Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 10,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
that doesn't make a lot of sense. If the birthing center was not advising parents to get a pediatrician, yet parents were seeking out a pediatrician, why would a pediatrician penalize them for that?
This is not correct, they were constantly reminding us to find a pediatrician and they would fax all the information to them for the first check-up. I believe they said that in most cases that first, 48 hr I believe, check in wasn't completely necessary since the center would do a house visit and issue the shots, take blood, etc. but you could request to go to a pediatrician instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
raleighbeer, I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry that you're having to revisit the experience with all this public attention. My heart goes out to you, your wife, and your family.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'm so sorry, raleighbeer. My heart goes out to you and your wife, too. Thanks for taking the time to post here about your experience. That's very generous and more than I would probably have been able to do. <3

Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
SO so sorry too Raleighbeer. How heartbreaking.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
I wanted to add my hospital experience in 2006 at Rex. I asked the nurse for some IV pain meds (was going epidural free) and she was quite short with me and told me if I got them too early I couldn't have them again. She finally consented to giving me some and didn't check my dialation prior to shooting it into my IV. My son was born 20 minutes later with Apgar scores of 1 & 2 barely breathing.
He was revived with Narcam and spent the next 8 hours in observation and was ultimately fine but it was a VERY different experience to my midwife assisted birth in NJ back in 2001 where she actually listened to my body and my cues.

I do hope that none of this causes NC to shy away from midwifery practices. (and p.s. Call The Midwife on PBS is one of my favorite shows).

Old 03-26-2018, 01:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighbeer View Post
I came across this forum and wanted to add my 2 cents to it. My child was one of those that passed after being born at Baby & Co recently, my wife & I chose it for a variety of reasons, but mostly wanting a more comfortable experience without medication or being forced to be bed ridden. Our experience from signing up, the free birthing and parenting classes, and the initial parts of labor were amazing. The staff always remembered you and made you feel welcome, and even after, they stayed in touch to see how both my wife & I were doing, you could tell that the experience had a huge impact on them and were quite shaken. We do not believe that the cause of our childs death was caused by the facility's negligence in care or fail safes. While this has been an especially grueling several months and my wife & I continue to work through the pain & anger, I have never one felt any hint of anger at the facility. Our baby had a rare instance where there wasn't enough oxygen getting to the brain, nothing the birthing center did could've caused or prevented it. When it was clear something was wrong, there was an entire team in the room, an ambulance was there in minutes treating, and we were in the ER at Wake Med quickly, and from there, quickly transferred to Duke Childrens.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

I have lost an infant very late in pregnancy and it is really the most painful thing that I have yet to experience and I do not wish to experience anything worse.

My heart goes out to you and your wife.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I wanted to add my hospital experience in 2006 at Rex. I asked the nurse for some IV pain meds (was going epidural free) and she was quite short with me and told me if I got them too early I couldn't have them again. She finally consented to giving me some and didn't check my dialation prior to shooting it into my IV. My son was born 20 minutes later with Apgar scores of 1 & 2 barely breathing.
He was revived with Narcam and spent the next 8 hours in observation and was ultimately fine but it was a VERY different experience to my midwife assisted birth in NJ back in 2001 where she actually listened to my body and my cues.

I do hope that none of this causes NC to shy away from midwifery practices. (and p.s. Call The Midwife on PBS is one of my favorite shows).
I have had good and bad experiences with hospitals and I suspect it's pretty much a mixed bag, be it at a hospital or in a birthing center.

I'm sorry that happened do you, but I'm glad your son was okay.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Lawmaker wants state investigation of Cary birthing center :: WRAL.com

Old 04-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Hmm... interesting re: the midwife. I agree with Nelson Dollar. There needs to be an independent investigation.

I'm a bit alarmed that birthing centers are not regulated.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I'm a bit alarmed that birthing centers are not regulated.
Neither are zip lines!

NC zip line industry lacks state inspections, regulations despite deaths :: WRAL.com

(Sorry, I know that's off topic for this thread, but with some similarities to your comment.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary