Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think you guys are missing the joke.

What's the problem. If you google 'sidig' you get 'siding'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
What's the problem. If you google 'sidig' you get 'siding'.
No problem. Its just not a serious qustion...I mean, question.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think you guys are missing the joke.
To be fair the picture was horrendous...how do you screw up a phone picture these days?!? Lol

Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
To be fair the picture was horrendous...how do you screw up a phone picture these days?!? Lol
Mayb they wer drivig bye two fast?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Related to this topic, how do these single contractors have every single item for house repair/renovation listed on their truck? For example, on I-40 near Harrison this morning, I saw an old rusted Ford Ranger that looked like it had been in an accident, 2 tires were probably low on air, cracked windshield, with ladder racks, and on the door panel was every single house item listed - Roof shingles, vinyl AND Hardiplank sidig, wood floors, subfloor repair, carpets, built-ins, electrical, plumbing, etc and the list went on. Can these guys really do everything on your house maintenance or repair list?

I'm pretty sure these guys have their 1 truck and not part of a larger fleet of trucks. On top of that, their vehicles are definitely not "work trucks" -sometimes they are very old trucks, or cargo vans or even minivans that I wonder how they are still running.

I'm guessing that due to the large number of house construction, renovations and people moving here guarantees that these guys have enough work.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:05 PM

188 posts, read 151,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
Do you think they give a discout?
Advertising ain't cheap, those marketing weasels charge by the letter ya know. He's passing the savings onto the customer.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I'm guessing that due to the large number of house construction, renovations and people moving here guarantees that these guys have enough work.
It's a good time to be a contractor, bad time to own a house in need of updating:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.21b42cc8734b

I also found this interesting:

https://www.proremodeler.com/boom-to...69&bid=1897620

I'm definitely waiting until the next downturn before getting my master bath redone.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
A lot of the vinyl burns if ignited by things like a cigarette. Aluminum siding costs much more if you can even obtain it. Hardiplank is a good idea.

We had vinyl in New Orleans made by a major manufacturer. It was replaced under warranty when it bubbled from the heat and sun.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Related to this topic, how do these single contractors have every single item for house repair/renovation listed on their truck? For example, on I-40 near Harrison this morning, I saw an old rusted Ford Ranger that looked like it had been in an accident, 2 tires were probably low on air, cracked windshield, with ladder racks, and on the door panel was every single house item listed - Roof shingles, vinyl AND Hardiplank sidig, wood floors, subfloor repair, carpets, built-ins, electrical, plumbing, etc and the list went on. Can these guys really do everything on your house maintenance or repair list?

I'm pretty sure these guys have their 1 truck and not part of a larger fleet of trucks. On top of that, their vehicles are definitely not "work trucks" -sometimes they are very old trucks, or cargo vans or even minivans that I wonder how they are still running.

It’s possible, though that would be a whole lot of licensing to be dealing with every year. The plumbing and electrical have no lower limit for licensing if you do them as a business. General contracting is any one project under $30k. Maybe it’s a few people, each with a specialty or it’s really just a GC who subs stuff out. Could also just be a shady dude who doesn’t get permits and does the work anyway.

Along those lines, I always think it’s funny when you get behind a truck that says they specialize in drywall, painting, ceramic tile, wood flooring, carpet, interior trim and decks. Maybe they need to check the dictionary there!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM

188 posts, read 151,658 times
Quote:
.... on I-40 near Harrison this morning, I saw an old rusted Ford Ranger that looked like it had been in an accident, 2 tires were probably low on air, cracked windshield, with ladder racks, and on the door panel was every single house item listed - Roof shingles, vinyl AND Hardiplank sidig, wood floors, subfloor repair, carpets, built-ins, electrical, plumbing, etc and the list went on. Can these guys really do everything on your house maintenance or repair list?
I once got a quote on a major exterior construction project from a local company that has a stellar reputation. Neighbors had been very happy with their work, online reviews (google, angieslist, etc.) reflect lots of happy customers, no BBB issues.

But a little further research revealed two recent DWIs by the company owner (guy who I met with for the quote), and when I looked up his residence using a combination of tax records and google maps, the exterior of his home was badly neglected even though he had lived in it for quite some time (not like he just bought it expecting to flip it or anything).

If someone can't take care of their own stuff, they aren't touching mine. The project went to someone else of course.

I figured out the guy was very popular via word of mouth because of his exemplary people skills, but how friendly someone is or how charismatic really means nothing to me, I don't need a new drinking buddy. I want to do business with responsible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: