Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
If you really want good Vietnamese food, make the drive to Greensboro. They have a large Vietnamese community there so the Vietnamese restaurants are superior to those of the Triangle. For food I like Van Loi II; for bahn mi, I like Saigon Bakery.
This is the one I was talking about (I think I named it wrong in my earlier post), it is off of High Point Road:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-mi-sai...ery-greensboro

Worth a stop when going that way. (I think that 40 was rerouted a few years ago to bypass that part of G'boro to the south. You'd have to stay on the older 40 that goes by the convention center, get off at High Point Road, and it's about a mile or so South of the highway, on the right, in a strip mall. Nothing to look at, but the food is out of this world.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:45 AM

195 posts, read 286,075 times
Kokyu's Belly Bahn (Pork Belly, Jus, Chilies, Cucumber, Pickled Veg, Cilantro) would be their Bahn Mi. But I agree the others are variations on the classic.

Compare this photo with this Epicurious classic Bahn Mi.

Whatever you want to call it, it's still amazingly good!

Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronskrat View Post
Kokyu's Belly Bahn (Pork Belly, Jus, Chilies, Cucumber, Pickled Veg, Cilantro) would be their Bahn Mi. But I agree the others are variations on the classic.

Compare this photo with this Epicurious classic Bahn Mi.

Whatever you want to call it, it's still amazingly good!
The bahn mi photo makes me hungry! But it looks like their is sriracha dripping on there? That is not part of the traditional bahn mi ( at least , those that i've had) The heat comes ftom the sliced jalapeno, which seem to be optional in America.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
Your directions are correct and Van Loi II is nearby so one could hit up both places. Saigon bakes their own bread and that makes all the difference, a shattering eggshell like crust with a cloud-like softness inside. I have found nothing like their bread in the Triangle-- one place even had the audacity to use a hoagie roll!

If one is a lover of Asian food and finds themselves in Gboro, they must visit Super G Mart. It is better than H mart, Grand Asia, or Li Ming's in the Triangle.

I have heard great things about Lao Kitchen but their hours aren't amenable to those of us coming from the Triangle. If I ever make it there I'll try to report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is the one I was talking about (I think I named it wrong in my earlier post), it is off of High Point Road:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-mi-sai...ery-greensboro

Worth a stop when going that way. (I think that 40 was rerouted a few years ago to bypass that part of G'boro to the south. You'd have to stay on the older 40 that goes by the convention center, get off at High Point Road, and it's about a mile or so South of the highway, on the right, in a strip mall. Nothing to look at, but the food is out of this world.)

Old 07-01-2018, 10:11 AM

269 posts, read 321,868 times
Reviving this thread -

I just noticed over the weekend that Pho & Crawfish (formerly Cali-pho) on Capital is no more. It is now named Saigon Pho, and the food is awesome!

We had the Bun cha, and the bowls were huge and with perfectly seasoned pork. The spring rolls were a bit thin, but very fresh. Didn't try their pho yet, but will be going again soon.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:54 PM

91 posts, read 78,701 times
I always looking for authentic pho restaurant. Van loi II in Greensboro is the best. In Raleigh, Pho Far East is much better than other restaurants. We always order Bun Bo Hue. It is a little spicy but great taste.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
If you are willing to drive to Greensboro. Pho Hien Vuong - Vietnamese & Thai Cuisine drool

Old 07-01-2018, 08:39 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The bahn mi photo makes me hungry! But it looks like their is sriracha dripping on there? That is not part of the traditional bahn mi ( at least , those that i've had) The heat comes ftom the sliced jalapeno, which seem to be optional in America.
That's interesting as I don't remember jalapeno when I was in VN, but didn't eat much Ban Mi while there, more street-side food stall stuff.

After reading this thread went to Saigon Pho for the first time - good find, really need to go back again and try other things, I didn't have it but the Pho was reportedly good but the medium size noodles ran out too soon, and my rice dish meat was so-so, the spring roll was perfect.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 29,339 times
Dalat: Dalat Asia Grandma&#039s Kitchen

Old 07-02-2018, 04:16 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbie View Post
Might try it but from the menu it's either fusion or one of those "Asian" places that does mutiple and different cuisines which most often means they do none or only one well.

I never saw Tempura in VN, but was only in Saigon, Danang, Nah Trang, Vung Tau, Hue, Qui Non and one more city so might have missed something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary