Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times

Advertisements

I see road rage but I dont notice it getting worse. Maybe a little more tailgating but that's about it. I see an increase of using phones while driving. Sitting at green lights, drifting out of lanes, and just overall poor driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
I have driven I40 to and from RTP to Garner every day during rush hour for the last 20 years. Spend most of that time in the far left lane. I have not noticed any uptick in "road rage" whatsoever. There are more cars, but I have the same percentage of tailgaters, passers, fingers, fists whatever then I ever have. Seems all the same percentage wise to me. I think people seem to only wax poetic about days gone by when really nothing had changed. It just seems "worse".

Similar to how people think that violence has increased since their childhood...which is actually false. It's considerably safer then the 70's and 80's. Same goes for violent rapes. That is down also in the last 10 years then it was in the 70's and 80's. People believe its worse thanks to the 24/7 constant barrage of news media... when its really not.
Couldn't agree more. Social media makes any negative thing seem like an epidemic. It kind of makes me miss the early 2000's when phones were not very smart, texting was slow so most people would just call, and being social actually meant hanging out with people in person and not glued to your phone while doing so.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Yup, he got pulled over. Made my day!
Makes my day too every time I see some jerk pulled over getting a ticket. I don't see a whole lot of aggressive driving since moving down here.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Twenty years ago I saw no examples of road rage. Instead there were surprisingly courteous drivers compared to other areas along the east coast.

Now, with the influx of population, it appears that aggressive drivers from other places are fully taking advantage of the once courteous and laid back vibe that was once so obvious here. It's as if they think whoopee, I can do whatever I want here! People will accommodate me and get out of the way. I can be on my phone, distracted, wobble back and forth over the lane lines, and nobody cares. Add to that the lack of policing and it is a free for all.

Add to that the minimal training of new drivers by "driving schools" whose instructors only have time to teach the basics but not to emphasize the art of precision and community goals, and there are a few new drivers who have no idea of the danger they are leaving in their wake.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:15 AM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
I have driven I40 to and from RTP to Garner every day during rush hour for the last 20 years. Spend most of that time in the far left lane. I have not noticed any uptick in "road rage" whatsoever. There are more cars, but I have the same percentage of tailgaters, passers, fingers, fists whatever then I ever have. Seems all the same percentage wise to me. I think people seem to only wax poetic about days gone by when really nothing had changed. It just seems "worse".

Similar to how people think that violence has increased since their childhood...which is actually false. It's considerably safer then the 70's and 80's. Same goes for violent rapes. That is down also in the last 10 years then it was in the 70's and 80's. People believe its worse thanks to the 24/7 constant barrage of news media... when its really not.
I would concur with your sentiment.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Funny thing is, the guy in this video would have been getting pulled over if it wasn't for the other D-bag. Seems to me he thinks he's a safe driver, but from the speed he was apparently traveling to way he was acting on the road, these are the guy you have to watch out for.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:33 AM

I will say, the video about speeding cops is something I've watched before. The most ironic part of that 2nd video is the fact the Highway Patrol Trooper speeding to the academy, cutting across multiple lanes and not using a turn signal, is a "Driving Instructor". This is the guy teaching other troopers how to drive. God bless us all!

Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good kid, terrible driver Gonna be a little while till he gets the license even though he's had a permit over a year.

Has nothing to do with where he's raised by the way. Hard as this may be for you to believe, parents are still the biggest influence on their kids - many just forget that. Had it reinforced this weekend at a streetsafeusa seminar where the folks in charge told us they poll the kids taking the class and that's overwhelmingly what they (the kids) say.

So NY born-and-bred DH and I will take credit for our three great kids.
There are jerks everywhere.

I think you have a unique perspective because you have lived in both places. People from NY can raise great kids and people from NC can raise great kids.

Or not.

All that said, I wonder what it is with kids now? I mean, my eldest is a good bit older than my younger two and he got his license when he was 17, but just barely as it was less than a month after his 17th birthday. He had his permit since right before he turned 15 and the only reason he did not get a license at 16 was because we did not have a car for him to drive regularly and I did not want to pay for insurance.

My other two just don't really have much interest in driving. My middle kid would never get a license if we lived in a place with good mass transit. I fully believe this.

My youngest keeps saying she wants to get her permit (she's been saying this for over a year.. LOL) but she really does not put much effort into reminding me. She's 17 already.

It's really weird. I was eager to get my license. I got it at 16, but not right on my birthday because it took until after then to get into driver's ed at my high school.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:

I have not noticed any increase in "road rage" here, either.

I notice more honking, for sure, but that's really because honking was so uncommon in this area when I was growing up and when my kids were little... the uptick as been quite sharp for that one.

But, not "road rage."

I cannot recall ever being involved in any sort of incident anywhere in the Triangle related to "road rage."

Sure, I have been annoyed with drivers and I'm sure some have been annoyed with me. I'm sure I have honked at someone and I know I have been honked at and not all of those were a gentle tap to remind me that the light just changed (I really dislike people honking the very instant that thing switches because I do not GUN IT from a light at an intersection).

But, "road rage?" Nah... no difference.

The one thing I totally agree with whenever someone starts talking about "drivers in the Triangle" that consistently happens is that so many people do NOT use turn signals.

It's like they think they're being charged per use.

LOL.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Not only haven't I noticed an increase, I haven't noticed any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary