Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 AM

187 posts, read 226,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
OP is from NJ; they likely have a car and are use to driving.

Rent down here is substantially better than northern NJ. Unless OP is from the backwoods parts of NJ, they'll find rent down here to be cheaper despite the recent increase.
Yes I have a car. Raleigh apartments were higher priced than I expected (for southeast) and the nursing salary is lower than other southeastern major cities such as some in GA and even SC, which surprised me too but every time I've explored another city to move to, I've always just wanted Raleigh. I guess if I wanted to be smart I'd try to save money in a city that pays more. I'll be living with my mom instead of my own apartment (Even though I wanted my own) so I'll save money that way, and I also want to become a nurse practitioner, which has a much higher salary, and in NC the NP salary is competitive when compared with other cities/states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"It's a long drive for me"...what is a long drive ? My wife has driven up to 130 miles round trip during her long nursing career, others commute from the east coast to the west coast for the right nursing opportunity. Regarding your current opportunity...everyone is better off having a current resume with recent work activity to present to a prospective employer. Get some experience, then try Travel Nursing to explore the options for your ideal place to live/work.

Regards
Gemstone1
I appreciate your advice! It's a hard choice to make.

I've asked nurses about travel nursing pros and cons. It might be something in my future. Need at least 2 years experience first.

Maybe I'll go ahead and apply to some hospitals in the Triangle and see if I even can get hired. I saw Duke has a residency program for new grads, not sure about Wakemed or Rex. Maybe I'll get lucky and if not it will help my decision anyway.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Does this area meet your needs?

Almost no public transit.

Rents rising a lot.

Overcrowded schools.

Unless you just want some experience under your belt, be sure this area fits your needs.
Does this area meet my needs? I like the parks/green spaces in the triangle very much. I like the laid back lifestyle but still within a thriving city, and how it is safe. I like how it's in the middle between NJ and FL because I would like to travel to both, also like how it's in the middle of mountains and the ocean. For career needs, I mean I'm not sure, I know salary is less but so is cost of living.. I've had nursing experience as an extern on a medical surgical floor and pediatric emergency department and loved both, I loved all the areas I've had clinicals in so I'm not picky about what unit I work on. Right now I'm an aid on a bariatric surgery floor and love the patient population there too.

I'll be "going" to an online school for my master's but when I visited Duke University and University of NC at Chapel Hill, I loved being around all the people.

I'm a pretty easy going person...there isn't much more that I feel that I need besides wanting to enjoy the outdoors and have a nursing job. And being in a city with a lot of activities.

I have looked at other areas like Orlando, Greenville SC, Richmond, Frederick and Rockville MD, DC, Charlottesville VA, West Chester PA, Augusta, Athens...they're all nice. Everywhere will have pros and cons for anyone I think. I liked Raleigh the best.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
"Is it yall or ya'll or y'all?"

yall is possessive (you mean it and know how to use it).
ya'll is not a real word (not around here, anyway).
y'all is informal of yall (generic greeting).

and, as always, y'all's mileage may vary.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
! Is it yall or ya'll or y'all?
Please refer to my post in another thread. I swear, we need to make this a sticky. So much "y'all abuse."

//www.city-data.com/forum/51033280-post279.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary