Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:42 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,749,999 times

Advertisements

Try Orangetheory fitness. They are looking for trainers now. They have classes starting at 5:00 am and running until noon, then from 4-8 (not sure the exact schedule of all studios here but they’re similar). So, some nights, but plenty slots that aren’t. The trainers there don’t do any selling, it’s the front office people.

I know a couple of the trainers at the Morrisville location have physical therapy backgrounds or work doing it part time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:48 AM

569 posts, read 439,641 times
For the Camp Gladiator position, trainers usually have a few different camps that they host at various locations. Some of the trainers only do the very early morning camps 545 am etc. I would think that would be more flexible than keeping hours at a gym.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:50 AM

496 posts, read 466,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
Just to clarify- he is applying for PT Aide/tech jobs, which are entry level positions not requiring any degree or certifications. essentially in this role, you would be setting up the rooms for the PT's and assisting with administrative functions.
In the fall he will be pursuing his PT Assistant certification which is a 2 year associates program but I assume he can skip some gen-ed classes as he has a bachelors.

One of the problems with a position as a personal trainer in a gym is the hours, we have two children that play sports and it would be difficult for me to get the kids to practice and games in different locations on nights and weekends, and those are the hours that a trainer would work.
One thing to remember is that some employers will not hire someone if they believe that person is over qualified for the job because they know that person is going to move on to another job that suits them better after awhile and then they'd need to hire and train a new person. Just a thought...

Old 03-14-2018, 04:16 PM

806 posts, read 603,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
Good advice twingles, thank you!
This is great software for matching your resume keywords with the job listing so it makes it through the filters. They offer a free trial of some kind I think.

https://www.jobscan.co/

Old 03-14-2018, 04:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,428,081 times
My previous job I actually mailed my resume in to HR. Wow have times changed. So glad I'm not actively hunting and (hope to) never do so again (I'm a lifer).

FWIW the past three or four jobs my wife has gotten has been through networking and knowing people which is how I got mine as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Employers use software to sort through applicants. He needs a fluid resume that he changes for each job he applies for and he needs to use the pertinent terminology they are looking for so his resume gets "caught". If he needs help with that he should talk to someone who can help, career counselor, whatever.
^^ This.

My husband was laid off in September and has had trouble getting a face-to-face interview. He went through +:+:+ and was able to take some classes on resume writing, etc. After getting his resume re-tooled, he's been getting more notice. He uses LinkedIn and Indeed and has found connections that way.

He knew when his layoff was coming, and was able to get in with the PNC Arena as a security person (manning the doors, looking for contraband, etc.) It doesn't pay much, but it was good for him to feel like he's doing something. He's had a few temp assignments, and hoping the current one will turn into a long-term assignment. He's a few years too young for full SS benefits. We're doing anything we can just to pay the bills.

It's not easy, but it sounds like your husband is young enough to reinvent himself. (Has he checked Pivot? My daughter works at one location in the area.) Good luck!

Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 AM

193 posts, read 158,493 times
socialogy doesnt seem like a strong major to compete with assuming your husband has alot of experience it probably wouldnt matter

Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 AM

714 posts, read 720,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
socialogy doesnt seem like a strong major to compete with assuming your husband has alot of experience it probably wouldnt matter
I'm a sociology major who worked as a secretary for the first 11 years of my post-college life until my then-manager gave me a break and put me in as an entry-level programmer. Sociology is pretty much regarded as a joke major, unfortunately. If he's spotlighting his major, recruiters are laughing.

Online job hunting is all about keywords. HR departments are staffed by people who have no idea about the qualifications required for a given job. Your husband needs to know those keywords and use them in his resume and his online job applications.

It could be hard for PT here. I know someone who moved here from out of state for a PT job and three months later his employer merged and he was out of a job...now he is on a per-assignment basis and really struggling.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,176 times
I too have a sociology major which has only been useful to check off the box that I have a degree. He needs a PT degree in this area with the competition in that field, ideally a doctor of pt.

However maybe he can get a lucky break and get in...but it’s going to be a lot of luck. Definitely tailor his resume with keywords to get caught in the search and don’t spotlight the degree too much. I work in IT and honestly wound up there by dumb luck initially.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:42 AM

595 posts, read 676,296 times
I’m not sure where you are moved from, but Physical Therapy Assistants aren’t as common in NC as they were in NJ. My wife is a PT, and we just talked about this the other night. I don’t know the specifics, but something about how the scope of practice for a PTA is more limited and insurance will not reimburse for certain activities. Coupled with lower PT salaries, there is less financial incentive to hire a PTA. This is in an outpatient orthopedic setting. I am not familiar with hospital based settings. Where my wife has worked, the only aides they have tend to be part time college students who don’t do much more than fetch hot packs, clean up, fold towels, etc. They really don’t interact with patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary