Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:33 PM

13,635 posts, read 12,266,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I was recently in Raleigh doing some pre-move stuff (we're relocating back to the area from California). At around midnight on a Friday I was famished and decided to swing by the Cook Out on Western Blvd. to grab a bite to eat. It wasn't a game night or anything. The entire area was rife with a bunch of white college dudes riding around in the back of pickup trucks acting stupid/rowdy. When I pulled up to a light, some guys, unprovoked, started yelling ethnic epithets at me.

We're moving back to the area to raise our family. This sort of behavior just doesn't happen where I currently live. Sure, college students party everywhere, but where I live they tend to keep in on campus and certainly aren't going out into adjacent areas and offending the community at large. From what I remember of the Triangle, it's not anything like the rural South, and I took NC State to be a respectable academic institution where you wouldn't see this sort of yokel attitude.
NC State has a lot of kids from rural NC. And, it has a large Agriculture program. I can't say that that particular brand of rowdiness is all that surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Farm school ? Drawing from small towns?

That is absurd...

All college campuses have drunk kids not far out of high school.
Go down to Franklin St after a big UNC game..
It isn't. NCSU has a large Ag program. And, it draws kids from all over the state (obviously.) Purdue is different than Indiana University. Iowa State is different than U of Iowa. NC State is different than UNC. UT is different than Texas A&M.

You will have a different set of attitudes, and corresponding behavior, from one type of school to another. Now, most college students are going to be ridiculous and insufferable in one way or another. Whether they're acting like kids in a bad Country Music song or are acting like the "millennial's" of Media/Babyboomer stereotypes is another discussion.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Well a snap response is state is easier to get into
Depends. Engineering is hardly a cakewalk.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:46 PM

OP,

I do not think this is indicative of what you could expect in this area on a regular basis, at all. I'm sorry this happened to you.

And, for the record, you do not need to be a "kid from a rural area" to be a racist or a jerk. My kids all attended Green Hope (one kid still does), arguably the best public, non charter high school in Wake County, nestled in the middle of wealthy suburbia here in Cary, and my daughter hears "nice guys from wealthy families who play sports and the like" make racist comments on a somewhat regular basis. Though, not at all constantly. And... most of these young men are NOT natives of the area.

They are kids and their brains are still forming. It's not cool that they do this, but it happens sometimes. Add alcohol and weekend partying to the mix and you get stuff like what happened to you... sometimes. It is NOT the norm, though.

I would not cross the area off your list for that reason, but maybe cross the Western Boulevard/Hillsborough Street corridor off your list for late-night weekend hanging out.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,952,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Depends. Engineering is hardly a cakewalk.
This isn't relevant to UG admissions discussion. I don't think goggles of engineering students are drunk at cookout hurling epithets

Old 02-26-2018, 02:55 PM

Also state fans are the worst am I rite?

Old 02-26-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
This isn't relevant to UG admissions discussion. I don't think goggles of engineering students are drunk at cookout hurling epithets
I am pretty sure there are engineering students who drink and who go to Cookout.

I have known a few myself.

My point is that you cannot pretend that it "being harder" to get into UNC vs NCSU will give you better student behavior when students are drinking and partying near campus.

It won't.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Also state fans are the worst am I rite?
Nope.

"Fans" of any sport can act like idiots... and often do.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 PM

7,177 posts, read 6,734,987 times
Quote:
And, for the record, you do not need to be a "kid from a rural area" to be a racist or a jerk.
Exactly. Stupidity knows no bounds.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure there are engineering students who drink and who go to Cookout.

I have known a few myself.

My point is that you cannot pretend that it "being harder" to get into UNC vs NCSU will give you better student behavior when students are drinking and partying near campus.

It won't.
actually i think in a average or social scientific perspective it does

Compare say the under grad population of harvard to Ohio state. OSU unquestionably has a wilder reputation.
\

Sure partying and drinking students all act the same but one side may hap party and drink more often or be engaged in more non academic pursuits. Statu

An anecdote doesn't defeat a generalization there are always exceptions to the rule. if you think generally kids plopped in raleigh from their small town bubble don't have some different views from kids that grew up here you're simply mis-informed.

NC state acceptance rate 43%
UNC acceptance rate 28%

If you can't acknowledge that means they accept lower quality students who are more prone to do stupid stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i dunno doesnt matter to me

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
actually i think in a average or social scientific perspective it does

Compare say the under grad population of harvard to Ohio state. OSU unquestionably has a wilder reputation.
\

Sure partying and drinking students all act the same but one side may hap party and drink more often or be engaged in more non academic pursuits. Statu

An anecdote doesn't defeat a generalization there are always exceptions to the rule. if you think generally kids plopped in raleigh from their small town bubble don't have some different views from kids that grew up here you're simply mis-informed.

NC state acceptance rate 43%
UNC acceptance rate 28%

If you can't acknowledge that means they accept lower quality students who are more prone to do stupid stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i dunno doesnt matter to me
I think that the perception that people who can get into a "tougher" school to get into (UNC gets more applicants, which adds to the "tough" part) do not party, do drugs, or get into trouble and I point you to Franklin Street after a tournament win and I ask you... seriously???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary