Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:24 PM

74 posts, read 183,846 times

Advertisements

We are closing on our new home next week. We will do a walk thru the morning of the closing. We assumes that we were doing this with the house vacant. Evidently our seller's mover cannot come until 1 pm, after the closing. I smell something fishy. Does anyone know the law on this? What if after the closing, her movers damage something removing her things? What recourse do we have then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
I thought that as of the closing the house is yours. Did you agree to let her leave her stuff? Are you charging her rent? I know it sounds silly, but it sounds like she is taking advantage of you.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:01 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Personally, I wouldn't close until she is out of the house. What if she says her movers can't come for another week? Could be a major mess.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Usually in Wake County, the sellers move out before closing. Buyers and their agent do a final walk through right before closing, while the house is empty. Then they head over to closing, since they know the house is in the same shape as they expected.

There is a document to protect the buyers if they have agreed to allow the sellers to remain there after closing but it sounds like the sellers' movers are running late and they did not plan accordingly.

Keep in mind, once you close, the house is yours. Perhaps the best idea is to move closing to the next day, based on what you are telling us.

Vicki

Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,814 times
Default NC RE question-

Hmmm, I'm young and not really experienced (wife and I just bought only our second house north of Durham, having just sold our first-ever home in FL), but I would think that you/your realtor might move the closing to the next day, or move it back a few days to let the seller properly move out. I have never heard of closing before the seller has moved out. Sounds very weird to me.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Misunderstandings regarding items to be left by the seller as well as damage can occur.

Delay the closing.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times
Try to delay it to just that afternoon if possible.... but if the movers get there at 1 PM and there is a lot of items it might take them all day. Just ask for a 1 day extension, as long as your rate lock is okay with the lender I do not see why all the parties would be opposed to a 1 day delay under those circumstances.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM

74 posts, read 183,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Usually in Wake County, the sellers move out before closing. Buyers and their agent do a final walk through right before closing, while the house is empty. Then they head over to closing, since they know the house is in the same shape as they expected.

There is a document to protect the buyers if they have agreed to allow the sellers to remain there after closing but it sounds like the sellers' movers are running late and they did not plan accordingly.

Keep in mind, once you close, the house is yours. Perhaps the best idea is to move closing to the next day, based on what you are telling us.

Vicki
We had already agreed to moving the closing to another day but she needs the money by the end of the month for the house she is buying. She wants her cake and eat it too evidently. I'm only concerned that if anything should happen with her movers doing damage or with her not being able to leave, that we will have no recourse. Don't we by law take posssession at the closing?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrl View Post
We had already agreed to moving the closing to another day but she needs the money by the end of the month for the house she is buying. She wants her cake and eat it too evidently. I'm only concerned that if anything should happen with her movers doing damage or with her not being able to leave, that we will have no recourse. Don't we by law take posssession at the closing?
Sounds like you hold the cards. Personally, I would delay the closing a day. If the seller wants to close on the original date then she/he should either get her/his mover there before the closing day... OR the seller can have her belonging temporarily moved to into storeage prior to closing. And then her movers can pick her stuff up from storage.

As a buyer I see no advantage to you doing the walk through with her stuff there. The movers could damage something or the movers could put something on the truck that was suppose to stay with the house... like an appliance.

Our second home we purchased (it was a FSBO.... will NEVER do that again).... the sellers were not out by closing. We were nice and gave them extra time. They trashed the carpet and dinged the walls in several places (a very heavy treadmill gashed the wall on the stairs). If we had seen this prior to closing we would have asked that the carpets be cleaned to the level that they were when we saw the house and that the ways be repaired. They also did not fix the items that we asked to be addressed in the home inspection. But since we did not get a walk thru until after closing we had no recourse. Never again will I make that mistake.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrl View Post
Perhaps you can close on schedule, before the sellers move out, but have the attorney hold money in escrow with a letter stating that you will inspect the home once the sellers have moved out and will refund all monies to the sellers as long as the home is ready for you to move in. I've done this before and attorneys know how to word it and how to put in time limits with "time is of the essence".

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary