Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,713,967 times

Advertisements

Speaking from a photography viewpoint, is it possible to get NS 349 AND the
station in the same frame? It's been a couple of years since I've been there and
I have no idea what the new station even looks like or how it's positioned? I'd prefer
to get CSX but 349 is somewhat dependable as far as when it goes by there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,863,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
There are numerous, strategically positioned sidings between Cary and Greensboro where trains running in opposite directions can pass or one train can overtake another running in the same direction. It's the same trackage for both passenger trains and freight trains.
I don't profess to know that much about trains but I believe that some countries no longer do this (one track both directions / passenger shared with freight) due to the risk of accidents.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM

4,256 posts, read 4,684,752 times
Not really. There are two decisions. The first is whether to have one track or two. The second is whether to have separate track(s) for passenger trains.

The first is mainly a question of capacity. More tracks = more capacity. The calculation of capacity can get complicated because it depends on what type of signals are used, what kinds of remote controls are in place for switches into sidings or crossovers between multiple tracks, where passenger stations and freight yards and customer spurs are located, what speed restrictions are imposed by steep hills or sharp curves, and on and on. It's also true that two tracks are more expensive to maintain than one, so railroads usually avoid excess capacity.

Separate tracks for passenger trains is mainly a question of speed. Freight trains are very heavy and can impose severe loads on track. Passenger trains aren't so heavy but in many countries they run two or three times faster than freight trains. Weaving slow freights around fast passenger trains is a pain. Also, it's frustratingly difficult to maintain a track for a smooth passenger ride at 150 mph if the track is also beaten up by frequent heavy freight usage. Another factor is that high-speed passenger trains have limitations on curvature, and many of the tracks built in the 19th century and still used for freight have curves in excess of the specs for high-speed passenger trains. So, new passenger tracks are built. Classic examples are the dedicated tracks for Shinkansen in Japan and TGV in France.

Safety is an orthogonal question. That said, what railroads almost always oppose is mixing "light rail" passenger service and the heavy-duty equipment used by freight and by Amtrak. There are safety considerations there for sure. Light rail means dedicated tracks.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 07-17-2018 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM

7,186 posts, read 6,769,419 times
https://www.wral.com/the-only-proble...-say/17723378/

Old 07-25-2018, 06:26 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Everyone wants a free lunch. Raleigh's growing, get with it people.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,150,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Everyone wants a free lunch. Raleigh's growing, get with it people.
To expand on that, Raleigh's modernizing and urbanizing.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the downtown transportation study they are doing right now. You've got Raleigh Union Station, Moore Square Bus Stop and they are building the GoTriangle multimodal center next to Union Station that will supposedly house be the connection for some of the BRT routes. It's not a huge distance separating Moore Square and Union Station but enough to be a deterrent for people to effectively take advantage of all the transportation options if not well connected.

I can take a bus downtown but it doesn't go by Raleigh Union Station so I'd have to get off at Moore Square or by the Capital and walk the rest of the way over to Union Station. Also, the early train out of Raleigh is at 6:30 AM if I wanted to do a day trip to say Charlotte and the first bus that gets to Moore Square is at 7. Definitely some tweaks they could do there.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:56 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
To expand on that, Raleigh's modernizing and urbanizing.
Ha, yeah you phrased it better.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:21 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the downtown transportation study they are doing right now. You've got Raleigh Union Station, Moore Square Bus Stop and they are building the GoTriangle multimodal center next to Union Station that will supposedly house be the connection for some of the BRT routes. It's not a huge distance separating Moore Square and Union Station but enough to be a deterrent for people to effectively take advantage of all the transportation options if not well connected.

I can take a bus downtown but it doesn't go by Raleigh Union Station so I'd have to get off at Moore Square or by the Capital and walk the rest of the way over to Union Station. Also, the early train out of Raleigh is at 6:30 AM if I wanted to do a day trip to say Charlotte and the first bus that gets to Moore Square is at 7. Definitely some tweaks they could do there.
So what happens to Moore Square once the multimodal center opens? As I understand, they just rebuilt it, so it wouldn't seem that they would abandon it.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:06 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
So what happens to Moore Square once the multimodal center opens? As I understand, they just rebuilt it, so it wouldn't seem that they would abandon it.
The plan is to obviously leave Moore Square in place but I think some buses might get shifted over to the RUS terminal. I guess we'll have to see the results of the study to figure out what that involves and how they plan to connect the two bus stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary