Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 AM

806 posts, read 604,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah, seems that way. I was surprised at how many "country" black people there were in the south when I first moved down here years ago. My accountant is one of those people and loves telling me stories about her childhood in the rural south lol.
So true. The few times we have driven in rural areas around the state I have noticed we are the minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
To RedZin's point, I think you're more likely to notice that you might get funny looks in some places.

I will say that what I noticed (as a white guy) when I moved down here was kind of interesting...People are way more comfortable with folks of different races than they are in much of the North (MN or IL and WI to a lesser extent would be my reference points.)
+1

I am not comparing myself to someone of Asian heritage who's experienced prejudice, but try as I might, I cannot hide my accent, as an Italian from NY. If I go into the deep, deep, South, yes, my accent will get me noticed.

Have I ever been treated unfairly? No.

And this I have noticed from even older Southern men: if you're thought to be a "stand up" guy, who does what he says he'll do,
you'll be respected - irrespective of race. This I have seen time and time again - not only of myself, but of people of other races.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:50 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
As I said in a previous post, I've gotten more racist comments about myself and my past girlfriends up in NY. Never had any issue in Atlanta, Raleigh, Sarasota, or Austin. Good old upstate NY never ceases to innovate or improve.
Agreed.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Just seems like a silly question to me. If anyone looks hard enough, they can find prejudices. Sounds like you're looking.

This isnt the 1800s, or even the 1950s. The Triangle is a fairly progressive, multi cultural place now.
Interesting.....are you in an interracial relationship and do you live in an area that the OP inquired about? The only reason I ask is because I can tell you from my experience that being in an interracial relationship and having property in two areas (suburban North Raleigh and more of a country setting within an hour from here) that it was very different for us.

Living in the immediate triangle area you will probably not have any issues at all. Of course there will always be an unhappy soul here that wants to make others miserable for whatever reason and being an interracial couple makes for an easy excuse for them to be jerks. But overall most people don't even bat an eye. Plus there are many interracial couples here.

Now, living further out your chances of living amongst people with some very old "values" that still don't believe in race mixing is much greater. They typically have no problem living next door to a family that is entirely a different race then they are but they can't seem to accept interracial relationships.

We finally gave up our dream of living in the country because of a neighbor and decided that our other property in North Raleigh was better fit for us.

For clarification......I am a white woman with a black husband so our experiences may differ from others.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:06 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Some rural areas are very cliquish and anyone not there at least 20 years are considered newcomers.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 AM

626 posts, read 625,996 times
Quote:
Yeah, seems that way. I was surprised at how many "country" black people there were in the south when I first moved down here years ago. My accountant is one of those people and loves telling me stories about her childhood in the rural south lol.
That always surprises me when I tell them that the most redneck guy I ever met was black guy down in SC. He would sport rebel flag hats while chewing tobacco talking about going hunting/fishing all the time.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM

19 posts, read 30,697 times
There is racial bias and stereotyping everywhere. Across the whole wide world. Learn to live with it and be smart about it. Don't you just love these threads? What exactly are you looking to find here?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Some rural areas are very cliquish and anyone not there at least 20 years are considered newcomers.
That's everywhere, though. Not just in NC.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:24 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
yes and no

my home county my parents grew up with my friends parents and most people have extended kin networks around them.

No doubt that can be hard to penetrate but it's just a reality not being cliquish per se.

How many people reading this have cousins living around them?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
yes and no

my home county my parents grew up with my friends parents and most people have extended kin networks around them.

No doubt that can be hard to penetrate but it's just a reality not being cliquish per se.

How many people reading this have cousins living around them?
That's a good point. I think my closest relative that doesn't live in my house is my mom, but it takes about 35 minutes on a good day to get to her house. My family members on both sides who pretty much never moved away from where my grandparents/great grandparents grew up are all within about 10-15 minutes of each other, tops. More like 5 for some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary