still have their license. Some comments were they went downhill and their service and response is sub-par.

Had another place come out yesterday because my downstairs unit wasn't cooling. The tech found the problem -- the evaporator coil is rusted and failed, needs replaced. The part is still under warranty, the labor is not, unless there's something I can work out with the original vendor to cover the labor for the unit (Maximum Mech).

===> Just got the quote from this other company for replacing the evap coil. The price seems outrageous to me: $1,937 for labor, $540 for 6 lbs of refrigerant, and the guy put in 3 lbs of refrigerant yesterday, which I paid for. Coil is covered by warranty.

Yes, of course I will get more quotes, but I wanted to get the opinion from C-D folks as well. What say you? Does it seem outrageous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 05:10 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
For $2K I'd just spend a little more and get a whole new system replacement, especially if your current system uses R22 refrigerant. We're in the busy summer season for HVAC companies now so customer demand and prices will be higher.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
For $2K I'd just spend a little more and get a whole new system replacement, especially if your current system uses R22 refrigerant. We're in the busy summer season for HVAC companies now so customer demand and prices will be higher.
It would be thousands more to replace.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
I paid around 1800 about 10 years ago for the same type of service. Given prices go up and this place is a lot more popular than 10 years ago, I am not surprised.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:07 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Unfortunately, that price is not outrageous for an evaporator coil repair. I've actually seen higher in the last 1-2 years. I had a junk Lennox system that where even the replacement evaporator coil started to leak after 2 years and kept leaking out all the refrigerant. I replaced the entire system since I was spending so much money with replacing the evap coil. Got a system with a 10 year parts AND labor.

Now for your Max Mechanical company, keep trying but companies should be more responsive than this, even in the summer heat and busy season. There are far better HVAC companies in the area but it can be overwhelming because there's too many of them. I usually go on Nextdoor to get people's reviews.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:48 AM

70 posts, read 52,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
New system could be 6k minimum and given the explosion of growth good luck getting a fair price as well as a reasonable start date.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:13 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
last time I called them we had the same result - not sure what's going on but there's plenty of places around here that do HVAC work and have good reputations.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
last time I called them we had the same result - not sure what's going on but there's plenty of places around here that do HVAC work and have good reputations.
Thanks! There's been changes at MM, from back during the first year of covid, affecting the owner, and I know there was loss of staff in addition. I last talked to them in 2021 and the owner told me he had lost his wife and he was struggling with that, as one would. Doesn't seem like things ever got better. They used to be terrific.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I paid around 1800 about 10 years ago for the same type of service. Given prices go up and this place is a lot more popular than 10 years ago, I am not surprised.
Thanks for that info.

I guess the price is about as expected, then, considering. I've never had to replace a coil or other major part. The original HVAC system was still in-place when I purchased my house, and it lasted a total of 25 years before it failed, and that's when I replaced it all, 9 years ago.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Unfortunately, that price is not outrageous for an evaporator coil repair. I've actually seen higher in the last 1-2 years.
Thanks for the perspective. Next time I replace an HVAC system I'll make sure to get a labor warranty. The only caveat is, labor warranties are purchased from the install company, not the manufacturer, and if the vendor goes out of business, one is SOL for labor coverage if a part under warranty has to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary