Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM

10 posts, read 6,937 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am sure the "I want to move to Raleigh/Durham" thread has been done a million times so please forgive me in advance!

My husband and I are considering relocating from Central Oregon. I am originally from the UK so we'd like to be within closer reach of my family and friends, and we also feel that whilst where we live is growing, there just isn't enough opportunities here coupled with very expensive house prices.

We are flying to RDU in two weeks to explore and my question is, what areas should we focus on? My husband works for the government (currently child protective services although he'd ideally like to be in a different sector) and I have experience in both therapeutic residential programs, as well as community relations/HR.

We are mid-late 20's, and have two dogs so would want a decent size fenced yard, love to hike, love breweries, we are real foodies, but are beyond the clubbing and bar hopping stage of our lives. We hope to have our first child in the next five years.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 01:30 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
You do not want to work for the state of NC.

Low pay. Lousy health plan.

Boomtown in progress raising rents and home prices.

If you can find a decent job, come on down and check the area.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 6,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
You do not want to work for the state of NC.

Low pay. Lousy health plan.

Boomtown in progress raising rents and home prices.

If you can find a decent job, come on down and check the area.

Good to know, thank you. How about jobs with the various counties?

Old 02-18-2018, 01:42 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
All areas have equivalent mod cons. Best advice is to live in proximity to your work. So you need to figure out where you will work And live within a reasonable commute to that

Old 02-18-2018, 01:45 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Regarding jobs we are called “the triangle” with two urban cores a college town and an office park center called RTP. There are literally jobs all over but in an old fashioned sense people worked in RTP but the downtowns are booming

So I dunno U figure it out lol

One last thing you are late to punch bowl for cheap housing

Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
I would also warn that aren’t very many direct or moderately priced flights to Europe from RDU.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
There are daily direct flights to London and Paris from RDU, but they are expensive. Might be cheaper than flying from Bend, though.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
I relocated from Oregon myself. Lots of hiking, biking and outdoor opportunities in the triangle. I just finished my weekly run on the trails at Umstead. It was packed with hikers. Recently, there has been lots of breweries opening here as well. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
All areas have equivalent mod cons. Best advice is to live in proximity to your work. So you need to figure out where you will work And live within a reasonable commute to that
I disagree. Jobs come and go. Since you're planning on having kids in the next 5 years, I'd definitely take schools into consideration.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:08 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
You will like it here. Asheville, NC reminds me of Bend in many ways in spirit at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary