Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 AM

80 posts, read 79,563 times

Advertisements

I've heard that snakes are more numerous near the larger lakes around here and I know they do like rocky areas near water so that may be true.

We used to live near Falls Lake and one day after parking in the driveway my dh opened his door, stepped out and let out a blood-curdling yowee!!! He had just come close to stepping on a large copperhead which was understandably alarmed and starting to strike.

Now I'm not fond of snakes mind you, but if a snake is non-poisonous, and most are, we leave it be as they prey on rodents which I like even less.

I found this link "Snake Myths and Facts" a fascinating read this morning:

Snake Myths and Facts

I'm just glad we're not in South Florida where they are battling Burmese pythons, the largest of which seen was over 16 feet long. They now number well over 30,000 with some estimates going much, much higher. When we lived there we never saw one thankfully, but we did spot an interesting 4 foot long iguana happily sunning himself on our lawn near the canal. This past winter when the temperatures dipped below 40 degrees the poor creatures were freezing and falling out of trees.

Whenever I get the creepy-crawlies thinking about our snakes in the Raleigh area, all I have to do is remember those days back in Florida....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Our wedding anniversary is next week. I don't need a calendar to remind me. The sneezing and wheezing does the trick!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
I saw a small snake on my street the other day too. Thank God the warmer weather is coming back.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Is pollen bothering you twingles? I got a bad headache last night and woke up with it this morning I'm wondering if it's pollen or something else. Pollen doesn't usually bother me, but every now and then it gets to me.
This year has been terrible for me, not my sinuses but my eyes. i had terrible allergies as a kid, outgrew them, moved here, they were terrible for a year or two, and now this year has been bad.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
I've heard that snakes are more numerous near the larger lakes around here and I know they do like rocky areas near water so that may be true.

We used to live near Falls Lake and one day after parking in the driveway my dh opened his door, stepped out and let out a blood-curdling yowee!!! He had just come close to stepping on a large copperhead which was understandably alarmed and starting to strike.

Now I'm not fond of snakes mind you, but if a snake is non-poisonous, and most are, we leave it be as they prey on rodents which I like even less.

Snake Myths and Facts

I'm just glad we're not in South Florida where they are battling Burmese pythons, the largest of which seen was over 16 feet long. They now number well over 30,000 with some estimates going much, much higher. When we lived there we never saw one thankfully, but we did spot an interesting 4 foot long iguana happily sunning himself on our lawn near the canal. This past winter when the temperatures dipped below 40 degrees the poor creatures were freezing and falling out of trees.

Whenever I get the creepy-crawlies thinking about our snakes in the Raleigh area, all I have to do is remember those days back in Florida....
Snake facts

Did you know you can eat any snake? Even the poisonous ones?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:43 PM

80 posts, read 79,563 times
Oh YUM!!! Good to know as my grocery bill keeps going up....

Filet of Snake Almondine

Slice snake in half lengthwise, remove whatever you see (could be a possum, rat, or other varmint), then fill with toasted almonds, close back up and top with orange marmalade.

Bon appetite!

(I think I just lost my appetite for dinner tonight....)

Tonight I may be attacked en masse by the local Copperheads near my creek out back so if you don't see me here tomorrow, you'll know what happened.

Btw that's humor for those in Rio Linda! As in silly. A joke. Laughter, uh you know that thing the world has so little of lately.

KC O'Day type humor, okay?

Actually I respect all God's creatures and especially snakes. Will leave snakes on the menu up to you, Taxpayer. . Hope this thread doesn't scare anyone considering moving to our area away....actually we don't have poisonous snakes here at all. What happened is most of the people from Maine moved here and since they don't have poisonous snakes up there, we now don't have any here. Huzzah to our Mainelanders!

And no, I'm not implying that Mainelanders all eat snakes!!! Sheesh! Before someone jumps in saying they're offended....chill peeps!

Last edited by KitKat45; 02-21-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 03:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Snake facts

Did you know you can eat any snake? Even the poisonous ones?
Did you know a Copperhead could deliver enough venom to easily kill you? If he were planning to eat you he would

Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Light coating of pollen on the car Saturday morning.
I already need to worry about pollen? We'll probably get a full week of warm above 75 degree temps. But I thought I was enjoying the opening windows for fresh warm air to fill the house.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:30 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I already need to worry about pollen? We'll probably get a full week of warm above 75 degree temps. But I thought I was enjoying the opening windows for fresh warm air to fill the house.
That was down here in Brunswick Co. but it was very light. I haven't seen any since then. My windows will be open for the rest of the week.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:38 PM

626 posts, read 625,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post

Snake Myths and Facts

It's not just the Burmese pythons that are down there they are just the most visual because they are out of the water a lot more than other invasive snakes. There are Anacondas down there as well and they have far less predators than the Burmese because they primarily stay in the water most of the time.
Green anacondas in the Everglades: The largest snake in the world has invaded the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary