Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 02:34 AM

714 posts, read 722,314 times

Advertisements

I have tickets for DPAC for this evening and there is a Bulls game and the Full Frame festival is wrapping up. So we thought we'd take Uber and not worry about parking. Does anyone use Uber frequently? How difficult is it to get an Uber after a show that will end probably around 9 or 9:30?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
The big issue is "surge pricing".

Unlike taxis, Uber has no standard prices set by law. When you ask for a ride, you may be shocked by the asking price which is set by demand. Of course, you will know the fare and have the option to accept or reject it.

It is not a good thing. If licensed cabs disappear, it will be a bad thing for customers.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:55 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Very easy. As in you'll have one in <5 minutes easy.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:20 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Incredibly easy. I recently got an Uber into downtown Durham and got another one out after 2am. So you should have no issues!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:30 AM

530 posts, read 638,019 times
You will never have an issue getting an uber in downtown Durham. I live and play here, and never have had an issue no matter the hour.

It is true that you may have to deal with surge pricing.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The big issue is "surge pricing".

Unlike taxis, Uber has no standard prices set by law. When you ask for a ride, you may be shocked by the asking price which is set by demand. Of course, you will know the fare and have the option to accept or reject it.

It is not a good thing. If licensed cabs disappear, it will be a bad thing for customers.
Too late for OP, but this information is misleading. I guess it is technically correct, but definitely misleading.

If you request an uber and pricing is surging (they will make SURE you know the price before you accept), you have options:

1. Wait 15 minutes, because on the driver side, when pricing is surging, every driver within range gets an alarm message, so drivers go piling in for the surge price. In otherwords, supply in increased, and it quickly ends.
2. If you are near DBAP and DPAC, and both are emptying out, there will be surge pricing. If you don't feel like waiting it out, just walk a half a mile away (sometimes nice after sitting for 2-3 hours at a game or show). If you stay in main/busy areas it is totally safe. Time will pass, AND you'll be away from the surge. This is really just an extension of #1 in case you are like me and don't like to sit. Heck, just walk to the train station or something.
3. Pay the price if you want.

Cabs, unlike Uber, are very unsafe. With a cab, you get into a car that is painted yellow, but there is no record of who is driving it, or who is getting in. Uber, you know the driver's name, car-make and license. When they stop to pick you up, you can verify the license, verify you know their name, and ask them to tell you your name (to prove they are the right driver).

And if all else fails, you can still hail a cab if that's what you want to do.

Oh, and to OP: Another option to look into is the train. It stops in Cary and Raleigh. Not sure how late the last train is, but it's a nice, and cheap way to travel if it suits your schedule. I think it's about $7, and parking is free in Cary.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
I took Uber Sunday night with no issues. Finding the car after the show at DPAC was tricky but no real problems. The ride was five bucks more after the show due to surge pricing, but to me, as a former NYC theatregoer, being able to get there and back 20 minutes each way for a total of 30 bucks including tip is well worth it.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 PM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
No issues, except I use Lyft instead. It's generally cheaper (which leaves more room for a nice tip) and they treat drivers better.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Too late for OP, but this information is misleading. I guess it is technically correct, but definitely misleading.

If you request an uber and pricing is surging (they will make SURE you know the price before you accept), you have options:

1. Wait 15 minutes, because on the driver side, when pricing is surging, every driver within range gets an alarm message, so drivers go piling in for the surge price. In otherwords, supply in increased, and it quickly ends.
2. If you are near DBAP and DPAC, and both are emptying out, there will be surge pricing. If you don't feel like waiting it out, just walk a half a mile away (sometimes nice after sitting for 2-3 hours at a game or show). If you stay in main/busy areas it is totally safe. Time will pass, AND you'll be away from the surge. This is really just an extension of #1 in case you are like me and don't like to sit. Heck, just walk to the train station or something.
3. Pay the price if you want.

Cabs, unlike Uber, are very unsafe. With a cab, you get into a car that is painted yellow, but there is no record of who is driving it, or who is getting in. Uber, you know the driver's name, car-make and license. When they stop to pick you up, you can verify the license, verify you know their name, and ask them to tell you your name (to prove they are the right driver).

And if all else fails, you can still hail a cab if that's what you want to do.

Oh, and to OP: Another option to look into is the train. It stops in Cary and Raleigh. Not sure how late the last train is, but it's a nice, and cheap way to travel if it suits your schedule. I think it's about $7, and parking is free in Cary.
To the first point, drivers, from what I understand, don't get an alarm message about surge. They'll see what areas are currently on surge on their maps but a driver in, say, Raleigh or Chapel Hill, may not see a surge in Durham. As for the train, I don't think that'd be an option. The last train of the night that calls in both Durham and Cary, the #76 Piedmont, gets into Durham at 7:57 PM, too early to be a viable option for most evening shows at DPAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary