Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:03 PM

15 posts, read 24,658 times

Advertisements

We moved to Raleigh last summer and are looking at magnet schools for kindergarten. Jeffreys Grove is one of our top choices but I'm getting cold feet on the Spanish immersion. I completely see the long-term benefits of a bilingual education, but what happens to the kids' development of English language skills like reading?

I'd love to hear from parents who aren't native Spanish speakers about how their kids have progressed. Was your child delayed in reading in English? Any concerns about their vocabulary or writing skills in English down the road?

Thanks in advance for any help! Applications are due soon and we're torn. For additional context, our base is North Ridge and our other contenders are Joyner, Brooks and Douglas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
the folks I know that have gone to Jeffreys Grove - be they base students or magnet - have been happy with the school. That's about all I can add for you.

Is there some reason you're not sold on North Ridge Elementary?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 AM

135 posts, read 269,290 times
We went to Jeffreys Grove as a base school and did not participate in Spanish immersion ourselves, but I have several friends (all non-native Spanish speakers) who have students in the program. None of them saw delays in English reading, and they all are very happy with the program. The kids are impressive and speak Spanish beautifully. Once they get to third grade and beyond, they do have some English reading/writing work to prepare them for state testing.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the folks I know that have gone to Jeffreys Grove - be they base students or magnet - have been happy with the school. That's about all I can add for you.

Is there some reason you're not sold on North Ridge Elementary?
Thanks for your input. I'm probably overthinking things, but it is great to hear that people are happy with the school! I don't have any real issues with North Ridge, I just like the "extras" that come with the magnet schools. Also, with North Ridge being torn down after this year, I'm not all that excited about the trailer campus where the kids would go for kindergarten

Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanieskid View Post
We went to Jeffreys Grove as a base school and did not participate in Spanish immersion ourselves, but I have several friends (all non-native Spanish speakers) who have students in the program. None of them saw delays in English reading, and they all are very happy with the program. The kids are impressive and speak Spanish beautifully. Once they get to third grade and beyond, they do have some English reading/writing work to prepare them for state testing.
So glad to hear that delays weren't an issue! That was the message from the magnet coordinator, but I really appreciate hearing it from real parents. Thank you!

Now we can just cross our fingers and hope to get in!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 7,598 times
Does anyone know whether it is very difficult to get into this school through magnet application?

Old 01-14-2019, 12:33 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Jeffrey's Grove is a very popular magnet program. It will likely depend on your WCPSS Magnet Priority and how many applicants are available. If you're interested in foreign language, you might consider Green Elementary, Joyner, or Wiley, which all provide daily instruction. Green is a little easier to get into.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM

OP here. In my research last year, I came across an N&O article that discussed acceptance rates. In the 2017-18 school year, JG accepted 30 students for kindergarten and rejected 47.

Not sure if links are allowed on here, but here is the link -- http://media2.newsobserver.com/conte...%20Denials.pdf. I found it very helpful!

Based on the magnet priority criteria we were high/med. We ended up listing Jeffrey's Grove as one of our choices and were not selected. We did get into Joyner, which has daily Spanish but isn't immersion.

Good luck! I know the process can be overwhelming.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
Last year they accepted 20 and rejected 50. It depends how many sibling priority applications they have too. I visited this morning. It's a really impressive program.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 AM

90 posts, read 89,868 times
Does anyone know someone who has successfully transferred into the regular school after starting at a different school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary