Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Google search "82 Greenleaf Rd, Bluffton, SC" as an example of the style and level of finishing we're targeting. I suppose that's "magazine worthy" (architect's words, not mine)??
I like that house a lot - not 500/sf a lot though

I'd definitely meet with one or two more builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:22 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
Quote:
Google search "82 Greenleaf Rd, Bluffton, SC" as an example of the style and level of finishing we're targeting. I suppose that's "magazine worthy" (architect's words, not mine)??
I would just make sure that you're considering the finish levels and materials that you're after.

The pictures of that house show a bunch of VERY expensive options:

1 - Metal Roof. Holy moly these things are expensive.
2 - Shiplap walls throughout.
3 - The kitchen. That's an insanely expensive kitchen.
4 - All of the stone.
5 - High-End doors and windows.
6 - And that is just my quick glance.
7 - Heart Pine floors.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Definitely nice-looking! Metal roof is a good long-term structural upgrade to make the house last for generations. All the inside work-not sure that makes any difference. High-end windows will need less replacement intervals. I've heard from neighbors that constructions costs are really high here, even for "empty boxes."

Kudos to you for not entirely caring about numbers (square feet). All anybody cares about in west Cary and the new North Raleigh is the square feet numbers.

I don't see a single painted drywall on that house address you sent, it's all shiplap! Have you been watching too much Fixer Upper on HGTV?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I would just make sure that you're considering the finish levels and materials that you're after.

2 - Shiplap walls throughout.
3 - The kitchen. That's an insanely expensive kitchen.
4 - All of the stone.
5 - High-End doors and windows.
6 - And that is just my quick glance.
7 - Heart Pine floors.
And somehow that house sold at $421/sq ft (including land) last year in a hopping vacation/resort destination market. Tax records show the land value of $325k meaning the building itself priced at $332/sq ft. Unless it's that much cheaper to buy than to build, or costs are much higher in the Triangle, something doesn't quite add up here.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The only way you will know if the first estimate is on the mark is if you get a couple more estimates.

The builder you got the first estimate from may use the most expensive windows he can find. He may use only the finest quality materials. Another builder may use less expensive materials. You have to compare oranges to oranges.

One of my buyers and I sat down with a builder once to determine the cost of building a home that she had the floor plans for. However, she didn't want to finish the 2nd floor. Builder told her the house would end up costing $300 per square foot and it wouldn't appraise. So, my buyer decided to have the builder finish part of the 2nd floor to increase the square footage; however, he didn't want to pay more so he and the builder decided how much of the 2nd floor to finish to bring the dollar per square footage down to a more reasonable price. Builder finished it with the least expensive carpet and finishes he could.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
The shiplap and paneling alone must be at least 200k.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post

They are not always. We just had one put on a couple of years ago and it was not that much more than asphalt shingles would have been. It was about $8000.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They are not always. We just had one put on a couple of years ago and it was not that much more than asphalt shingles would have been. It was about $8000.
Lucky. I love a metal roof.

We have one on our porch, but the rest of the house is asphalt shingles.

I can hear the rain on the porch from my home office. It's really nice.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Of the $2.5 million, about $100k of that is foundation and $100k is roof. Grading is only $9k (lot is practically flat). $650k is interior millwork. $750k for the exterior shell. Those latter two numbers are where we're getting killed.
750K for the exterior shell? Are they sure that they didn't accidentally move a decimal point to right?
Of course, I jest. That said, 3/4 million sounds ridiculous. Hardiplank isn't THAT expensive. Look into what sort of windows and doors your architect specified. That's probably where the huge dollars are going. The VERY best is going to cost you a pretty penny. You might want to value engineer some of your decisions without compromising performance. You can also have your architect look at reducing the amount of custom sized windows and doors. Those too will set you back a lot of dough.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
Quote:
And somehow that house sold at $421/sq ft (including land) last year in a hopping vacation/resort destination market. Tax records show the land value of $325k meaning the building itself priced at $332/sq ft. Unless it's that much cheaper to buy than to build, or costs are much higher in the Triangle, something doesn't quite add up here.
Yeah I mean, I'm not intimately familiar with the details. Just sayin'.

I stick to my opinion that the builder didn't want the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary