Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times

Advertisements

I'm reviewing some comps my real estate agent sent me, which were used as the basis for my offer to purchase a house.

One house in particular, same model as mine, same Sq ft., etc., on the comp it shows sold for one amount but on Wake County's real estate records it shows about $30k less.

How do we know which one is correct? Does the county get it wrong sometimes, or what else would cause a variance like that?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
The county tax office sends a questionnaire to the buyer of of each property (or at least they do in my county) and ask questions about the sale in order to verify the price. It asks about things like whether personal property was included in the sale ...for example, in your example the house may have been sold furnished and the buyer told the county that the value of the furniture was $30,000, so the county deducted that from the sale price.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
The tax stamps on the recorded deed tell the tale.
$2.00/$1000 or any portion of $1000.

A $400,000 sale will show 800 tax stamps.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks, this is new build so there is no personal property included.

I did the math on the tax stamps and it is correct for the Wake County listing.

So I guess wherever my RE Agent is pulling comps from has bad info. It sucks because (I assume) other consumers are making offers based on this.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

So I guess wherever my RE Agent is pulling comps from has bad info. It sucks because (I assume) other consumers are making offers based on this.
You agent SHOULD be pulling comps from MLS. I can't imagine where else they'd be pulling them from that would be 30k off except maybe Zillow.

If your agent was using Zillow for comps....yikes.

Tax Records for new construction can be off as well. They often don't show the "Sales price" for the property for a while after it has closed and obviously the tax value is going to be way off...usually just the land.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:11 PM

Yes, my agent pulled the MLS comps from Paragon (seems to be in the web address).

This one caught my eye because it is the same model as the house I bought so that was why I was looking it up. I didn't validate all of the other comps.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:

you went to the Register of Deeds site and fund where the deed was recorded and stamps paid?

If the builder/their rep misrepresented the sales price by $30K too much, then you should ask your agent to check back on that Paragon info with the Builder and possibly the Buyer's agent of that other home. It IS possible something "off deed" happened I suppose (maybe they had a bunch of other improvements done that they excluded from loan application & R/E Offer to Purchase)

Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 AM

I did the math on the Wake County property tax site, where the tax stamps are indicated.

I went to the register of deeds site and found the "Deed of Trust". Under subsection (F), there is listed the promissory note which is identical to the "Sale" amount on the property tax site. So either the new owners financed 100% of the house (unlikely) or the Wake County site is incorrect.

I will circle back to my agent - It doesn't affect my closing, it's a curiosity more than anything.

Since you're in the business, though, where does Paragon (or whatever comp software you use) get its data from? If the county data is incorrect, it must come from somewhere else.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:36 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
I did the math on the Wake County property tax site, where the tax stamps are indicated.

I went to the register of deeds site and found the "Deed of Trust". Under subsection (F), there is listed the promissory note which is identical to the "Sale" amount on the property tax site. So either the new owners financed 100% of the house (unlikely) or the Wake County site is incorrect.

I will circle back to my agent - It doesn't affect my closing, it's a curiosity more than anything.

Since you're in the business, though, where does Paragon (or whatever comp software you use) get its data from? If the county data is incorrect, it must come from somewhere else.

Paragon is software that the Triangle MLS runs on.
Listing agents enter sales prices into their listings after closing.
It is possible to make an error.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:

if you go to the ROD site, you should find the Deed from the builder to the current owner. That deed should state the excise stamps, which you can then do the math.

The tax office makes typos. Realtors make typos. Your agent should be able to figure out if it was a typo or not.

We only get taxes paid, tax value, property ID info from the Revenue page. The listing agent is responsible for accuracy of the info. The listing agent enters the sale price.

Why, just this week someone late at night changed something to closed, and by adding an extra zero significantly increased the sale price. It was corrected the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary