Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:13 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,599,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
WNCT used to be pretty decent. My folks used to prefer it over WITN when we lived in Warsaw in Duplin County from 1998-2000. My grandma recorded their coverage of Hurricane Floyd on a blank VHS tape (still have the tape floating around the house somewhere).

Seeing their newscast now...it's hard to believe it's the same station we watched 20 years ago.
Hurricane Floyd coverage was peak WNCT. They had a great cast of reporters and anchors at that time. It really went downhill since then.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I figured the switch to the “CBS North Carolina” name was a step in that direction.
It wasn't lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I don't know of anybody that ever watched WNCN, even before they became a CBS affiliate.

I did once in a blue ... just to laugh and critique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post

For WNCN, I like weather on the weekends with Bill Reh. He's been on about every station in the area and at least knows how to pronounce the names of smaller communities.

He's the only saving grace there.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Bill Reh is great. Never understood why he isn’t their main 6pm weatherman.
Or Chief Meteorologist. Wasn't he the Chief Meteorologist for NCN at one point?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM

386 posts, read 436,798 times
Best morning crew is Barbara Gibbs and John Clark over on the ABC affiliate. Big Weather gets on my nerves a little with him always plugging his facebook page, and his uncomfortable fawning over Ginger Zee is off-putting. But he was pretty accurate throughout the last few snowstorms iirc. Kim Deaner is also serviceable but i liked Amber Rupinta slightly better as the traffic girl.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 PM

171 posts, read 143,137 times
I’m pretty sure that Greg Fishel’s wife has MS. I used to do the MS charity ride in New Bern every year and most times he would be there as a celebrity ride starter, or give a little talk to thank everyone for riding and say how much it meant to him to see everyone out. I just looked it up and she was first diagnosed in 2004.

My first thought on hearing he was taking a medical leave was that maybe his wife had complications, and that he needed to take some time to look after his family. Whatever it is I wish him the best and hope things work out for them.

Last edited by OberlinSouth; 02-12-2018 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Best morning crew is Barbara Gibbs and John Clark over on the ABC affiliate. Big Weather gets on my nerves a little with him always plugging his facebook page, and his uncomfortable fawning over Ginger Zee is off-putting. But he was pretty accurate throughout the last few snowstorms iirc. Kim Deaner is also serviceable but i liked Amber Rupinta slightly better as the traffic girl.
Easily.

Kim is fine with me. About as syrupy southern as a broadcast news personality can be to complement Barbara. Dunno what happened with her not doing the weather anymore.

Amber is coming into her own in her new role, imo.

Caitlyn Knute and Anna Laurel's departures were huge blows, however. But abc11 had enough B-Teamers to step up and fill the void.

I really thought Anna was gonna push Barbara for her spot in a couple of years.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,077 times
As someone who watches WRAL most of the time, I will sometimes go over to WTVD (mainly the 4 PM newscast). For the most part, they're fine but I find their delivery a bit dramatic sometimes.

(Also, ABC11's graphics don't look as good as WRAL's, but they're much better looking than WNCN's which definitely looks low budget)

Did anyone see that commercial for the ABC11 Troubleshooter a few weeks ago? The one with the HOA?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
WRAL is one of the nation's most respected local news stations.

In the nineties when satellite TV didn't localize the big network channels so that people could watch their local news for ABC, CBS, NBC...

WRAL was the CBS carrier for entire Western Hemisphere's Eastern Time Zone, maybe Central Zone also.

I remember being in Atlanta at a friend's house one weeknight, and I began hearing about severe thunderstorms in Harnett County, and looked up to see my hometown station being broadcast in Atlanta. I was like what the?

When WRAL was founded, WPTF was the media juggernaut for the area, and WRAL went up against them in the battle for a TV station for Raleigh, and after months of preparation, they wowed the FCC in Washington, D.C. and won.

Personally I think they go a little overboard in the racial diversity of on-air reporters.

Their current mix of nationalities better reflects Los Angeles's racial composition more than that of East-central North Carolina.

They need to bring in several hot, young MALE anchors and reporters.

The young folks coming to the Triangle need some eye candy of both genders.

And with so, so many weathermen and young reporters around the country being gay,

I'll bet no one is openly gay at WRAL who is on camera. Raleigh has to be one of the most homo-uncomfortable last bastions in the country.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
As someone who watches WRAL most of the time, I will sometimes go over to WTVD (mainly the 4 PM newscast). For the most part, they're fine but I find their delivery a bit dramatic sometimes.

(Also, ABC11's graphics don't look as good as WRAL's, but they're much better looking than WNCN's which definitely looks low budget)

Did anyone see that commercial for the ABC11 Troubleshooter a few weeks ago? The one with the HOA?
ABC11s on air talent actually displays some semblance of a personality ... but it can teeter into too much editorializing and some off color comments ... Yes, I respect WRAL more for its hard news coverage but I’d rather watch paint dry than that newscast. Renee Chou comes across like she doesn’t even wanna be there half the time lol ... they’re all so stiff at wral... Elizabeth Gardener tries so hard ... she’s so awkwardly girl-next-door goofy that’s she’s “bless your heart” likeable . I believe that’s genuinely her... and that’s refreshing .

Over the last 3 years, WRAL has lost soooo much of their talent with three announcing retirement or a job change in late 2017. They really haven’t been able to catch back up to abc11, which passed them and retained their longstanding talent better.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
ABC11s on air talent actually displays some semblance of a personality ... but it can teeter into too much editorializing and some off color comments ... Yes, I respect WRAL more for its hard news coverage but I’d rather watch paint dry than that newscast. Renee Chou comes across like she doesn’t even wanna be there half the time lol ... they’re all so stiff at wral... Elizabeth Gardener tries so hard ... she’s so awkwardly girl-next-door goofy that’s she’s “bless your heart” likeable . I believe that’s genuinely her... and that’s refreshing ..
I agree on one and maybe two points. The ABC evening anchors are for me the least cringe-worthy of the the main 3 local choices, with probably the least amount of fake-ness and contrived between-story banter. I've already posted about Gardner being a channel-changer for me so this is where we disagree. I like Fisch as much as I like Chris, and Brittany seems less wooden recently. I've read that some here don't like Chou but I'm neutral on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary