Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 06:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,327,690 times

Advertisements

The cheapest is Crosslands but it is not the nicest. They are an extended stay.

Years ago we did a 2 week rental through home suite home. Not cheap but everything was included and you are in a furnished apartment.
Furnished Temporary Housing in Raleigh, Durham, Cary | 800-951-2689 Call today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:46 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,174,089 times
Most apartments will do a short term lease, but you will pay a premium for it. I would sign a 12 month lease. The fee to break it is maybe two months rent. As others pointed out the housing market is pretty crazy, so there is no telling when you’ll be able to buy a house. I guess that will depend on your budget and specifications.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:48 AM

124 posts, read 120,901 times
I had this problem last year, and I sympathize as it can be very stressful. In my situation, I wanted short term housing for just myself while I sold my house in another state and the kids finished up school.

My experience was that the places that offered a short term rental were very expensive (1400-1600 per month for an unfurnished 1 bedroom). Renting bare minimum furniture on top of that made it ridiculous.

I turned to Craigslist and looked for summer rentals created from departing college students. I got extremely lucky and found someone with a very nice 1 bedroom apt that was also moving. I assumed the remainder of the lease May-July, and kept the furniture for the previous tenant, as a relative was going to be needing the items at the end of July. It was a perfect arrangement.

My suggestion to you is to look for something like this, maybe post an ad in CL. Take a few items with you so that you can get by without renting furniture. If buying a house is the ultimate plan, this forum can help you with what area to buy in etc. Start looking early so that you have a good idea of what you want and when you find something, act quickly.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,800,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
I had this problem last year, and I sympathize as it can be very stressful. In my situation, I wanted short term housing for just myself while I sold my house in another state and the kids finished up school.

My experience was that the places that offered a short term rental were very expensive (1400-1600 per month for an unfurnished 1 bedroom). Renting bare minimum furniture on top of that made it ridiculous.

I turned to Craigslist and looked for summer rentals created from departing college students. I got extremely lucky and found someone with a very nice 1 bedroom apt that was also moving. I assumed the remainder of the lease May-July, and kept the furniture for the previous tenant, as a relative was going to be needing the items at the end of July. It was a perfect arrangement.

My suggestion to you is to look for something like this, maybe post an ad in CL. Take a few items with you so that you can get by without renting furniture. If buying a house is the ultimate plan, this forum can help you with what area to buy in etc. Start looking early so that you have a good idea of what you want and when you find something, act quickly.
Good info. A related question: when you did the 3 month short-term rental for the summer, did you get your NC driver's license based on the address for the short term rental and then change it afterwards?

Or did you wait until you got a longer term housing situation in NC and then get your driver's license? How did you deal with your car registration, since NC requires a DL before registering a car?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,861,316 times
There are at least 2 such places here, with I think a 3-month minimum, one is called Home Suite Homes and they have properties in some of the more popular apartment complexes. Fully furnished including utilities, plug and play.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 AM

19,393 posts, read 27,674,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
There are at least 2 such places here, with I think a 3-month minimum, one is called Home Suite Homes and they have properties in some of the more popular apartment complexes. Fully furnished including utilities, plug and play. AND PAY out the ying-yang.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 13,569 times
Z0LIN Any chance you have a relocation package with your employer? If yes, they should be able to help with this.

There are some short term/furnished options but as mentioned before the price will be higher. It also depends on exact location, amenities and size.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 PM

569 posts, read 437,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0LIN View Post
Relocating to the area, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for short term rentals? What did you do when relocating?

We would need something from May 1- end of July or Aug.... Just a place so we can begin our jobs and look for a place to buy... preferably furnished but not required..

Thanks all!
What is your budget? I saw something that might work recently on nextdoor.com near me. It was a bit pricey but fully equipped.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM

422 posts, read 518,678 times
I know students who struggle with getting out of their leases come mid-May (university rentals tend to be August or Sept for a year). Try to connect with one of the listserves at Duke, UNC, NCSU for summer sublets.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 PM

20 posts, read 14,380 times
Look on Craigslist and Hotpads for lease takeovers, people looking to break their existing lease due to work, relocation, losing their roommate and don’t want to pay rent alone, or whatever. I was ready to pay a ridiculous amount myself for a short term lease, and found out about lease takeovers. I didn’t have to pay first, last, or security because I was simply transferring the existing lease to my own name from somebody else’s. In fact, at the end of the lease, their security deposit will go to me (assuming no damage). I worked it out with the former tenant and paid them $350 for moving expenses to take over the lease, and confirmed with the leasing office that the existing deposit would go to me, and boom... a 4 month lease which was exactly what I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary