Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Remember the crime issues that may be created there.

Underground tunnels without proper protection will be a very good opportunity for robberies and worse.
Considering almost no one will ever even be near this tunnel except during an event with tens of thousands of people and lots of police, I don’t see a huge issue here. But feel free to avoid it at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The main consideration is height -- an overpass has to be 14-16' tall so that trucks can go underneath, whereas underpasses are only 10' tall.
Also, for a bridge there'd have to be an elevator for ADA compliance but with a tunnel a ramp of the appropriate slope suffices. Elevators are expensive to build and maintain.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Considering almost no one will ever even be near this tunnel except during an event with tens of thousands of people and lots of police, I don’t see a huge issue here. But feel free to avoid it at all costs.
I agree. It does make me wonder if it'll be open all the time or just for big events. I can't imagine closing it would be something they'd actually do, but who knows. I'd prefer it to be open all the time, crossing Trinity on foot isn't fun.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
I assume that the tunnel will be well lit and probably have a camera or two set up. I think it's easy to see that there is potential for crime & other things to happen there and precautions will be made to keep it to a minimum.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:26 PM

200 posts, read 358,590 times
Driving to work on Trinity Road early this morning and the signs are now up alerting the road will be closed beginning March 5th. The sign was near the Hunt Horse Complex...

Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I agree. It does make me wonder if it'll be open all the time or just for big events. I can't imagine closing it would be something they'd actually do, but who knows. I'd prefer it to be open all the time, crossing Trinity on foot isn't fun.
There are many (!!!) Tunnels in our greenway system. They don't close those, so I assume they won't close this one.

They are typically safe, but I do get the heebie jeebies when I ride my bike through some of the downtown tunnels after dark. There is one on Dix campus that I only do when with others. It's spooky.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
There are many (!!!) Tunnels in our greenway system. They don't close those, so I assume they won't close this one.

They are typically safe, but I do get the heebie jeebies when I ride my bike through some of the downtown tunnels after dark. There is one on Dix campus that I only do when with others. It's spooky.
"Technically" you aren't supposed to be on the greenways at night - but the city just says that so they aren't liable if something happens to you at night. Nobody is actually patrolling the greenways to enforce this (except at the art museum/Meredith where the greenway infringes on other property)

Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 AM

162 posts, read 212,826 times
I wonder if they'll use it for the State Fair. We usually cross Trinity from a private parking area. I would worry that the tunnel would be a bottle neck with the size of the crowds.

I wish they would put one of these at North Hills to cross Six Forks. The Lassiter Mill crossing is not too bad, but Six Forks is a death trap on foot.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy5305 View Post
I wonder if they'll use it for the State Fair. We usually cross Trinity from a private parking area. I would worry that the tunnel would be a bottle neck with the size of the crowds.
I'm 100% sure they will. Why wouldn't they?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy5305 View Post
I wish they would put one of these at North Hills to cross Six Forks. The Lassiter Mill crossing is not too bad, but Six Forks is a death trap on foot.
Given that NH is becoming, for all practical purposes, what Buckhead is to downtown Atlanta, you're right. Not many people understood it would happen. Kane did, and he'd probably argue that moving pedestrians safely from one side of Six Forks to the other is important.

Building a tunnel now would require closing Six Forks for months to allow a cut-and-cover technique like NCDOT is using on Trinity Road. I can't imagine that. Six Forks probably has more buried utilities than Trinity Road does. Boring under Six Forks would be enormously expensive.

In most Asian cities they would build a pedestrian bridge and say "bad luck" to seniors and the disabled, but here we abide by the ADA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary