Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times

Advertisements

In general, dogs that aren't under your control / off leash are not permitted. Unless you find a place that has a pond or lake, or a dog park that has one (I don't know of any). I've seen people let their dogs run free on trails and other places, but that's a whole other argument about intentionally ignoring rules.

We have Brita pitchers but when I use it for boiling water, I just use straight tap.

In our apartment, we have no control over the water situation. There's sediment in it, which collects in our white drainboard and on the enamel in sinks and tubs. When we get a house, I'll most likely look into a whole-house filtration system.

As far as lakes go, NY water wasn't that clean either but I let my dogs swim in certain areas and then I'd bathe them and clean their ears when we got home. But our tap water didn't come from the areas they just swam in like it does here. We may wind up with well water, which should be cleaner than a lake like Falls, so I'd feel better about bathing them at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Raleigh tap water is fine.

There is an occasional problem in the large local lakes (Falls and Jordan) with fecal coliform, but those problems are widely publicized. The watersheds feeding the lakes are not large and do not have significant industry.

There has been a longstanding PCB concern with Lake Crabtree and Crabtree Creek, but it feeds into the Neuse River at a point downstream from Raleigh. The concern specifically is ingesting fish, not the water itself.
Yup, there are PCB warnings at Umstead State Park as well, for the creek that runs along the Company Mill trail. I haven't seen these signs at Lake Johnson but swimming isn't permitted there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM

260 posts, read 637,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We have a whole-house filter and our fridge filters water, so I guess filtered. Cary water is gross to me.
I have to disagree. We use fridge filter and sometime take tap water. Town of Cary tap water is just fine. Cary does better job keeping citizens aware of water quality. Check out Water Treatment | Town of Cary

Old 02-06-2018, 12:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachivalay View Post
I have to disagree. We use fridge filter and sometime take tap water. Town of Cary tap water is just fine. Cary does better job keeping citizens aware of water quality. Check out Water Treatment | Town of Cary
Feel free to disagree. I think it's disgusting.

In fact, I don't even like glasses in restaurants in Cary that have been washed in it.

Not all are bad, but some are so bad that I can still smell it even if I order bottled water to drink and pour it in a glass. If a place is casual, I'll drink right out of the bottle to avoid glassware washed in some restaurants here.

I have no doubt it's safe, I just have a very sensitive nose.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:03 PM

82 posts, read 70,200 times
The city water is definitely fine! We have no issues around here with water but some choose to get bottled water instead. It is just personal preference but there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I only drink distilled water, or rain water, and only pure grain alcohol.
You too are concerned about the Ruskies stealing your essence?

I drink it from my well filtered through my refrigerator.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I use both of my tiny hands, just like Trump.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
I was doing a combination of tap water sometimes, but mostly bottled water. I got very tired of carrying it in and even using gallon bottles it seemed like a huge amount of plastic waste.

But in the almost three years I've lived here, we've had at least two boil water advisories which I saw several hours after the problems began; so in addition to the "normal" stuff in the water, there are surges of increased contamination.

Now I'm using the aquasana clean water machine. The water tastes fabulous. Actually, it tastes like nothing, just fresh. It (according to its publicity) filters out many of the pharmaceuticals, which few of the pitcher filters seem to. The machine makes a bit of noise but not as much as my Blendtec.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:10 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times

Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM

187 posts, read 226,612 times
I'm a little sensitive about the PCB warnings (sensitive is a nicer word than paranoid )
There's been a lot of cancer in my family and my mom is just about done with her cancer treatments so water is a concern, we've been using bottles and we really wanted to just go with filtered in Raleigh!

But this brings me to another question. Do people much mind dogs off leash outside of dog park areas? Mine are seniors now and slow. If they were to be off leash at a spot in a park that was empty would it bother the majority of folks in Raleigh do you think or they don't care? I def will keep on leashes if it's an issue at all. I'm used to being in areas where just no one is around when I take them out so never really thought about this before! I drive out to lakes and woods here in NJ...but that's just because there's no where else to go haha. I was at Lake Johnson, Pullen Park, William B Umstead, and a park near Duke Uni (I forget the name) when I visited. I only let them off in the Duke park to go in the water because it was so quiet, the others had lots of people around which was a nice change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
In general, dogs that aren't under your control / off leash are not permitted. Unless you find a place that has a pond or lake, or a dog park that has one (I don't know of any). I've seen people let their dogs run free on trails and other places, but that's a whole other argument about intentionally ignoring rules.

We have Brita pitchers but when I use it for boiling water, I just use straight tap.

In our apartment, we have no control over the water situation. There's sediment in it, which collects in our white drainboard and on the enamel in sinks and tubs. When we get a house, I'll most likely look into a whole-house filtration system.

As far as lakes go, NY water wasn't that clean either but I let my dogs swim in certain areas and then I'd bathe them and clean their ears when we got home. But our tap water didn't come from the areas they just swam in like it does here. We may wind up with well water, which should be cleaner than a lake like Falls, so I'd feel better about bathing them at home.

Yup, there are PCB warnings at Umstead State Park as well, for the creek that runs along the Company Mill trail. I haven't seen these signs at Lake Johnson but swimming isn't permitted there.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post

But this brings me to another question. Do people much mind dogs off leash outside of dog park areas? Mine are seniors now and slow. If they were to be off leash at a spot in a park that was empty would it bother the majority of folks in Raleigh do you think or they don't care? I def will keep on leashes if it's an issue at all. I'm used to being in areas where just no one is around when I take them out so never really thought about this before! I drive out to lakes and woods here in NJ...but that's just because there's no where else to go haha. I was at Lake Johnson, Pullen Park, William B Umstead, and a park near Duke Uni (I forget the name) when I visited. I only let them off in the Duke park to go in the water because it was so quiet, the others had lots of people around which was a nice change!
People mind, but there are places people go where it's semi-accepted. You have to remember that other dogs may not react well to a friendly off-leash dog coming up to them.

That said - people do tend to have dogs off leash in Duke Forest and Penny's Bend. Don't let them off leash at the parks you mentioned - but do bring a long leash so they can go swimming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary