Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,442 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to the Raleigh area this summer with our 2 kids. One is entering 6th grade and the other entering 3rd. We are considering private school for both kids and would love feedback on neighborhoods that are within 20 minutes or less from either Cary Academy and Ravenscroft. We’d also love any feedback on those schools. We are also going to look at Thales Academy, The Raleigh School and chesterbrook Academy in both Cary and Raleigh for the third grader.

We’d love a friendly family oriented community with some amenities, sidewalks and green space with homes in the $500-$600K range. We like what we’ve seen about Lochmere but are worried it’s too far from Ravenscroft or Cary Academy.

We are Jewish (reform) and although the school and neighborhood does not need to have a huge percentage of Jewish families, we want to make sure we aren’t the only ones. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,173,957 times
Lochmere to Cary Academy is about 15 minutes, and allows for easy an easy backroad commute if you want to avoid 64/40.

Lochmere to Ravenscroft you're looking at a minimum of 25 minutes, and more traffic.

I think the easy solution here is to figure out your school and work situations first, then buy a house based on that.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 AM

22,605 posts, read 36,432,238 times
Plenty of neighborhoods along Weston Parkway near Cary Academy that would fit your needs. Ditto Ravenscroft, right around the school, although I am not as familiar with that area my son has a friend who can see the school from his backyard. I am not sure if you're looking for a neighborhood with pool, tennis, etc....

Thales Academy in Apex, probably hundreds of neighborhoods that would fit your criteria.

Raleigh School you could live in same area around Cary Academy or in some area around West Raleigh. You could go as far west as NC 55 along High House and still be within 20 minutes, you could also live in Apex or southern Cary around US1 and get there fast too.

Last edited by twingles; 02-28-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM

82 posts, read 69,437 times
If you are looking at school at Ravenscroft you should look into Bedford/Falls River and Wakefield neighborhoods! They are very nice and are around 10-15 minutes to the school depending on which location you choose. They both also feature a neighborhood pool and multiple parks. Also I know the locations in Bedford or Falls River are very close to the greenway which would be a great activity especially in the summer!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,312,073 times
If you decide on Ravenscroft, North Ridge may fit the bill. It is located across the road from Ravenscroft, so commute to the school would be at a minimum. There is a synagogue (Beth Meyer) and Chabad Center, which increases the likelihood of other Jewish families in the area. You also aren't too far from the Jewish Community Center at the corner of Creedmoor and Norwood.

Many of the homes in North Ridge can be expensive, but there is one house available at the upper-end of your price range. In Spring, there may be additional homes available (no idea, but for sale signs tend to pop up in April/May).

Old 02-28-2018, 11:53 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,555,404 times
I agree with Jeanie about falls river / Bedford for north raleigh. Lots of young families with kids and parks and greenway trails (as well as pools and tennis courts). Honestly I would probably decide which school you like better and choose based on that. You wouldn’t want to drive from Cary to raleigh twice a day for drop off or vice versa if you don’t have to. Plus you want your kids to be close to their friends or else you’ll wind up in the car a lot more.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:30 PM

34,936 posts, read 36,004,021 times
If you want Cary Academy, look at Wessex and Weston Oaks in your price range. Very close by.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 AM

91 posts, read 77,665 times
Let think what school will benefit my children not for present but also for future. If you see that sport is the most important area to keep ongoing for college , I will not apply Cary academy. A high percent of the students are Asian (Indian, Chinese). Yes, there are sport teams in this school but your child will have a lot of pressure to maintain good grade. Ravenscroft is likely to fit if sport is one of the area. I assume that private school is your preferable school. However, if sport is just for fun and your child is willingly to drop when he/she get older, then Cary academy is best fit. As parents, you must ask yourself this question but not your child. I asked my boy when he was in swim team in middle school and he always said he loved swimming. He earned two medals from state for butterfly at NC14. He stopped swimming when he was in 8th grade and concentrated in study. He is a junior now in public school and he did not regret with that decision. Hope this help.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,442 times
Thank you so much for your input! We are also looking at schools in Durham ( Durham academy , Triangle Day and Duke School) so once we decide on a school we will look for neighborhoods in the vicinity.

We are hoping to find a school with a friendly welcoming atmosphere, excellent academics, fine arts as well as sports. Both boys play soccer and tennis and definitely want to play into middle school and possibly into high school too.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 AM

22,605 posts, read 36,432,238 times
Can't speak to the atmosphere at these schools but Cary Academy starts at 6th grade so they are all "new" at that point. And most of these kids, if they went to public school at all, are used to kids moving in all the time. Even at the private schools it likely happens with some frequency. My DD has a friend who just started at Ravenscroft this year (8th grade). i have not heard of any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary