Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Agree and it is now harder to meet friends with everyone getting their own tickets and meeting in the lobby.
My friends and I just coordinate by using our apps at the same time. "Okay, I'm grabbing G5 ... G6 through 8 are still available. Grab 'em."

Before reserving seats, we often had to split up because there weren't enough seats together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:20 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
I also like going to the Rialto Theatre/Six Forks Cinema for movies. If I do like a spruced up theatre, I go to Park West or Raleigh Grande.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:38 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,824,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
... I've looked at MoviePass. ... It seems like a bit of a hassle to use at the theater, and I can't figure out how in hell their business plan makes any sense unless they want to LOSE money. But I'll revisit it and reconsider. Thanks for the reminder.
It's just a loss-leader. I'd not be surprised to find out that MoviePass was owned, or subsidized by the theaters.

Keep in mind that the revenue to the theaters from ticket sales is a small part of their economics.
If you buy a ticket, they get you in the door where you are also more likely to buy concessions, where their real profits come from.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

Keep in mind that the revenue to the theaters from ticket sales is a small part of their economics.
If you buy a ticket, they get you in the door where you are also more likely to buy concessions, where their real profits come from.
We bring our own

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Do they allow for seat selection?
At the theater, yes. But you can't use MoviePass online, afaik.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The worst thing about this kind of seating is that theaters seem to think they also have to assign seats. So, buying tickets at the door has become a 5 minute per person ordeal.
Which is why you buy these online.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My friends and I just coordinate by using our apps at the same time. "Okay, I'm grabbing G5 ... G6 through 8 are still available. Grab 'em."

Before reserving seats, we often had to split up because there weren't enough seats together.
Or, one person buys all the tickets and the others reimburse that person when they arrive at the theater.

It's not rocket science.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Or, one person buys all the tickets and the others reimburse that person when they arrive at the theater.
True. Especially easy if the purchaser can receive funds through something like PayPal or Venmo.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
True. Especially easy if the purchaser can receive funds through something like PayPal or Venmo.
Or, now... ApplePay also works for cash transactions. There are many ways to manage this easily.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,485 times
We stopped going to the movies years ago. Got fed up with high prices, other people talking, uncomfortable seats, etc.

Last year we went with the kid to Cinebistro and were pleasantly surprised. In our aisle, there was plenty of legroom: with fully reclined seat and footrest, there was enough space for the servers to walk through comfortably. We didn't order any food, just drinks and popcorn. Popcorn is served in a fancy bowl and it's unlimited. But the bowl is not very large and you have to go to the stand to get a refill. This is rather inconvenient, especially with the kids. Other than that I have no complaints though. Had a great time. And I like that their evening shows are adults only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary