Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 04:43 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,203,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I doubt you're a typical millennial and are likely what one might refer to as a xennial, if one were a sociologist.

Jobs are a real issue for millennials. So is getting one without a degree. Very hard to do now. Wasn't so hard for xennials and was pretty easy for Gen X and Boomers by comparison.

I don't think any degree from a reputable institution is "worthless." People learn a great deal with pretty much any degree. I know so many English majors who have great jobs in IT. Communication is almost a lost art at this point.

I'm tired of the notion that everyone must become a mathematician or engineer to make a trip through college worthwhile. Funding for higher education is a real issue, since almost every job you can think of that pays a decent wage these days requires a degree.
For an IT job, I would hire an English major that physically attended and lived at college, over a Comp Sci major who got a degree online.

IMO biggest value of college isn't the academics, but the social aspect and learning how to deal with people on a social and professional level. I think I've said this a few times before so I apologize if I'm a broken record lol.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:53 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The truth is there are crazy statistics that make headlines but the reality is much different for the majority of folks.

Every generation had it hard somewhere along their path although there are always the lucky outliers that go from start to finish living a charmed life. We were never that lucky but it made us who we are today.
I'm older than you and I can tell you that I know people who are older than me had a much more affordable route through college than I did.

Tuition costs began to outpace income about the same time that federal loans were allowed to be loaned out by private banks.

That's not a coincidence.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
For an IT job, I would hire an English major that physically attended and lived at college, over a Comp Sci major who got a degree online.

IMO biggest value of college isn't the academics, but the social aspect and learning how to deal with people on a social and professional level. I think I've said this a few times before so I apologize if I'm a broken record lol.
My husband says the same thing all the time. He needs people who can do the job AND communicate with a team.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:01 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
Quote:
I'm tired of the notion that everyone must become a mathematician or engineer to make a trip through college worthwhile. Funding for higher education is a real issue, since almost every job you can think of that pays a decent wage these days requires a degree.
I definitely agree with you and I am all about making college more affordable. (Parents, look at community college for two years then your student can transfer to a UNC school and get their degree there.) But I did want to say that there are some blue-collar professions where you can still make a decent wage w/o a degree, like plumbing — if your toilet starts spewing sewage out you'll pay big bucks to make that stop!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,303,476 times
Quote:
Funding for higher education is a real issue, since almost every job you can think of that pays a decent wage these days requires a degree.
Absolutely not true. Unfortunately, many people believe that and go tens of thousands of dollars in debt getting degrees with no usefulness in the job market.

https://money.usnews.com/money/caree...college-degree
50 high-paying jobs that don't require a college degree | Jobs and Employment | nwitimes.com
https://clark.com/employment-militar...helors-degree/

A community college degree in a skilled trade is far more valuable financially than a bachelors degree in sociology or liberal studies.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,953,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I definitely agree with you and I am all about making college more affordable. (Parents, look at community college for two years then your student can transfer to a UNC school and get their degree there.) But I did want to say that there are some blue-collar professions where you can still make a decent wage w/o a degree, like plumbing — if your toilet starts spewing sewage out you'll pay big bucks to make that stop!
Every generation gets coaxed into a field and oversaturates it, driving down demand and wages in that field. Much the same way parents in the 90s shunted their kids into graduate programs in an attempt to achieve income mobility, leading to an oversaturation of postdocs... generation Z are going to be driven like lemmings into trades, and it'll oversaturate those eventually.

That cycle is always the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
D's attempt to buy votes with welfare programs or other such things. They haven't met a subsidy they didn't like. Fiscally conservative? Seriously? Neither party is.
This just doesn't stand up to the facts.

Bill Clinton repealed Glass-Steagall, passed the Commodity-Futures Modernization Act, passed NAFTA... all deregulation measures. He campaigned in 1992 promising a middle class tax cut. He had a secret deal with Newt Gingrich to privatize Social Security. He also passed the 1996 "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act" which significantly reduced federal aid to the poorest Americans, as part of his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we have come to know it".

Obamacare was devised by Richard Nixon and the Heritage Foundation in the 1970s as a conservative alternative to Universal Healthcare. As soon as Obama got elected he offered Congress a "grand bargain". The bargain was: he was going to cut Medicare and Social Security.. and even Republicans literally said no! He also made the Bush tax cuts permanent. And don't forget, it was Obama that pushed for the Trans Pacific Partnership--tried to railroad it through Congress.

Last edited by Vatnos; 01-31-2018 at 06:17 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,410,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Absolutely not true. Unfortunately, many people believe that and go tens of thousands of dollars in debt getting degrees with no usefulness in the job market.

https://money.usnews.com/money/caree...college-degree
50 high-paying jobs that don't require a college degree | Jobs and Employment | nwitimes.com
https://clark.com/employment-militar...helors-degree/

A community college degree in a skilled trade is far more valuable financially than a bachelors degree in sociology or liberal studies.
Why on earth would anyone get a degree in liberal studies?

I think kids go to school because thats what they were conditioned to do. High school doesn't do a good job helping people choose a career that fits with a personality. Kids end up going to make their parents happy and pick something ridiculous and waste a bunch of money. Kids are ashamed to take careers that involves working with their hands and you see a shortage of workers in those fields. That needs to change.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Why on earth would anyone get a degree in liberal studies?

I think kids go to school because thats what they were conditioned to do. High school doesn't do a good job helping people choose a career that fits with a personality. Kids end up going to make their parents happy and pick something ridiculous and waste a bunch of money. Kids are ashamed to take careers that involves working with their hands and you see a shortage of workers in those fields. That needs to change.
I agree completely.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Bill Clinton repealed Glass-Steagall, passed the Commodity-Futures Modernization Act, passed NAFTA... all deregulation measures. He campaigned in 1992 promising a middle class tax cut. He had a secret deal with Newt Gingrich to privatize Social Security. He also passed the 1996 "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act" which significantly reduced federal aid to the poorest Americans, as part of his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we have come to know it".
He was also the only president since 1969 to oversee a budget surplus, and did it 4 times.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,221,403 times
This might help: https://ids.chass.ncsu.edu/mals/index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary