Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM

285 posts, read 836,668 times

Advertisements

So we're thinking of heading to the beach for this coming long weekend. Have plans on Saturday early afternoon, so would head up either on Saturday late afternoon, or Sunday - planning to stay on Sunday night and possible Saturday too depending on when we head up there....

We've only ever done day trips before - is this a crazy idea seeing as its Labor weekend? Any recommendations on which beach & hotels - we're heading from Raleigh...

We're been over to Wrightsville a couple of times and thats it - ideally looking for a quiet-ish place with nice beach for sunbathing, maybe paddling in the sea, etc

All suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Expecting to "just show up and find a place" on Labor Day weekend at the beach is a stretch!

But more importantly, there's this little thing called Hurricane Earl in the Atlantic that may (most likely not, BUT...) affect the NC coast later this week, probably Thursday night. Depending on how Earl goes, there could be structural damage or at least power outages into the weekend. Right now, the odds look very slim for a direct hit, but as one who already has plans in place for a beach weekend, I'm getting my "Plan B" in place, for sure. If you don't even really have plans at all, I'd say either way, your odds of finding something Labor Day weekend aren't so great. Can you wait one more weekend? Availability will go up substantially even one weekend from now, and the beaches are very nice into October.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
besides, rates usually are lower after the labor day weekend. But I'd be afraid I couldn't find any place to stay, restaurants and highways will be packed.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,583 times
I'm with the others, I don't think you'd find a place to stay ... even given the idea of Hurricane Earl looming. You could try but be prepared to camp ... or drive home. From experience driving to any beach and back from the RTP is tough. I've done it ...

You could check online at Top Sail, they have a Holiday Inn Express not far from the water that may prove to be a good choice for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
We're headed to W'ville but keeping a very close eye on the weather! I's suggest waiting another weekend for a last minute trip. You'll have better luck finding a place to stay.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM

321 posts, read 880,544 times
It appears now that Earl may be impacting the coast a little more than previously anticipated. Having lived on the coast for many years and going through many hurricanes, I can tell you that W'ville Beach is already in storm preparation. These storms can change track and speed at any time (HINT: Check to see where Jim Cantore is. If he's in Wilmington/W'ville Beach, I would stay away!!) Depending on how it looks by Thursday, W'ville Beach could be under evacuations and the bridge closed. If there is flooding (which is common when a storm comes in at high tide), they may not re-open W'ville Beach to tourists for a couple of days. Why put yourself through that? And as previously mentioned, even in the best of weather, you won't find anywhere to stay anyway this close to the holiday.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:27 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
By Friday morning you will know the effects of the hurricane. If all is fine, you can check out Craigslist and last minute travel websites. There will no doubt be some cancellations so you may get lucky and get a nice beach condo for the weekend.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:49 AM

476 posts, read 1,297,190 times
I would go for it!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,611 times
My wife and I went down to Fort Fisher last Labor Day weekend to stay with my parents who were down for a vacation. It took us five hours to get back to Cary Monday afternoon. Not a fun way to end the weekend. Granted it was raining so that may have added to it a little, but brace yourself if you go. Personally, I would just wait until next weekend.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
I think by Friday Earl will either be hitting the coast or zipping by the outerbanks. If anything this will probably be a pretty low turnout Labor day weekend.

I will say that if I had kids who like to play in the surf, I would stay away this Saturday, as currents, rip tides and surf are likely to be pretty strong (the south facing beaches of Brunswick county would be a good bet). Sunday and Monday look to be pretty nice though (although probably still alot of rip tide and current concern).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary