Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:59 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
There will most certainly be a time in America's future where citizens will need to take up arms - either due to an external or internal threat.
That is far from a certainty, imo.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:11 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think it depends on where you live. In a major city? Yep. Compare city dwellers views to those in the country and it will be vastly different.

One isn't right or wrong. People have different expectations and ways of life when police are 5 mins away vs 5 hours, and shop in the grocery store or off their land.
I think it's also in the way things are explained - for example, people on one side might have a completely distorted perception of what the other side wants and they view any proposal from them as through that lens. Though if you take out the bias and explain the idea outside of that, they might agree with bits and pieces of it unknowingly.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Some people would say that makes you hysterical. Thats not a very useful label to toss around.
I think by definition, taking a centrist position would keep one from being hysterical. If you're saying that a certain small segment of the "far-NRA wing" would call me hysterical for that post, then such is life.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Whenever someone is especially against stronger background checks, I immediately assume that person is a little bit shady, has probably ridden in the back of a cop car, and thinks they might fail a background check now or in the future.

I realize, that's probably not always the case, but it's one of the first things I think of.

If you are of sound mind, clean record, and capability to properly handle one of these weapons, why should you mind a stronger set of checks and/or a longer waiting period? Why mind if magazines are lower-capacity?

I mean, is it that inconvenient to try to keep more of these from being purchased on impulse by shady and/or unstable individuals?

I think that people like them WILL one day push this country to retool the 2nd amendment.

If you don't want that to happen, make sure people like them cannot buy these weapons.

I see that as the responsibility of any law-abiding citizen who enjoys firearms for sport, target practice, defense, etc.
the classic response/question would be ... do you feel the same way and responses hold true about the other Amendments, particularly those in the Bill of Rights?

Meaning - are you willing to treat the other 9 the same as you'd like the 2nd to be?

Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
most Americans are actually in consensus about many gun policies if you take away the partisanship. Such a shame that we allow politics to divide us.
of course we are, and you're exactly correct.

everyone agrees that we'd like to see fewer deaths at the hands of people who wield guns.

Right now, the "left" acts like those who don't agree with them are happy with death. Look anywhere you want - those exalted and publicized opinions say as much.

Look at what I said several days ago - you don't need to overstate the gun problem to claim "17 school shootings in 2018" (now 18 I believe) ... we need to SEEK consensus on what to do.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think by definition, taking a centrist position would keep one from being hysterical. If you're saying that a certain small segment of the "far-NRA wing" would call me hysterical for that post, then such is life.
Obviously the "far-NRA wing" (whatever that is) is larger than you estimate, or your centrist position would have carried the day and your legislative proposals would have been adopted long ago. The fact that they haven't is further evidence that a large percentage of Americans don't consider your position to be centrist.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:52 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Obviously the "far-NRA wing" (whatever that is) is larger than you estimate, or your centrist position would have carried the day and your legislative proposals would have been adopted long ago. The fact that they haven't is further evidence that a large percentage of Americans don't consider your position to be centrist.
I think it's important to distinguish between % of politicians and % of the general public.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
That is far from a certainty, imo.
No nation has lasted forever.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
No nation has lasted forever.
Sorry, not following.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:11 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think it's important to distinguish between % of politicians and % of the general public.
Ah yes, and it comes back to money. Guess who has been bought and paid for by special interests? Lets not be naive here, it is not about the desire of the public. Politicians have ignored the will of their constituents bowing to special interests and especially money before, this is not a new phenomenon. The calls for tighter gun control are not new. I am glad students have started the movement, hopefully all the grown ups and the money will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary