Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 PM

27 posts, read 94,097 times

Advertisements

Hello, I got a job at UNC and will be starting in March. I have a 3rd and 5th grader. I'm trying to narrow down neighborhoods and schools. I'm looking for a neighborhood with tons of kids and a pool. I realize CH has good schools. My son will be starting Middle School in the fall and he does have anxiety about it especially starting at a new school. Any information or recommendations on the Middle Schools & neighborhoods in Orange County would be great. Our price range for a house is up to $600K. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
I think your best bet is to visit the area with a good realtor.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
do you want Orange County schools, or Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools?

finding a neighborhood with an HOA including a community pool, and budget up to $600K should be very easy with a qualified Realtor.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 AM

I didn't realize there was a difference between Orange County schools vs CH-Carrboro.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmad View Post
I didn't realize there was a difference between Orange County schools vs CH-Carrboro.
Yes, most counties have a unified system, but Chapel Hill-Carrboro still has its own separate "city" school system. Its considered to be much better than the Orange County system, and one of the very top in the state. There is an extra property tax to help pay for it.

Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools

Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yes, most counties have a unified system, but Chapel Hill-Carrboro still has its own separate "city" school system. Its considered to be much better than the Orange County system, and one of the very top in the state. There is an extra property tax to help pay for it.

Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools
Chapel Hill-Carrboro has the best schools in the state. Newsweek says 4 in the top 300 in the USA and 4 in the top 10 in NC,.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Yes, Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools are regarded as one of, if not the, best school systems in the state as I mentioned on your other thread. Orange County has good schools, too, but CHCCS usually scores a little better overall.

You can check out individual school performances and compare school systems on end of grade tests, SATs, ACTs, and other metrics at the state's accountability site: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Can you give us more to go on than a neighborhood with lots of kids? There are lots of families in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. You might look at Lake Hogan Farms, Winmore and Claremont for new construction, Southern Village (teeming with families), Meadowmont, Wexford, Cates Farm, Spring Valley, Sunset Creek, Parkside, etc.

Also worth noting is that Chapel Hill has a summer swim league (www.chapelhillsummerswimleague.com/) and several pools that you can join like the Chapel Hill Tennis Club, Exchange Pool, Heritage Hills, etc, so you don't have to have a pool right in your neighborhood. There are also several nice pools run by the city.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Would you say that the CH- Carrboro City schools are pressure cookers? We are in Northern VA and it's over the top here. My 10 year old son is writing his resume and cover letter! THere's a ton of homework and work in 5th grade so I'm all for good schools but they are kids.

I appreciate all the information!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Would you say that the CH- Carrboro City schools are pressure cookers? We are in Northern VA and it's over the top here. My 10 year old son is writing his resume and cover letter! THere's a ton of homework and work in 5th grade so I'm all for good schools but they are kids.

Here are some existing threads you may be interested in:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...apel-hill.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tp-advice.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-district.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...am-public.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ons-areas.html

Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:

I don't recall my kids having a ton of homework when they were in 5th grade, but I'm sure it depends on the teachers, too.

Some people find high school at CHCCS to be stressful. I haven't heard about elementary school being a pressure cooker. It wasn't at Carrboro Elementary where my kids went.

If you have a kid that tends to be ambitious, a perfectionist, and competitive, when they're in high school they may feel some academic pressure. If you have an easy-going kid they might let it all roll off their back. There are kids in the high schools who some people would say are overly obsessed with their grades. I have heard of kids taking extra summer school courses in high school just so they could improve their class rank even though they were already in the top 1% of their class. That was several years ago, though, and I'm not sure the schools are even still reporting class rank . I think that pressure is mostly coming from the kids, though, and not the schools. There are just a bunch of really bright kids here — sons and daughters of professors, doctors, scientists, and others that highly value education — and sometimes that translates into kids putting a lot of academic pressure on themselves.

As I mentioned, my oldest has anxiety and we opted out of CHCCS after elementary school just so she could be in a smaller environment. My youngest wanted to follow her, but she hasn't decided yet about high school. Chapel Hill High, where we are zoned, offers a lot more different type of courses than the charter so she may go there instead.

We do have a few other CHCCS parents here so hope they'll chime in.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-01-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary