Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM

80 posts, read 53,304 times

Advertisements

Background: Lived in NC all my life. Undergrad at NCSU many moons ago so any impressions I had have probably changed since then. Grad school at Appstate. Boone was by far the best place I have ever lived lifestyle and people-wise, but I hate the cold so not a good long-term fit.

Been in Charlotte far too long and now upcoming job transfer to New Hill area. Thank God I'm leaving Charlotte. The tract house monotony is giving me anxiety. Seriously just the sight of all those decimated trees and cube-farm homes makes me want to die. There is absolutely no charm here what-so-ever.

HATE:
- long commutes (anything over 30 minutes)!
- public school!
- tract housing!
- beer and spectator sport culture! (why watch when you could play? is my personality)
- people who only take their dogs out in the evenings to deuce in my yard and not clean it up

LOVE:
- short commute to New Hill (less than 30 minutes during rush hour)
- alternative education (i.e. homeschool co-ops; montessori)
- mid-century modern homes/neighborhoods
- mature landscaping
- parks/nature
- small scale vegetable gardening (currently making it work on the typical postage stamp lot but would love to expand)
- local restaurants (as opposed to chains)
- home 2000 square feet OR LESS (aspiring minimalist). Currently in 1600 sq. ft. and it's too much but of course lay-out has a lot to do with that.
- diversity in neighbors (old and young)
- neighborhood one could walk in for exercise (would much rather walk outside every evening and hear the birds than bore myself on some gym equipment. This is a significant activity for our family, a ritual we partake in daily and significantly increases our happiness, health, and bond. And it's free!!!)
- Running into similarly educated people (Master's degree) every now and then (not required because we value all paths, but it is nice to meet people every now and then that understand your references.

If we aren't working, we're taking our small child to the library/museum, hiking trail, biking, scuba diving, kayaking, gardening. We tend to eat at home and spend as much time outdoors as possible.

We don't care about television or pop culture or politics or clothes or competition. We just want to put in an honest day's work, go home and eat a good meal, then get outside and play together as family. And one of us goes to church (Christian) every now and then, too.

Where should we look for our next home and who do you suggest as a realtor? Thanks!

Last edited by teddy_clark; 02-12-2018 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
"- mid-century modern homes/neighborhoods "
This may be a bit of a challenge. Not impossible, though. Just may take a bit of luck and timing.
And, finding a neighborhood of predominately mid-century modern homes will be much harder than finding one MCM house.

Otherwise, I would say some of the older neighborhoods in DT Cary.
They can be heavily wooded enough that gardening could be a challenge on some lots.
And, if you are a serious vegetable gardener, avoiding strict HOAs may be wise, also.
Closer to US 1 for the <30 minute commute would be good, but you would be going against the majority of traffic and that is helpful.
Meadowmont, Irongate, Coronado Village, Stoneybrook Estates, Hillsdale Forest, Walnut Hills, Greenwood Forest, Pirates Cove, MacDonald Woods, Pepperdine.

None of these are particularly expensive, but you don't mention price targets.
But, I think that mid-century modern architecture will be scarce in those neighborhoods.

And, you might consider SW Raleigh neighborhoods.
Driftwood Estates, Cardinal Hills, and other neighborhoods around Powell Drive, Athens Drive, south of Western Blvd, and close to 440/US1. Might be on the outer limits of the desired 30 minute commute.
This area may well present more MCM home opportunities, and is close to NC State for cultural stuff.
You can avoid HOAs, and put 'maters right in the front yard, if that is your desire.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
^^^ Agree with Mike (well it's his job to be right about this stuff, right?) about looking around downtown Cary. Not sure what "alternative" schools there are nearby but I'm sure you're researching that anyway. I think there is a Montessori school around downtown. MCM may be a tough find, but I think you can find a neighborhood to your liking anyway.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:44 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
No, I'm not feeling anywhere in Wake County for you. I'm going to disagree with Mike. You want Chatham County. Right now it's got everything you'd like around Pittsboro. Very cute little downtown (maybe a little like West Jeff), great local restaurants, lots of outdoorsy opps, educated folks, BUT... there's a huge new development coming in called Chatham Park. It's a massive, massive live/work/play thing. Google it. Chatham County now, or 20 years ago is what you want. There is a great Montessori charter school called Willow Oak. Plenty of homeschoolers. Check it out, just be aware of Chatham Park looming on the horizon.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I wouldn't place the OP anywhere in the Triangle except maybe somewhere like Carrboro. Can't believe the Cary suggestions.

But I like beer and watching sports so what do I know. I also don't have a masters so that prevents me from understanding the OP

Old 02-13-2018, 05:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
People who never have been to Cary or Raleigh often don't recognize the potential of life in Cary or Raleigh...

What boxes from the OP's likes are not checked off in Cary? Museums is all I can see.
Or, in Raleigh? Which actually has a few museums.

I AM a bit curious about the access to the museums of Pittsboro, however.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
I'd say Carrboro would meet all of what OP is looking for. 30 minute commute to New Hill is within reason if you take Mt Carmel Church/Farrington road the whole way.

Also what is in New Hill? Shaeron Harris? If that's the case the 30 minute threshold would be tougher.

Old East Cary would potentially work too. But if OP doesn't want to be anywhere NEAR the newly built subdivisions galore/etc....that might be a deterrent.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
I don't think you're going to find the Triangle to be appreciably different from Charlotte in regard to most of the items on your love and hate lists.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
People who never have been to Cary or Raleigh often don't recognize the potential of life in Cary or Raleigh...

What boxes from the OP's likes are not checked off in Cary? Museums is all I can see.
Or, in Raleigh? Which actually has a few museums.

I AM a bit curious about the access to the museums of Pittsboro, however.
Cary never gets any respect (on these boards, at least). I'm finding myself in downtown Cary more and more often these days - taking a fun class at the Arts Center right now, and have already signed up for another in April. The area is really shaping up to be quite nice. I haven't given in to the temptation of Annelore's bakery yet though - holding strong!

And commuting from Carrboro to New Hill? Google maps has it at 32-37 minutes.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:38 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Cary never gets any respect (on these boards, at least). I'm finding myself in downtown Cary more and more often these days - taking a fun class at the Arts Center right now, and have already signed up for another in April. The area is really shaping up to be quite nice. I haven't given in to the temptation of Annelore's bakery yet though - holding strong!

And commuting from Carrboro to New Hill? "Ugh" is about all I can say to that.
You'd look at a map and think "ugh" understandably....but driving it is very different.

My parents live in Apex and when I lived near downtown Carrboro off Smith Level Road; I could go door to door from my apartment to my mom's driveway near dt Apex in 26 minutes. And it's actually a relatively pleasant drive.

Culbreth Road turns into Mt Carmel Church, which turns to Farrington and it's a straight shot from about a mile south of DT Carrboro to HWY 64 a few miles from the Wake/Chatham Line...not far from New Hill. Not much in the way of traffic; rural rolling hills and forests, cross over Jordan Lake twice. Not too bad!

Again though if OP would be commuting to Shaeron Harris (which is the only place I can think of in "New Hill" that would have employment)....that's more of a hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary