Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Quite restrictive. Lochmere HOA is no joke. My dad is in the Highlands section and I can't think of a single house that has a fenced in yard. I'm not sure if that's because they aren't allowed or people just don't build them. Either way they would definitely have restrictions.

I believe sheds/backyard structures are only allowed if they match the house. Same siding and same roofing.

I built a fort in the backyard (back in the woods!) with some 2x4s and plywood when I was about 10/11 and the Lochmere HOA sent us a letter saying it had to be torn down
What you just communicated is pretty common for most HOA's in upper/upper middle-income neighborhoods in the triangle. I'm sure some are more restrictive and some less, but backyard structures matching the house in siding, color, roofing, etc. is common from what I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Architectural standards: http://www.lochmere.org/images/Commi...1_Approved.pdf

Looks like fences are allowed with approval - similar to most HOA's.
Thank you.

Five feet is the maximum. That's not going to do it. I know deer can jump seven foot fences, but the higher it is, the better my chances.

I know people put secondary fences around vegetable gardens but I plan on having planting beds around the entire yard.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Thank you.

Five feet is the maximum. That's not going to do it. I know deer can jump seven foot fences, but the higher it is, the better my chances.

I know people put secondary fences around vegetable gardens but I plan on having planting beds around the entire yard.
I think that's going to be pretty standard. You may have to look for no-HOA neighborhoods if you want a fence over 7 feet.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I think that's going to be pretty standard. You may have to look for no-HOA neighborhoods if you want a fence over 7 feet.
Ahhh damn don't tell me that

I'm going to really limit my choices if I can't do an HOA neighborhood.

Sounds like I need to research on deer deterrents. Anytime I've read about them, all I gleaned was that it's nearly impossible to deter them once they have a taste for your yard.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Ahhh damn don't tell me that

I'm going to really limit my choices if I can't do an HOA neighborhood.

Sounds like I need to research on deer deterrents. Anytime I've read about them, all I gleaned was that it's nearly impossible to deter them once they have a taste for your yard.
I don't know how common deer are in your typical Triangle dense subdivision.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Yeah, despite us seeing deer fairly often near our neighborhood, we never had any problems with them venturing into yards in the interior of the 'hood. Small critters, otoh, were an issue with my wife's garden.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know how common deer are in your typical Triangle dense subdivision.
Really? Maybe they have so much vegetation in natural areas to munch on, they aren't as big of a problem in subdivisions? That would be awesome.

I could purchase over 100 different plants each year, it would be quite the year-round buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Yeah, despite us seeing deer fairly often near our neighborhood, we never had any problems with them venturing into yards in the interior of the 'hood. Small critters, otoh, were an issue with my wife's garden.
What kind do you mean, rabbits? Moles, voles, something else?

I had a rabbit problem but only with certain flowers, so I'd spray them with this stuff I bought when they were putting out the new tender growth that rabbits love to eat. It seemed to do the trick. I couldn't use it on flowers though.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:41 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Definitely rabbits, not sure if other ones

Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I agree, you're not likely to find a subdivision that allows a 7 foot fence. Mine allows 4 foot fences (which most people have) and they have to be wood. Fencing in a half acre (or more) is going to be $$$$$$....might want to look for something already fenced. You should also keep the tree situation in mind if you want to plant your own stuff....older neighborhoods tend to have a lot of trees. We had 30 cleared from our property to make a nice grassy area for the kids but the back of my property is still like the woods!

We've seen deer in our neighborhood but they're usually just passing through... I agree with m378 that you're probably not going to have too much trouble in a subdivision with deer.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:52 PM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
Quote:
Really? Maybe they have so much vegetation in natural areas to munch on, they aren't as big of a problem in subdivisions? That would be awesome.

I could purchase over 100 different plants each year, it would be quite the year-round buffet.

What kind do you mean, rabbits? Moles, voles, something else?
I think the deer issue is going to be heavily location / lot dependent. In the West Cary boom area, where every square foot of land is covered in a 0.12 acre lot, it's not going to be a significant issue. It wasn't when we lived in Highcroft.

Now that we bought a 0.75 acre lot near Lake Wheeler, deer are an almost daily occurrence certain times of year in the back yard. We did raised vegetable beds, with a 6' deer fence just around the beds, and have had no issue. The rest of the yard is free game, so we have to be cautious as to what they plant (and where we walk barefoot). I don't see them jumping over a 6' fence on a normal basis. We have a 5' ornamental aluminum pool fence around a portion of the yard, and they have never been inside the pool area, despite, what would likely be some tasty vegetation treats.

We have seen lots of rabbits, moles, etc as well. Our mostly indoor house-cat will occasionally bring back a nice "gift" if the weather is nice and she's spending time outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary