Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 AM

678 posts, read 738,198 times

Advertisements

McMansions are the Walmarts of houses, big and ugly, with no taste

Apparently these people didn't like the smaller ranch-style homes they grew up in as kids, so they buy up those monstrosities

McMansions are like those huge gas guzzling SUV's some people buy, which they have no real use for, but like the look and the views provided
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
To me it's a mass produced house in a neighborhood of mass produced houses where they all look the same and are usually not in keeping with local housing stock styles. HOWEVER, they can also be a stand alone house that is also out of keeping with the neighborhood, saw a lot of that in NY. There was one down the street from me....it actually wasn't particularly big, but it threw in every architectural and design detail you can think of. I mean, every.single.one - inside and out (house had about 40 square feet of usable property outside the house and they still managed a trellis, arbor, topiary-styled trees, etc etc). It gave one a headache just to look at it.

Jealousy is a tired old argument for anyone who doesn't agree with the keeping up with the Joneses mentality. In this case, it really makes no sense, because there are plenty of cheap/inexpensive McMansion neighborhoods in this world. It also begs the question, just because something costs "x" number of dollars, does that mean it's really worth it? The next RE crash is going to put the hurt on some areas of the Triangle, big time. $500K for a Pulte house? Let's see how that goes.

As Sheena said, a "used" McMansion has little charm to subsequent would-be owners.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I see a lot of hate about McMansion's but why?
It's not about hate... it's about dismissive ridicule for pretending to be something they aren't
and then failing on most objective measures. Very similar to when USA Today was being called McPaper.

Quote:
Is a Mcmansion just code for 'any house bigger than mine' ?
Nope.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:25 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
People who call out "McMansions" are usually people who can't afford them. I see this a lot in the west Cary area. For example, if you want 3800 square feet or higher in the west Cary area (west of highway 55, along Green Level Church Road), then you are looking at a STARTING price of 550-600k and after you add in options for a new house or if it's a resale with other features, then it's a higher price than that. People who can't afford that like to call them "McMansions" to put other people down.

Buy what you like and what you can afford - you only live once in this world.
Coincidentally, I was riding bikes with a buddy, in West Cary in the area you mention, and we had a discussion about McMansions. He had listened to some podcast (he's an avid podcast guy) about McMansions, and was noticing some of the things they said. I didn't hear it, but I think they focused a lot on the cheap construction and things like the many mis-matched windows on the house, and the multiple, and unnecessary roof lines. One of the points he said they made is it was much about people trying to get the most square footage (eg: "prestige") they could, out of their dollars, with less focus on quality or actual utility and livable space. As we rode around and looked at houses and talked about it, it made a lot of sense.

Ironically, the conclusion of our observation was that people who LIVE IN McMansions are usually the people who can't afford them.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:15 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
It is so easy, and so superficial, to judge people for their personal choices.
When doing so, does the judge/jury make convenient assumptions, or perhaps ponder questions such as:

Is it multi-generational housing? Not everyone pushes ma and pa into a warehouse as soon as it is convenient.
Do family members from overseas visit for extended periods of time, for months at a time?
Do one or more family members work from home and need quiet, privacy, and confidentiality for their work?
Do family members have desire or responsibility for hosting private or business gatherings, family reunions, or festival or cultural or religious gatherings, or other groups?
Is there an in-home business such as child care?

People get qualified to buy a house, and seek housing that fits their needs. I.e., I see plenty of houses that people can afford, that could be criticized, perhaps even ridiculed, by those who get their jollies with that pastime.
I see plenty of houses at all price points that are poorly maintained, and I know that sometimes, often, it is a lack of knowledge or will rather than lack of finance.
People buy houses that I may not want. I see it all the time. At all prices, all sizes.
Like they say in Detroit: "There's an ass for every seat."

And, their choices really are none of my business. Not even as a hobby, gossip, or to ridicule publicly like the snotty blogger does.
I have more concern about aggressive gentrification and deforestation and loss of open space.
Those concerns may well be my business.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is so easy, and so superficial, to judge people for their personal choices.
When doing so, does the judge/jury make convenient assumptions, or perhaps ponder questions such as:

Is it multi-generational housing? Not everyone pushes ma and pa into a warehouse as soon as it is convenient.
Do family members from overseas visit for extended periods of time, for months at a time?
Do one or more family members work from home and need quiet, privacy, and confidentiality for their work?
Do family members have desire or responsibility for hosting private or business gatherings, family reunions, or festival or cultural or religious gatherings, or other groups?
Is there an in-home business such as child care?

People get qualified to buy a house, and seek housing that fits their needs. I.e., I see plenty of houses that people can afford, that could be criticized, perhaps even ridiculed, by those who get their jollies with that pastime.
I see plenty of houses at all price points that are poorly maintained, and I know that sometimes, often, it is a lack of knowledge or will rather than lack of finance.
People buy houses that I may not want. I see it all the time. At all prices, all sizes.
Like they say in Detroit: "There's an ass for every seat."

And, their choices really are none of my business. Not even as a hobby, gossip, or to ridicule publicly like the snotty blogger does.
I have more concern about aggressive gentrification and deforestation and loss of open space.
Those concerns may well be my business.
Or, there are people who see something on HGTV and decide they have to have it because their friends don't. Lets not act like a lot of people don't move to the Triangle just to get that fancy new house with granite and open concept and "space to entertain" with "nice spaces" that they couldn't get elsewhere. Sure, that's their choice, but I don't agree with that sort of superficiality, and I don't have to.

Not saying there aren't people with a legitimate need for these houses, but I think it's crazy to think that's the norm. People had those same needs in the 1950's when 1200-1800 square foot houses were the norm.

It's pretty amazing what HGTV has done to the housing industry. Just crazy.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Or, there are people who see something on HGTV and decide they have to have it because their friends don't. Lets not act like a lot of people don't move to the Triangle just to get that fancy new house with granite and open concept and "space to entertain" with "nice spaces" that they couldn't get elsewhere. Sure, that's their choice, but I don't agree with that sort of superficiality, and I don't have to.

Not saying there aren't people with a legitimate need for these houses, but I think it's crazy to think that's the norm. People had those same needs in the 1950's when 1200-1800 square foot houses were the norm.

It's pretty amazing what HGTV has done to the housing industry. Just crazy.
Granite is very close to the same price as Formica.
Why is granite judged?

Sure you don't have to "agree" with choices.
I often don't.
But, "class" and "manners" would encourage you to not write a snotty blog with photos of peoples' homes held out for ridicule.

Norms change over time.
3800SF is not uncommon, but not the median, and not "The Norm."

Go to West Cary and buy 1800SF. It is out there all day, every day, and I would not criticize that choice, or ridicule you publicly.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
This has been an interesting discussion. Funny how no one can really agree what a common word means.

I still feel there are whiffs of classism and anti suburban sentiment in the McMansion label

Someone said it’s the Walmart of houses “cheap and mass produced”. I mean so is everyone expected to buy some sort of artisan house? If this is the best house a family can afford for maximum benefit to them. Why judge it?

I guess I’m saying I’ve never heard of a single person living in these houses so my question is “what kind of house should a family live in”. Do we all have to live in ranchers? Is that the acceptable house? Apartments?

Is it about the features? I can think of small houses with stupid roof lines.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Granite is very close to the same price as Formica.
Why is granite judged?

Go to West Cary and buy 1800SF. It is out there all day, every day, and I would not criticize that choice, or ridicule you publicly.

Granite didn't used to be priced the way it is now. Now people have moved on to the next countertop of the week - what is it quartz? Soon granite will be shunned like formica. Fads happen all the time, but when you're talking about a fad that costs you thousands and thousands of dollars to keep up with, that's craziness. Especially when you rip out a perfectly functional kitchen just to keep up with the joneses.

You and I both know that 1800/sf single fam in W. Cary is not an easy feat.

Under 2000 in 27519: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...me/sqft-0-2000

...take out the Carolina Preserve and Courtyard at O'Kelly listings and you're not left with many. One that's not contingent, to be exact.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
A 3000k house would be about enough space for a

Kitchen
Den
Living room
Master bed room
2 kids room
A guest room
A bonus room/space

Seems reasonable to me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary