Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 03:50 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Your volume of posting lately confirms the success of your recovery!
Very Good, but....
Hipsters, Beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 04:02 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your volume of posting lately confirms the success of your recovery!
Very Good, but....
Hipsters, Beware!
You're a good guy Mike, and provide a lot of great info to board posters.

As you know, I once lived in a project in Manhattan and am witnessing the destruction of the middle class in NYC. Even very sketchy areas like East New York, Brooklyn where my grandparents lived, have been invaded by Hipsters displacing many folks who have nowhere to go.

It really bothers me to imagine Raleigh become similarly invaded forcing out long term residents and their children.

Greed is destroying our country in many ways.

Best regards to you and your family..

Old 02-05-2018, 04:14 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

As you know, I once lived in a project in Manhattan and am witnessing the destruction of the middle class in NYC. Even very sketchy areas like East New York, Brooklyn where my grandparents lived, have been invaded by Hipsters displacing many folks who have nowhere to go.

It really bothers me to imagine Raleigh become similarly invaded forcing out long term residents and their children.

Cap,
Thank you for the compliment, and for your kind words.
I wish all the best for you and your family.

I share your concern about effects of gentrification, but not the vitriolic expression of that concern.

Everyone is from somewhere, including you and me, and every single family of native NC'ers.
No one is 100% altruistic and virtuous, anywhere.

No area has the luxury of standing still to cling to the past. Forced Stagnation is the foundation of slipping backwards.
That fact is born out routinely in PA where I lived before coming to NC 20 years ago.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 02-05-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
You are a very important part our forum. What would life be without a variety of viewpoints or opinions. Anyway, glad you are feeling bettter!

Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Glad you're better, Mr. Cap.

I do get what you're saying and I think Mike said it well. Also there is no stopping this train (I did a quick real estate search in Durham last night for houses under $250K and there were very few in the western half; all of them that were there were contingent)

Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 AM

420 posts, read 451,977 times
Happy to hear your pain has relented. May you be blessed with good health moving forward.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Glad you are feeling better. I don't think I knew you were going through all that, but mostly just glad you are well.

Count me as another who disagrees with much you post, but appreciates your perspective no less.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Very happy that you're doing better CB. Hope you're around posting for years to come

Old 02-05-2018, 06:01 AM

873 posts, read 1,016,648 times
Good to hear you are getting better. I also echo what others on here are saying. I agree with your concerns about gentrifications, but you've got to stop complaining that it's all due to "hipsters" moving into the area. It's much more than that.

And they are not forcing us all to live in "tinderboxes." There are quality developments going up in the Triangle, even some that are affordable to the middle class.

Growth is not all bad when smartly done. I think you agree with that. With that, I'd ask that you consider how you phrase your beliefs when making your case to be more effective rather than sound repetitive and tired by using the same dubious statements. It would definitely help add to the quality of discussion on this forum and bolster your credibility at the same time.

Take care, and good luck on your recovery.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Sorry to hear you were unwell but glad that things have improved.

Quite frankly, City Data would be a bore without you. You're the best example of why social media is so engaging, the entrenched contrarian railing against the popular rhetoric. No one ever agrees with you but it never slows you down or scares you off. And you're also an excellent litmus test for our social media driven society; people rush to disagree with you without even considering what you're saying and that's terrifying. You force me to consider an opposing viewpoint on many Raleigh-specific topics which I consider essential in order to maintain both balance and a fully formed opinion.

Keep at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Hipsters in East New York? Is nothing sacred? I grew up in Howard Beach and my family worked and had businesses in East New York right through to near 2000. I'm assuming the first of those who arrived were stabbed, beaten and left for dead before the volume became too great to scare away. And where are all those displaced crack whores going to sell their wares now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary