Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 AM

225 posts, read 216,860 times

Advertisements

I have been using Turbo Tax for 20 years or so.
Due to my situation, I figured this year, instead of paying 40-80 using TT to be giving more of my money to the IRS, wanted to see about going to a human person face to face for a second opinion and maybe a way to fix my situation. Someone/someplace that does free overviews or charges less than TT. If I am going to pay the same amount, then I might do it there and then, but I not be paying more UNLESS they are actually able to help me better than what I am seeing now in TT.
So I am looking for options and recommendations on a tax person or place, and my limitations is around Falls of Neuse, Capital Boulevard, areas.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
What is the situation you're referring to? Unless you have some sort of super complex return, I don't see what an accountant is going to find that Turbo Tax doesn't.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Sorry - but why should a professional give you his/her time and expertise for nothing?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
What is the situation you're referring to? Unless you have some sort of super complex return, I don't see what an accountant is going to find that Turbo Tax doesn't.
Since my 2011 layoff, I have done nothing but give them my money more and more ("owing" as they say). Still giving them 50/month since 2013 and again this year they want more money (always both state and federal). So figured if a human can look over the stuff and do something better. For example, if TT going to charge me 80 to give the government another 2000 total to add on top of what I am still giving them, and a human can do better and make me not give them as much, or even I get something back, then that be worth our time and my money.

Is a thought.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:18 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'm an ex professional accountant. I've done my own taxes on TT, TaxAct and, yes, even in pencil with a calculator.

For the past few years I've paid CPA to do my taxes. Happily. Why? Because he puts a second eye to my stuff (and has found discrepancies in certain things that I hadn't spotted that needed an explanation - like investment fees.) Because I know the damn thing is correct. Because he charges a reasonable price. Because I value my time. Because if I croak, my paperwork adverse husband will be set. Because he suggests ways to reassess the source of my income to minimize taxes, or possibilities for reevaluating / rescheduling deductible items. Because he has prepared a proforma to see what my situation will be under the new tax laws. Because I can call or email him during the year for advice at no charge.

In most situations, an expert tax preparer (CPA or EA) won't 'save you money' by preparing your taxes. If they tell you they will, they are either lying or intending to commit fraud on YOUR tax return. The numbers are the numbers, and our tax rates are set up in granite.

I'm guessing you don't have enough deductions to even file a Schedule C. If I'm correct, stay with TurboTax. I'm also guessing you skipped paying taxes for awhile and are now having to pay it plus interest and penalties. Unless you owe back taxes of about $20k, there won't be any flexibility on repayment by IRS.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but your goals and expectations are out of whack.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm an ex professional accountant. I've done my own taxes on TT, TaxAct and, yes, even in pencil with a calculator.

For the past few years I've paid CPA to do my taxes. Happily. Why? Because he puts a second eye to my stuff (and has found discrepancies in certain things that I hadn't spotted that needed an explanation - like investment fees.) Because I know the damn thing is correct. Because he charges a reasonable price. Because I value my time. Because if I croak, my paperwork adverse husband will be set. Because he suggests ways to reassess the source of my income to minimize taxes, or possibilities for reevaluating / rescheduling deductible items. Because he has prepared a proforma to see what my situation will be under the new tax laws. Because I can call or email him during the year for advice at no charge.

In most situations, an expert tax preparer (CPA or EA) won't 'save you money' by preparing your taxes. If they tell you they will, they are either lying or intending to commit fraud on YOUR tax return. The numbers are the numbers, and our tax rates are set up in granite.

I'm guessing you don't have enough deductions to even file a Schedule C. If I'm correct, stay with TurboTax. I'm also guessing you skipped paying taxes for awhile and are now having to pay it plus interest and penalties. Unless you owe back taxes of about $20k, there won't be any flexibility on repayment by IRS.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but your goals and expectations are out of whack.
Thanks for the info.
No, I never skipped giving them my money. I not gotten any decent pay since my 2011 layoff until Aug 2017. No work until 2013 and many teenage wage jobs. School loans, 800 credit was destroyed, yadda yadda, I had to access my 401k many times for rent and to get a car (no worries, sub $3-5k used is the only way I go) back then when the minivan was taken away, out of pocket medical..... you know the the stories. Hard years. Only started to play catch up now. Just during those years, even working multiple jobs, they wanted more every year and I been giving them $50 a month since 2013, and was hoping I did not have to again add more to the current pile but looks like I am. This is why I asked about a CPA as you said they are.
Guess I will stick with TT then and pray next year be better and maybe I can stop giving them money and they can give me some back. I never has to give them more of my money in 25 years of working until that layoff.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:41 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
As jkgourmet said, you owe what you owe. You'll only get some back if you paid them too much throughout the year. You only owe if you didn't pay enough. I think you may be confused about how taxes work.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think you may be confused about how taxes work.
You just described 90% of the population.

"I can't get a raise, if I do I'll take a pay cut because my tax rate goes up!".

"Uhhh, no you won't"

Old 03-04-2018, 04:43 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You just described 90% of the population.

"I can't get a raise, if I do I'll take a pay cut because my tax rate goes up!".

"Uhhh, no you won't"
Depends on the circumstances. I've had to plan carefully (contribute to traditional IRA instead of Roth and maximize other potential deductions) in order to keep my raises from putting me over the ACA limit and costing me thousands in health insurance subsidies.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Depends on the circumstances. I've had to plan carefully (contribute to traditional IRA instead of Roth and maximize other potential deductions) in order to keep my raises from putting me over the ACA limit and costing me thousands in health insurance subsidies.
Yes I realize that plus the now gone AMT but for general worker bees the water cooler talk is nonsense.

With ACA subsidies someone would be in a pretty low income bracket. It's unfortunate our government encourages people to not work or earn less just to get more entitlements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary