Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I mostly agree too, but when there is not that much traffic, and you are in the left lane, riding at the same speed as the guy next to you, with nobody in front of you, why would you not get over and let someone else pass? (And I specifically mentioned I give people a mile or more in case they are there for left turns, because I am one to get over early. But not 8-miles early.)

Is it required? No.
Would it be better for everyone involved, including the person (not) getting over? Absolutely.

Are you telling me that if you were in that situation, and noticed someone behind you, you'd hold them up "just because you can"?

In fact, if I am on a 2-lane road, and I'm going slow for whatever reason, if there is someone behind me, or definitely if there is a line of cars stacked up behind me, I'll find a safe place to move right and let them pass.

Consider the time I'm traveling (not very busy) and the distance I'm going (8.5 miles on Davis). There is no reason to be held up that entire distance.

i agree with you. It's a two lane road for a reason. And since passing on the right is prohibited under NC law, it makes no sense for both lanes to be clogged up with slower moving vehicles.

I've had two kids go through driver's ed here. Let's just say there are issues.

Last edited by twingles; 03-15-2018 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:27 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Oh, I do not agree with blocking cars by traveling slowly in EITHER lane on a road like Davis, Cary Parkway, High House, etc.

If I felt like driving slow (which I rarely do), I would move right.

But, if I am on one of those roads and already driving somewhat over the limit with a crowded road at rush hour and other cars for miles over on the right, odds are low I'm moving to the right if my turn is 2 miles up.

Maybe if it's 8 miles, sure... why not?

But, it could be just as much of a pain to move back over again and if I am indeed already going a good 50 or more in a 45, I can only assume I'm not clogging traffic and it's safer for me to stay in my lane.

It is possible that I tend to drive around 55 in most 45 zones where there are 4 lane roads, but do not quote me on that.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
i agree with you. It's a two lane road for a reason. And since passing on the right is prohibited under NC law, it makes no sense for both lanes to be clogged up with slower moving vehicles.

It's two lanes because the traffic cannot be supported by one lane.

I do agree that the lanes should not be clogged due to slow-moving traffic (as in, under the speed limit), but that's true on any road if at all possible.

The truth is, we don't have ANY right to get to drive over the speed limit on these roads.

I watch people gun it down Cary Parkway from light to light for miles and it's funny (I do go a bit over the limit pretty much whenever possible on that road) because they do not get to Point B any faster than I do and I not leave every light with flames pouring out my tailpipe.

That's just as bad as slow drivers, really.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 AM

11,231 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, I do not agree with blocking cars by traveling slowly in EITHER lane on a road like Davis, Cary Parkway, High House, etc.

If I felt like driving slow (which I rarely do), I would move right.

But, if I am on one of those roads and already driving somewhat over the limit with a crowded road at rush hour and other cars for miles over on the right, odds are low I'm moving to the right if my turn is 2 miles up.

Maybe if it's 8 miles, sure... why not?

But, it could be just as much of a pain to move back over again and if I am indeed already going a good 50 or more in a 45, I can only assume I'm not clogging traffic and it's safer for me to stay in my lane.

It is possible that I tend to drive around 55 in most 45 zones where there are 4 lane roads, but do not quote me on that.

Again, let's look at the comment you and another originally replied to. I was specific that I go in at low-volume times. I was specific that there was empty road in front, and no reason for the car to be holding me up. The argument about not being able to get back over just doesn't hold up in these circumstances.

And I agree with you as well. In heavy traffic, nobody is going anywhere (yet they try), because as soon as you pass one car, there is another right in front of you. I am a very patient driver in these cases. I am talking specifically about people who are blocking (either intentional, or due to having their head in their tailpipe) otherwise open road. In that case, I don't care if I'm going 70 and someone wants to pass, I'll move over and let them. (Chances are, in that instance, I'll have the satisfaction of seeing them pulled over ahead on the road, and that is 100% on them.)

To put this in perspective, yes, I get frustrated with being blocked on empty roads, but I get a lot more upset when people are driving aggressively on crowded roads, weaving in and out of heavy traffic, and endangering me and others. Like I said, I am usually a pretty mellow dude.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:55 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,983,059 times
A 2 lane road isn't a highway.....

If they are in the left lane going at or over the speed limit let it go

UNDER for sure

Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,591,403 times
To me, it would seem that ticketing the drivers passing slow people on the right is the wrong way to go, and do what some other states do and ticket the guy going under the speed limit in the left lane. If it weren't for people like that, nobody would pass on the right.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,257,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
People flying up from behind and tailgating, then shaking their fist in anger as they zoom on past.
Maybe you're just in the left lane but not passing anyone? There is never a shortage of two types of posts here: "road rage" and "why are people camping in the left lane".

Old 03-16-2018, 03:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

If you are at the speed limit, you should not have any reason to make room for a law breaker.

Let them learn to obey the law

If that doesn't work for them, there's RDU, I95, and Greyhound ready to serve them.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,483,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
To me, it would seem that ticketing the drivers passing slow people on the right is the wrong way to go, and do what some other states do and ticket the guy going under the speed limit in the left lane. If it weren't for people like that, nobody would pass on the right.
No. These speed demons get their jollies from passing and cutting in and out.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,291,700 times
I have never seen someone get ticketed for passing on the right....ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary