Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2023, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 729 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about renting out a room in my SW Durham home. I'm looking for safe and reliable platforms to post this type of listing, but I don't know where. I have kids. We are a family. Are room rents in homes going up or down? What are things to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 02:55 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I would probably start with platforms like Nextdoor. It seems a little safer than places like Craigslist. You might also see if your company has a place where employees can post things for sale, houses for rent etc.

I think one of the biggest things to think about is if you had to evict someone. A friend of ours rented her home out and had a nightmare of a time trying to get them out when they broke the terms of the lease. Luckily she was not living in the same home with the person however in your case you and your children would be. I wouldn't feel like that is a safe environment for my child to live in.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
That's an insane plan unless you are going to do a background check including criminal on the person who'd be moving in, and even then they could have family that could show up. Sorry, I know the truth hurts, but your kids' safety must come first.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:05 PM

5,335 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Just my two cents, but having children is the dealbreaker for me. I don't care how clean the background is, if they aren't family, or vetted by a trusted family member, they aren't staying in my house around children.

If you're determined to go forward with this, perhaps post a short term Airbnb room for rent just to make sure that you can handle strangers in proximity to your family, as well as evaluate security precautions (what should be locked down, etc.).

Kind of like giving it a test run before getting into a 12 month lease you can't get out of (cheaply, anyway).

Old 06-28-2023, 03:07 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Watch People's Court 5 days in a row. You'll forget this idea damn quickly.

Old 06-28-2023, 04:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
I would post on Roomster.com if you do decide to go through with renting a room. You could post your rental or message the people that have posted here indicating they are looking for a room to rent: https://www.roomster.com/needroom/durham-nc-usa

You should carefully weigh the downsides as they'll share a kitchen with you and common space with your family.

Old 06-28-2023, 05:43 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Watch People's Court 5 days in a row. You'll forget this idea damn quickly.
People's Court should be required viewing. You learn A LOT from others' mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: