Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 859 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, new to the forums here. I've only been driving since 2008 and can't tell you the amount of horrible experiences I've had with mechanics here, being extremely overcharged, not fixing something that needed to be fixed and not telling me (transmission on my first car) or fixing something or replacing something I later found out that didn't need to be fixed or replaced. Back in 2014 a co-worker of mine gave the name and number of an honest guy who works of the books really cheap. he has been my main mechanic, doing oil changes, replacing, brakes, and everything else I've needed done. I haven't been able to get a hold of him for the last 3 months though. Back in October of 2015 I brought my car to Midas on 15-501 in Durham, the guy told me my car was leaking oil, would not tell me the cause or name of the part I needed, but said it would cost me over $900 to fix and it needed to be fixed immediately or very soon otherwise I'd be in trouble. Of course I freaked at over this got in touch with my mechanic and he told me it was my front crank seal and rear main seal that needed to be replaced and he was going to charge me $300 for parts and labor, he also said there was no rush to fix and he would monitor how much oil it was leaking every time I saw him for regular oil changes or other repairs he was doing. He also said I may at some point need my transmission fluid changed (I'm not sure if that means having your transmission flushed) but would also monitor it and let me know when. So my question is can someone recommend a place where I can get an oil change (Jiffy Lube usually doesn't tell me anything) who will check on the things I mentioned (front crank seal and transmission) and give me an honest answer. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a mechanic shop in Durham or surrounding area who will do this labor at a reasonable price. In case it matters I drive a 97 Honda Civic, about 121,000 miles on it. Any input is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:54 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times
Wasp Automotive is very highly recommended by my coworkers in Durham. They specialize in Japanese makes.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Wasp

Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Wasp for major work. (for future reference, they only deal with Japanese cars. They are, literally, one of the reasons we bought a Toyota instead of another Hyundai. Yes, they are that good and that honest.)

Oil Change - AAA is my go to, but otherwise, I stay very far away from chains like Jiffy Lube, etc.

BTW - Discount Tire does tire rotation and inflate for free (sometimes with a wait). They also are great places to buy tires.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:52 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Wasp is the one everyone likes but I also know a lot of people who use Konrad. I've never used either, but I do trust those reviews.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:36 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,748,556 times
Another recommendation for WASP auto for your Honda. Although I will follow this thread for other recs as you can never know too many trustworthy mechanics.

I go to Wasp for simple oil changes also, but you definitely have to book the appointment because it gets busy there. These mechanics will definitely tell you if you don't need to do certain work. I also like how they bring you into the garage to show you what they found.

The place is not the greatest in terms of "show" for the building, but a great place to get your car serviced.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 859 times
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions and have also found exceptional reviews on WASP so I guess I will make an appointment with them next week. Can any one give me some price comparisons on work that's been done at other places and then been done at WASP?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:27 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusinNC View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the suggestions and have also found exceptional reviews on WASP so I guess I will make an appointment with them next week. Can any one give me some price comparisons on work that's been done at other places and then been done at WASP?
Nope. I don't bother to take the Toyota anywhere else (or the Honda SUV that we used to own). I'm betting that others feel the same way.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,748,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusinNC View Post

I don't have the actual numbers with me. But I did price comparisons with a Honda dealership in Cary, and Acura dealership in Cary, and all services were way cheaper at Wasp. Combined with my friends/family who have the same numbers, I can reliably say forget your own research and just go to Wasp.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:42 PM

385 posts, read 348,532 times
I don't think any regular shop would be a lot less than $700. They just have too much overhead. In fact if both seals are bad the engine may be on its last legs. My backyard mechanic moved to Concord but I've had good luck with Cricket in Cary. I don't know if they do major engine work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary