Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You entirely misread it.

I was being literal. Where in the world did you live where every theatre, even the super cheapo ones, was decidedly fresher and nicer than the one you were hurrying home after to shower and sanitize?

Rather than question and snark my first-hand observations, why not visit for yourself to see what others have already corroborated on how dirty the place is.

The musty seats seem as if they have never been cleaned, encrusted with food and 30 years of bodily excretions, dust, grime, and possibly worse. If there are mites living in any of our seemingly clean pillows, it doesn't take a germ freak to realize how unsanitary this place is.

If even nicer, newer theaters have had issues with lice and bedbugs, this place is radioactive.

To add, the theater was cold and the bathroom had an unmistakable potential for assault.

In comparison, the Regals we have been to were nothing of this sort.

My observations, take 'em or leave 'em. I won't engage you further on this.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-14-2018 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post

Rather than question and snark my first-hand observations, why not visit for yourself to see what others have already corroborated on how dirty the place is.

The musty seats seem as if they have never been cleaned, encrusted with food and 30 years of bodily excretions, dust, grime, and possibly worse. If there are mites living in any of our seemingly clean pillows, it doesn't take a germ freak to realize how unsanitary this place is.

If even nicer, newer theaters have had issues with lice and bedbugs, this place is radioactive.

To add, the theater was cold and the bathroom had an unmistakable potential for assault.

In comparison, the Regals we have been to were nothing of this sort.

My observations, take 'em or leave 'em. I won't engage you further on this.
I wasn’t questioning your observations of the theater. Hell, it was not up to my standards 20 years ago.

If I went to a place, walked in, and it was so nasty I’d want a spray-down with Lysol when I left, I would not stay for the film.

That’s all. I am, however, quite sure that most places of any size have a grimy theater or two.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM

163 posts, read 154,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, I believe it. I have not been to that theater since about 1997.

LOL.

It was kinda funky back then, too.

Still, I'm amazed it is operational if one must shower when they leave.
I was just out of college at NCSU and living across the street in the Westgrove apartments when that place opened in the early to mid-90s. I don't think I ever visited it again after they raised the prices from $1.

And I think it started smelling funky as soon as the new construction smell wore off...lol.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
I was just out of college at NCSU and living across the street in the Westgrove apartments when that place opened in the early to mid-90s. I don't think I ever visited it again after they raised the prices from $1.

And I think it started smelling funky as soon as the new construction smell wore off...lol.
Yeah... that is exactly how I remember it, too.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM

163 posts, read 154,539 times
I really like the giant screen at the Frank Theaters off of 55 at 540 at Parkside, since most IMAX showings (Marbles, Crossroads, Southpoint) are 3D (which gives me headaches).

I'm trying to buy advance tickets for the new Avengers flick and their online ticketing keeps giving me load errors. Glanced at their social media (FB, Twitter) and noticed a strange lack of posts so far in 2018, for both the local page and the corporate page. Last time I was there (for Black Panther), their concession stand credit card machines were connecting at dial-up speeds and only 2 lines were open so I finally gave up and went in without snacks/drinks for my daughter & me. I'm starting to think the chain may be in the death throes and will shut down before much longer.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Good catch, Odisn.

Frank Theatres CineBowl & Grille reopens; owner says company in for long term | Blacksburg News | roanoke.com

http://www.timesnews.net/Business/20...d-to-law-court

Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
I went to Alamo Drafthouse this weekend and had a great experience. The seats there don't recline as back as they do at other places because they have to leave room for waiters bringing you food but it was as good of an experience as say Cinebistro. They also have an extensive DVD and VHS collection that you can rent for free for a week (2 at a time)

Old 10-19-2018, 07:36 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Update to this thread.

AMC is in The process of updating (all?) Their theaters in the Triangle. Holly Springs Dine-in has had them for a long time (maybe it was built that way in the first place? I don't know the history and have never visited this theayer).

The AMC in Morrisville has installed them in most of their theaters and will be finished by the end of November. At that time, they will change their system for seat selection.

Southpoint will be next (and it's a pretty nice theater already). Beginning in late December with a completion date of March. They already have assigned seating in their IMAX theater, and I don't know if they plan on changing the seating in that one. Southpoint also brings in a fair number of indies (big kudo's).

OT PS - First Man is positively astounding in IMAX. The space shuttle scenes make you feel like you're really there, teeth rattling in those tin can rockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary