Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 07:10 PM

420 posts, read 452,037 times

Advertisements

I have already searched old threads on this but am wondering if there may be new or addt’l info you all may have.

I worked as a clinical social worker in NY for many years but do other work now. However, once a clinician, always a clinician. I say that because I help where and when I can. For example, I recognized my neighbors middle child had aspergers but she couldn’t see it. I coached her along until I sensed she was ready to hear my observations. she finally had him assessed and is currently being helped with all kinds of services.
(He was seen by a psychologist).

Same neighbor has 20 yr old daughter. Long story short she has dropped out of 3 schools in past two years.
She has seen psychologists and been medicated. Mom has been told she has some depression and some anxiety. Girl is quiet and not too friendly and very hard for me to read. Mom is at her wits end. She needs a psychiatric eval to at least help her understand what is going on with this child and how to best help her. She is very bright but has never held a job and doesn’t seem motivated at all. She is also immature for her 20years. I think I see some ADD...inattentive type because she is very unorganized and her executive functioning seems underdeveloped.

I have reached out to NY contacts to ask if they know anyone at Duke or UNC to no avail.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
You might try this practice:

West Cary Psychiatry - Home

Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Dr Sarah Bryce, Durham.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:40 AM

70 posts, read 59,690 times
Dr Candace Werder in Cary (might be a Raleigh address, it's right on the border)

She's fantastic.

As for your friend's daughter - perhaps high functioning autism? It seems every girl I know with an HFA diagnosis, was first diagnosed with ADD-I. It just presents so differently in girls.

Shy, a little awkward, organizational issues, high intellect, school is unbearable?

Public school is a sensory hell for a good portion of kids on the spectrum. The overload of stimuli can look like inattentiveness, but really they are trying to turn the volume down on sensory input.

Good luck for you and your friend's family.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
Dr Candace Werder in Cary (might be a Raleigh address, it's right on the border)

She's fantastic.

As for your friend's daughter - perhaps high functioning autism? It seems every girl I know with an HFA diagnosis, was first diagnosed with ADD-I. It just presents so differently in girls.

Shy, a little awkward, organizational issues, high intellect, school is unbearable?

Public school is a sensory hell for a good portion of kids on the spectrum. The overload of stimuli can look like inattentiveness, but really they are trying to turn the volume down on sensory input.

Good luck for you and your friend's family.
Freefolk, thank you. You are so right on with all you say and your assessment of the child may be correct...Mom has ADD and some OCD, brother on spectrum...

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM

569 posts, read 440,247 times
My husband uses this practice with good results. He also goes to a separate therapist for counseling who does not prescribe drugs. Gupta Psychiatry

Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM

I am so appreciative. Thank you all so much. It is good to have a few recommendations to offer this distraught woman.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM

168 posts, read 267,738 times
Don't know where you are located, but our family has experience with Cary Behavioral Health at Maynard and Harrison and we have been helped a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary