U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 PM

141 posts, read 122,680 times

Advertisements

We moved from Manhattan just over 2 years ago. The triangle is a wonderful place for raising kids. As others suggested you definitely should take an trip down to check it out first.

In terms of walk-ability, there are a few small spots but that is about it based on a former NYers point of view. We initially rented an apartment at Weston Lofts Lakeside. It was really nice with beautiful large apartments (we had a three bedroom for 1600 per month). The only issue is that you have to walk a mile up hill to get to the Starbucks, sandwich shops and amenities. This didnt seem like much in the car, but it really wasnt a fun walk ( and as a Manhattanite i have no problem walking. If were were to do it over again and rent in Cary I would have Chose a Place at Park West Village. This is a shopping center that has movie theaters, restaurants, coffee, and lots of other things within just a 3 minute walk. We looked in Raleigh as well at two buildings right in Cameron Village, The rent was about the same and the amenities were just as good. For us the deciding factor was that we had trouble finding a daycare nearby that we liked and my job was in Cary on Weston Parkway while my wife was working up in RTP. As others said ease of commute was a big factor.

We spent a lot of time during our first year driving around and getting to know the area and deciding where we wanted to buy. We initially had the same feeling someone mentioned earlier in that it felt like there was no there there. The dominance of driving has seemed to result in the absence of central grid town/ city like you find in the northeast. My experience has been that most towns are basically a strip along a main road that is longer or shorter depending on where you go. We ultimately chose to live in Apex within 3 blocks of downtown Salem street. We also considered Chapel Hill / Carrboro but for us the price for what you get in terms of a house and what we wanted in the town was a strip that didn't charm us. Durham was an initial option but we found it to be a bit of a driving maze; to us there were some great places but it didn't feel cohesive. It was also pretty expensive to be in downtown Durham and it just didn't give us the feel we were hoping for. Raleigh was ruled out early on as the prices were higher "in the belt" and the prices within real walking disatnce of Cameron Village were inflated "feels like a bubble to me" and downtown Raleigh was ruled out of the same absence of cohesive feel that we had in Durham.

This is all just my 2 cents based on our experience. I hope you find it helpful and I wish you luck in your choices.

One final funny thing is that down here housing prices and where people live do not seem to be impacted as severly as they are in the north east when you are next to an airport, rail road, or nuclear facility. They do seem to really hate being next to power lines and highways as it was in the northeast - maybe even more so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 05:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,207,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Yeah this area needs to get its act together and put in light rail to accommodate growth and remain an attractive place to live. That is going to take 5-10 years to build out so they better get cracking.

So D goes to Coney Island. Where does the A go, Rockaway Beach?
Yes. Used to be an HH local and you transferred to the A at Fulton Lefferts Blvd station. Direct service now on the A.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary